Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Original-Judge-Dredd-to-Blast-onto-Blu-ray-in-September/10847

QuoteDisney is bringing back the original Judge Dredd film starring Sylvester Stallone on September 18 in anticipation of the forthcoming reboot three days later on September 21. Dredd debuted in 1995 and saw Stallone go up against Armand Asante.

*sigh*
Never rub another mans rhubarb

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty) on 25 June, 2012, 01:16:02 AM
QuoteDisney is bringing back the original Judge Dredd film starring Sylvester Stallone on September 18 in anticipation of the forthcoming reboot three days later on September 21. Dredd debuted in 1995 and saw Stallone go up against Armand Asante.
*sigh*

It would be a good opportunity to release Danny Cannon's original cut - for he did one before it was yanked away for reshoots - alongside the (*shudder*) theatrical cut, the original teaser and theatrical trailers, a decent 'making of' documentary, and even a Danny Cannon audio commentary... I know that's not going to happen, but you can dream...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

blackmocco

Cannon's as guilty as Stallone for mucking up the '95 one. Out of his depth.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: blackmocco on 25 June, 2012, 03:47:44 AM
Cannon's as guilty as Stallone for mucking up the '95 one. Out of his depth.

I'm getting in the habit of defending Cannon here, but I actually think he's the lesser evil in that whole sorry affair; it wasn't Cannon who brought in DeSouza to wreck the Wisher/Green draft, it wasn't Cannon who demanded changes on-set like Stallone did, it wasn't Cannon who wanted the crappy reshoots that turned an already-flawed film into an outright travesty (it was Stallone again), and it wasn't Cannon who chopped the film to shreds in the pursuit of an unsuitable PG-13 rating, and he may have only been 27 or something when he directed it, but he certainly had talent and vision, which would have made a considerably better film if the producers (and Stallone) had aided him rather than hindered him...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

COMMANDO FORCES

He may be the lesser evil but he is still evil  ;)

The Adventurer

Quote from: Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty) on 25 June, 2012, 01:16:02 AM
http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Original-Judge-Dredd-to-Blast-onto-Blu-ray-in-September/10847

*sigh*

We've known Judge Dredd would be getting the Blu-ray treatment for months. And frankly I'm kinda glad it is (bit of a Blu-ray fiend you see). The fact is, Judge Dredd is always going to exist, and yes it is a flawed film. But it is a piece of Judge Dredd history, and its worth having in the high possible... er... quality for that reason alone.

I'm sort of glad DREDD fast tracked the Blu-ray of Judge Dredd.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

radiator

Yep, I'll be buying the Blu ray. Never owned it on any format, and enough time has passed now that I can enjoy it for what it is. Demolition Man's still better though.

As for the mythical 'directors cut' of Judge Dredd, I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist. As I understand it they reinserted pretty much everything that was cut when they failed to secure a lower certificate.

There was obviously some footage shot of the clones, but I don't think that footage was ever used in any cut of the final movie.

radiator

Waiting to see what the packaging and features are like though. If it sucks I'll buy the German steelbook instead.

Michaelvk

Quote from: radiator on 25 June, 2012, 08:30:02 AM
Waiting to see what the packaging and features are like though. If it sucks I'll buy the German steelbook instead.

Wouldn't that be Stahlbuch?
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Steve Green

The existing German blu-ray is light on features, I can't see them doing much different - at best collating all the EPK/TV spots from the time.

brendan1

"What we do appear to have is the sort of storyline that might have been wrapped up in a single episode of the strip, rather than one of the more epic tales that spread over several issues. Urban does an impressive, and entirely appropriate, Clint Eastwood impression as Dredd (Wagner and Ezquerra were thinking of Dirty Harry when they came up with the character), and Travis seems to have been reading the Zack Snyder guide to epic slo-mo.

For me, this Dredd has the look of a slightly po-faced take on Mega-City One – one conceived in 2008, when Christopher Nolan's stern and visceral The Dark Knight had driven all before it at the global box office – when a bit of big, brash and bold Paul Verhoeven-style razzmatazz might have been more in order."

I agree with some of this Guardian quote. While I was was, like most, really pleased with the trailer, I'm still as underwhelmed with the plot (and script) as I was when I first read it. Just seems rather....small.

Yes, Urban's Dredd appears to be spot-on, but is the story interesting enough? The point about "Verhoeven razzmatazz" is not one I would go along with neccessarily - although bigger budget would have been nice - but I still want to feel a bit of the "epic scale" which befits the strip and its setting.

ming

One thing that niggles me slightly at this stage is that the Big Meg we seem to be getting doesn't seem the likeliest setting for fatties, batgliders, simps and a large chunk of the quirky multitude of the populace of the city as we've grown to know it.  Not the end of the world, I'll admit, but I'd still love to see this diversity on the big screen.

Taps, dunks, scrawlers, jimps - certainly these fit right in, but they're all a bit pedestrian, if you know what I mean.

Michaelvk

Quote from: ming on 25 June, 2012, 09:31:21 AM
One thing that niggles me slightly at this stage is that the Big Meg we seem to be getting doesn't seem the likeliest setting for fatties, batgliders, simps and a large chunk of the quirky multitude of the populace of the city as we've grown to know it.  Not the end of the world, I'll admit, but I'd still love to see this diversity on the big screen.

Taps, dunks, scrawlers, jimps - certainly these fit right in, but they're all a bit pedestrian, if you know what I mean.
Quote from: brendan1 on 25 June, 2012, 09:23:24 AM
I agree with some of this Guardian quote. While I was was, like most, really pleased with the trailer, I'm still as underwhelmed with the plot (and script) as I was when I first read it. Just seems rather....small.

While yes, it is rather small, so to speak, and not as textured as the comic, but I reckon it's probably safer to go this route to gently reintroduce the character to the movie going crowd, allowing for an expansion of scope in a subsequent sequel. Keeping it confined allows you to get to know the character instead of being overwhelmed by the world its in and lose track of who or what Dredd and Anderson are all about.
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

chuffsteruk

This months Empire has arrived,with a little more about Dredd.New pic of MC1 and a little bit of text.

My scanner's knackered, so I can scan anything in.Sorry:(

Think it's out in the shops on Thursday.

Goaty

Quote from: chuffsteruk on 25 June, 2012, 09:49:17 AM
This months Empire has arrived,with a little more about Dredd.New pic of MC1 and a little bit of text.

My scanner's knackered, so I can scan anything in.Sorry:(

Think it's out in the shops on Thursday.

Use the mobile!