Main Menu

The Expanse

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 19 December, 2015, 09:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Quote from: Rara Avis on 12 January, 2021, 06:00:36 AM
On a side note; how does he maintain his physique in zero gravity?

He re-sleeved
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Rara Avis

I only ask because the show (books) are lauded for their true to life physics and yet both Amos and Holden not only keep their gainz but increase their gainz in space .. I guess they just need to shoot a scene in the Roci's as yet unseen onboard gym.

IndigoPrime

The TV show also abandoned making lots of the off-worlders really tall.

wedgeski

We're just cracking on with Season 5 right now. It's essentially flawless.

repoman

I tried to give this a go back on season one and gave up after an episode because I couldn't really make out a lot of the dialogue.

My brother in law recommended the show and when I mentioned that he said 'yeah, I watch it with subtitles on.'

Is that still a thing?

broodblik

That is one of the most difficult thing about Expanse when the belters start to talk. Using sub-titles is a nice way around it. Throughout the series you have too deal with the belters. Still it is a great series
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

We watch everything with subs on. In part, that habit for my wife—in her country, everything is subbed, but only children's fare is dubbed. Obvs, subs aren't in English there, but she likes having words. But also, sound mixes are so dreadful these days—especially if you have a standard stereo set-up like we do—that we often rely on the subs to actually hear anything. (This is further exacerbated by mini-IP being in the room above where the telly is, and getting—rightfully—grumpy with us if the TV's too loud after she's gone to bed.)

Fortunately, Amazon Prime's mostly solid with subtitles.

wedgeski

Huh. Can't say we've ever had a problem with that.

Tjm86

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 13 January, 2021, 01:35:19 PM
We watch everything with subs on. ...

I'm the same but mainly because my hearing is so crap the only way I can hear properly if it is at cinema level so the residents half way down the hill complain!  Discovered the joys of subtitles years ago.

To be fair Amazon is actually pretty good on the ST front.  BBC is always fun to watch with them on, mainly for how bad they are at it (not to mention the Ceefax effect ... I mean seriously ... that died out decades ago!)

Tiplodocus

There was definitely more mumbling in Season 1 and not just the Belters. But it definitely reduces whether by me getting used to the characters and the terminology or by them doing something on the production side, I don't  know.

If the latter, can someone give them Christopher Nolan's phone number.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

IndigoPrime

BBC is one of my bugbears, or more specifically iPlayer on Apple TV, which still lacks subtitles. BBC argues its system isn't compatible with Apple's (or the other way around), but as a public broadcaster, this is contrary to its remit. (Also, notably, Netflix, Amazon and even bloody NOW TV don't seem to have any problems.)

shaolin_monkey

My god, this season is just fantastic, isn't it? Caught up with the last two episodes last night, and was blown away. So much great stuff going on!

If I was to compare it to the other sci-fi shows I watch with any regularity I would put it just below The Mandalorian and WAAAAAY ahead of ST: Discovery!!

IndigoPrime

I like it much more than Mando (which I did enjoy). It's just so rich in every way.

Tiplodocus

I'm still on Season3 and up to now, if you squint, you could pretend that THE EXPANSE is a Star Trek prequel. Before Cochrane. Maybe.

I'm similar with SF show rankings as IP with regards to Mando and Shaolin wrt Trek. Modern Star Trek is mostly coasting on my good will to the franchise.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Finding the middle of Season 2 a bit of a chore. From the inner solar system feeling like a vast and challenging place, everything now seems to be zipping from Earth to the Belt and back in the same time it takes Miller to drag a nuke into a bar.