Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Leigh S on 08 July, 2012, 11:15:56 PM
If a Dredd film avoids "ripping off" Robocop, then won't it not be much of a Dredd film?

That's not the issue being discussed. Avoiding same dramatic incident is not changing Dredd. Being the same tone is not ripping-off, but same scene content is or will be seen as such since it's one of the most infamous scenes in RoboCop wherever it came from.

Stan

I think Robocop is just the obvious example, but I'd like Dredd's intro to be a little more original than using the whole shooting of hostage to get the bad guy cliche. The first thing that came to mind is Robocop. But then there'd Speed. And Bruce Willis even shot himself in Die Hard 4.

Frying someone's face like an egg is more memorable I think. B)

JOE SOAP

You may want some spoiler tags there.

Stan

That did occur to immediately after I hit post. Though anyone reading an email notification is screwed anyway.

Leigh S

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 08 July, 2012, 11:22:48 PM
Quote from: Leigh S on 08 July, 2012, 11:15:56 PM
If a Dredd film avoids "ripping off" Robocop, then won't it not be much of a Dredd film?

That's not the issue being discussed. Avoiding same dramatic incident is not changing Dredd. Being the same tone is not ripping-off, but same scene content is or will be seen as such since it's one of the most infamous scenes in RoboCop wherever it came from.

Sure, avoid something thats been stolen, but replace it with something thats tonally Dredd... if this is a replacement, it seems (from the description, so maybe it comes over better but...) to be out of character replacement - or at the very least less inventive than the original even given the original has been round the block a few times since Dredd did it in the comics.

Leigh S

it could well be im fussing over nothing, but I dislike the idea that you may end up skewing your character from its strengths in order to let others claim those strengths for their own.  I'd rather they were in danger of looking like a rip off with somehting that was true to the character than were "original" but in doing so present something that is weaker or misrepresenting the character.  DC Dredd had a good few original feeling Dredd moments by veering off the chart of where you'd expect Dredd moments to be, as a crude example.

darnmarr

I have to concede Joe's point: that one element of the scene  i.e.[spoiler]citizen-harmed-in-order-to-harm-perp-even-more[/spoiler] is not classic, Wagner-penned, Dredd-of-the-comics, behaviour.
But this is a different set-up: this is a live-action reincarnation launched into a 21st century cultural zeitgeist, ( that is long-sated by many elements of the original Dredd, elements that have already crept into public conciousness via other means, with probably Robocop being the greatest offender).

Like the uniform, the Dredd character has to be right for this medium and for now: the Dredd required for this purpose is not Wagner's Dredd, or Grant's Dredd, or Mark Millar's or even David Bishop's but Alex Garland's Dredd.

So sure, it's a deviation, it didn't bother Wagner himself so why should it bother you?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: darnmarr on 09 July, 2012, 12:05:45 AM
I have to concede Joe's point: that one element of the scene  i.e.[spoiler]citizen-harmed-in-order-to-harm-perp-even-more[/spoiler] is not classic, Wagner-penned, Dredd-of-the-comics, behaviour.

That wasn't my point. The behaviour and tone of that RoboCop scene is reflective of classic Dredd - probably the most Dreddian scene in the whole film- but I don't see why the incident should be dramatically repeated in a new Dredd film. He can do something else equally Dreddian instead which he may well have in the reshoot scene.

darnmarr

Indeed. Well then, here's hoping, and even if not- perhaps the rest of the film will make up for it.

shaolin_monkey

Chill guys, I'm sure it'll be fine! 

Stan

[spoiler]They started it.[/spoiler]

COMMANDO FORCES

Drokkin' too right it's gonna be fine. When you listen to these guys talk about the film and not just on the panels. Me, Steve Green, Albion and dweezil2 had a chat with Alex Garland after the panel and you can feel the love and knowledge of the character with what he (and they) said!

I can't wait to read the feedback from those lucky buggers over at SDCC.

But they ain't got one of these though  ;)

shaolin_monkey

Brilliant, just brilliant! Nice one mate, you must be totally chuffed. A great pay-off after being on your feet for so long, eh?

COMMANDO FORCES

It was a pleasure doing my tiny bit, wait till you see what I post tomorrow. I can't take pics in this light, so need some daylight to show it well. It's the massive poster with a lot more written on it  :D

Beeks

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 08 July, 2012, 02:11:10 PM
Nice read...He says it must gross 50 million in the states,looking at the top 200 R rated films,number 200 grossed 70 mil.
Unless Dredd is an absolute stinker I think it has a good chance of getting a sequel.Freddy Vs Jason grossed 80
+ and that should attract the casual gore hounds to Dredd.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic/mpaa.htm?page=R&sort=gross&order=DESC&p=.htm

When you put it that way..makes me feel a lot better as far as the numbers are concerned
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens