Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Cow

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 10 April, 2012, 01:04:25 AM
I feel a couple of Thomas Jefferson quotes coming on;

Yes, I always find that pre-Industrial Revolution, slave-owning, dead US Presidents provide tremendous insight into the social & political issues of the 21st Century.

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 10 April, 2012, 01:07:27 AM
2003 called and it wants its website back.

I don't get it...

Quote from: A.Cow on 10 April, 2012, 02:09:24 AM
Yes, I always find that pre-Industrial Revolution, slave-owning, dead US Presidents provide tremendous insight into the social & political issues of the 21st Century.

It's not specific issues that I quoted Jefferson about, it was certain broadstroke truths he espoused that have relevance to this day (the dangers of a central bank, pitfalls of foreign intervention, the primacy of individual liberty, the dangers of an unelected-therefore-unaccountable judiciary acting as proxy legislators, etc) and as far as owning slaves goes, it was just the mindset back then, and the U.S. Founding Fathers had very real reservations about the issue of slavery, which is why the three-fifths clause was inserted in the Constitution, to limit the influence and over-representation of slave states in Congress relative to their population demographics... and I would take Jefferson or any of the Founders over ANY Euro-trash leader any day of the week and twice on Sundays, never has a more enlightened group of scholarly, learned, and genuinely wise men ever been involved in the founding a nation state, period!
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

JOE SOAP

Sadly it all went down-hill from 1787.

Goaty

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 April, 2012, 02:50:29 AM
Sadly it all went down-hill from 1787.

It's went down-hill when I post hot photos of Lena Headey?

Yeah I agree

malkymac

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 09 April, 2012, 09:35:09 PM
I'm still a leftie (as in left of Joseph Stalin), I'm surprised I thought I'd gone more right (of Genghis Khan).

Ghengis Khan was actually a bit of a leftie - you did not have to pay tax if you were a doctor or a teacher was amongst other quite liberal laws that he came up with such as freedom of religious expression and you could progress in Mongol society no matter where you born born or what colour you were.

History treats him a bit unfairly I think.

JamesC

Quote from: malkymac on 10 April, 2012, 09:46:54 AM
Quote from: Zarjazzer on 09 April, 2012, 09:35:09 PM
I'm still a leftie (as in left of Joseph Stalin), I'm surprised I thought I'd gone more right (of Genghis Khan).

History treats him a bit unfairly I think.

Probably coz of all those people he chopped up. :P

M.I.K.

History's not too keen on Stalin either, for similar reasons.

Spikes

Yet history treats Stalin better than Hitler.

M.I.K.

Stalin had a better moustache.

Beeks

No offence intended but can you stop talking bollox on here?

I get excited when I see a bump (Ooh Matron)
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

vzzbux

Quote from: Judge Jack on 10 April, 2012, 05:28:32 PM
Yet history treats Stalin better than Hitler.
Stalin has a higher death toll under his mantle the Hitler. Every now and then a mass grave is uncovered in the former Soviet Union, the fruits of his dictatorship.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

JOE SOAP

Dredd has a higher death toll, East-Meg-One for starters.

vzzbux

Dredd was a victim of circumstance and did what needed to be done.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Goaty

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 April, 2012, 08:52:42 PM
Dredd has a higher death toll, East-Meg-One for starters.

With billion of deaths in his name? That why he is the dangerous man alive in Mega City...

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: Beeks on 10 April, 2012, 07:16:15 PM
No offence intended but can you stop talking bollox on here?

Speaking as someone who contributed more than his fair share of "bollox" here (I'll admit it), I agree with Beeks on this one, but it's the lack of any new Dredd news and/or a trailer that's driving us all a bit mad at the mo'...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.