Main Menu

Dr Who Christmas 2010.....

Started by Buddy, 25 December, 2010, 07:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.I.K.

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 01 January, 2011, 04:41:43 PM
moffat's an arse

This may well be true, but he's also a far better writer than RTD ever was.

Jim_Campbell

My statistical sampling, jim, is the mates of mine who have been fans for years and who thought it ranged from 'shit' to 'okay'. And my kids, who have tried to watch it twice and given up both times, because it was 'very boring'.
Im not a nuwho person, and moffat's an arse, so it's not for me im afraid!

I know all that. I may have been slightly guilty of trying to wind you up. Pay me no mind. :-)

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mardroid

My statistical sampling, jim, is the mates of mine who have been fans for years and who thought it ranged from 'shit' to 'okay'. And my kids, who have tried to watch it twice and given up both times, because it was 'very boring'.

I loved it, but I do get the impression it wasn't one for the kiddies due to the slower pace. It does make me wonder how Old Who was so successful with the kids for all those years though! I'll admit, I haven't seen a whole lot of it, but nearly all the episodes I have seen* work on a much slower pace than much of new Who, including A Christmas Carol.

The plotting was generally good but the pacing would sometimes have me yelling "Move it along!" at the screen.

Have kids attitudes changed that much? Or is it just that new child fans are so used to the faster pace that this type of episode throws them?

Or maybe it's just the prevalence of monsters in Old Who. But then we had a fantastic shark in this! (I'd have preferred a more alien fish species too though, but I understand why they took that route.) (Incidentally, did anyone notice that the shark seemed to change in size depending on situation? It was hulking enought to menace and drag a hansom carriage, but small enough to squeeze into a smaller ice-box. Hee, hee.)

*Mainly borrowed from the library. I'm slightly embarrassed to say, I wasn't into Doctor Who as a kid as it scared me. Considering the horror stuff I really like now, that's laughable. Later on I just never took to it. After becoming an avid watcher of New Who, I took the dip into older episodes. I've still a lot to see, but most I found rather boring, though the plotting was probably better than much of New Who. City of Death was cracking though.

M.I.K.

When I was a kid I much preferred Sapphire and Steel to Rentaghost.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: M.I.K. on 01 January, 2011, 06:47:49 PM
When I was a kid I much preferred Sapphire and Steel to Rentaghost.

And that is why you fail...

COMMANDO FORCES

I enjoyed the way the Shark seemed to change size to fit each location that it visited. I would also really have enjoyed it if it managed to eat his companion, as she is a terrible actor (I would have said actress but I think the ladies like to be called actors these days).

Tiplodocus

Just watched this again tonight (To save you rereading whole thread: 2010 Doctor Who Christmas Special; Matt Smith, Michael Gambon, Kathryn Jenkins... basically A Christmas Carol with flying sharks).

It was great.

Favourite bit: "I am well recognised as being a mature adult". Brandishes Psychic Paper at child. "Oh, it's fused... finally, a lie too big!".

Matt Smith was fantastic. And Moffat seemed on fire with the gags and sincerity in this one.

But boy, we were a bit more, let's be polite and say,  "laddish" back in 2010. Glad we moved on a bit.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Bad City Blue

And the Lara Croft award for digging up an ancient thread goes to...
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Mardroid

I'm shocked Matt Smith was doctor 8 years ago! Time really seems to be speeding up as I get older...