Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Quote from: JamesC on 02 September, 2017, 07:58:02 AM
The Nice Guys.

Absolutely loved it. I didn't think they made quality buddy films like this anymore.
It was quite reminiscent of The Last Boy Scout.

Did you watch Kiss Kiss Bang Bang?

JamesC

No, I'd heard he title but I think I got it mixed up with The Long Kiss Goodnight for some reason.

Goaty

Worth it to watch Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

JamesC

I'll have to check it out. Be handy if it's on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Mardroid

Made in America

I'm not really into films based on real stories, but I was with friends, so I figured it's worth a go.

It was quite an interesting film, actually. It's amazing to see what Tom Cruise's pilot character got away with... and then remember... it's based on stuff that happened.

There was quite a bit of humour along the way too.
I confess that by the last half hour (or was it an hour? It seemed very long...) I was bored silly and hoped the film would end soon. I suspect this is me, but I not the film,  though.

Not a favourite film, by a long shot, but I'm glad I watched it, as it's quite an eye opener.

I hope I get film choice next time we go, though.  :lol:

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Mardroid on 02 September, 2017, 08:37:18 PM
Made in America

I'm not really into films based on real stories, but I was with friends, so I figured it's worth a go.

It was quite an interesting film, actually. It's amazing to see what Tom Cruise's pilot character got away with... and then remember... it's based on stuff that happened.

There was quite a bit of humour along the way too.
I confess that by the last half hour (or was it an hour? It seemed very long...) I was bored silly and hoped the film would end soon. I suspect this is me, but I not the film,  though.

Not a favourite film, by a long shot, but I'm glad I watched it, as it's quite an eye opener.

I hope I get film choice next time we go, though.  :lol:

The Infiltrator is on SKY movies at the moment and stars Bryan Branston and basically continues the story and is very good.

von Boom

Guardians of the Galaxy 2. A worthy successor to the first film.

Back to School. Probably my favourite Rodney Dangerfield film. I have to watch it every few months. There are just so many great performances and one liners.

Professor Bear

Moonlight is not a projects-set werewolf film as I originally hoped, but a sexual awakening drama examining three stages of the stunted emotional growth of a young black man unable to defy toxic masculinity within African-American culture as he progresses from child to teen to adult.  An interesting choice of subject matter married to a triptych narrative structure creates a sadly unique take on young black Americans, but I ultimately felt alienated by its lack of insight or possibility of happiness for its protagonist.  His emotional epiphany seems somewhat confused, too, being a mix of his and another character's experiences melded in one final image.
An interesting but - for me - ultimately unrewarding film.

TordelBack

Who are you, and what have you done with the Prof?

Professor Bear

TordelBack

Frank

Quote from: Professor Bear on 03 September, 2017, 09:04:19 PM
I also watched Robot Jox.

The scene where Robot Jox wanks off the other robot jox was sensitively handled.

Moonlight is the most over praised film I've seen. It's perfectly nice and conspicuously well behaved*, but it's unexceptional.

The Oscar win was definitely a case of marking a moment. The next seven Best Picture award winners will be Trump's most terrible legacy.

* Its approach to homosexual sex is analogous to the way Gone With The Wind depicts slavery; calculated not to alienate anyone who finds the topic uncomfortable

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Frank on 03 September, 2017, 10:48:31 PM________ is the most over praised film I've seen. It's perfectly nice and conspicuously well behaved*, but it's unexceptional.

You can slot just about any 'best' film into that sentence.

Keef Monkey

Hush - Mick Garris had an interview with the director of this on a recent Post Mortem podcast (which is fantastic if you like horror!) and hearing him talk about his films got me interested enough to check them out. I thought this was really good, a nice twist on the home invasion slasher horror (the resident is deaf and mute, and that idea of someone creeping around your house when you can't hear them is pretty chilling) with some excellent tense moments and shocks. Will definitely be watching more of his films.

The Assassin - If I'm honest I struggled to follow the plot for chunks of this, or maybe just failed to absorb some of the early exposition and set-up enough to follow later events clearly (it was very late in my defence) but my word did this look so sumptuous that the plot didn't matter. A gorgeous film to look at, I got totally lost in it. Makes some interesting use of colour, sound and changing aspect ratios from scene to scene, but never in a way that's distracting, always in a way that feeds the experience. Will watch again (and pay more attention to the early plot set-up)!

Trance - This was okay, I maybe expected a bit more with it being Danny Boyle. The performances are great (especially Dawson and McEvoy) and I was right on board and pretty gripped for the bulk of it, but it did start to lose me a bit about mid-way when it just seemed to lose a bit of focus and get a tad messy. It definitely has a strong concept and some neat twists, but just didn't really hold together as well as it could have. There was also one particular shot which had been used in the trailer which turned out to be a bit spoilery which was annoying. Oh and there was that other shot or Rosario Dawson, which no doubt is what the film will be most remembered for. Crikey.

Link Prime

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 04 September, 2017, 10:20:42 AM
Hush - Mick Garris had an interview with the director of this on a recent Post Mortem podcast (which is fantastic if you like horror!) and hearing him talk about his films got me interested enough to check them out. I thought this was really good, a nice twist on the home invasion slasher horror (the resident is deaf and mute, and that idea of someone creeping around your house when you can't hear them is pretty chilling) with some excellent tense moments and shocks. Will definitely be watching more of his films.

I thought Hush was pretty good too, well worth seeking out for genre fans.
Garris was the man behind the great but uneven 'Masters of Horror' TV series, featuring the most disturbing hour of TV ever broadcast- Imprint.