Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: dracula1 on 28 July, 2012, 08:56:00 PM
My Batman viewing is next week, almost looking forward to seeing the Dredd trailer more than the main film! :P

Don't want to rain on your parade ,but it may not be on. I saw TDKR last week, wasn't on ,same with some others on here -depends where you are I guess.

judgeblake

My first post in this thread later on.......;

But is it definate that Urban IS infact channelling Clint Eastwood for his portrayal of Dredd? :D

Maybe for a sequel they could coax Eastwood to have a cameo as Judge Fargo, and even cast the actor I'd class as 2nd in line to play Dredd Hugh Jackman as Rico?

judgeblake

Quote from: Glenn Broadway on 22 June, 2012, 03:52:54 PM
Quote from: BOODA on 22 June, 2012, 10:41:39 AM
...and it's definitely not a criticism of the direction either, both of us were delighted with the quality of the trailer....Just thought I'd share it guys and gals.
Dredd Chin
http://www.candykiller.com/extras/dredd.jpg

I haven't seen that image before... Where's it from? I only ask because I just mentioned (in the trailer thread) how in one shot his shoulder pad is very gold. It is here, also.

Just my thought on this and Urban's/dredd's chin in the new film - I have always imagined Dredd abnormally pushing out his chin rather than having a massive fortsyth/jimmy hill chin.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: judgeblake on 28 July, 2012, 10:15:50 PM

Maybe for a sequel they could coax Eastwood to have a cameo as Judge Fargo, and even cast the actor I'd class as 2nd in line to play Dredd Hugh Jackman as Rico?

But they're both clones of the original. Why couldn't Urban play all 3?

dweezil2

My first post in this thread later on.......;

But is it definate that Urban IS infact channelling Clint Eastwood for his portrayal of Dredd? :D

There's a very definite Eastwoodesque vibe to Karl Urban's performance, which just goes to show how well he knows his Dredd, in my opinion.
An actual Eastwood cameo in any subsequent movie would be awesome!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

judgeblake

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 28 July, 2012, 10:31:50 PM

But they're both clones of the original. Why couldn't Urban play all 3?

aaah mindfuck

TordelBack

Quote from: judgeblake on 28 July, 2012, 10:15:50 PMMaybe for a sequel they could coax Eastwood to have a cameo as Judge Fargo

That, Sir, is a great idea, even if the immediate precedent is Jack Sparrow/Keef Richards. 

Stan

Maybe have him play Judge Death.

Some kind of flashback cameo as Fargo would be great marketing fodder though.

JOE SOAP

I think an Eastwood cameo would cost more than it's worth. He's also nearly 83.

Goaty

Clint could be too old, how about Ron Perlman? (with helmet still cover him)

JOE SOAP

I don't see why, since Fargo would only appear in flashback, Urban can't play him.

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 28 July, 2012, 11:58:35 PM
I think an Eastwood cameo would cost more than it's worth. He's also nearly 83.

Details, details.

JOE SOAP

You are a devil, aren't you.

judgeblake

Eastwood said he wouldn't act again after Gran Torino - he's acting again in Trouble with the Curve.
Mind you, I think he was coaxed by a director he has known/ worked with/ likes.

All I ask is that he's in a beginning bit showing Judge Fargo that precedes the film.

Here's my pitch (lol) - for a scene entitled The Father of Justice that would precede and lead into the main body of the film (Dredd sequel) =

Mega City One some time ago before the first film took place - Chief Judge Fargo presides - but he sees his Judges and law system showing cracks and becoming corrupt (Judge Cal could feature?). Somehow he must make an example of himself as a symbol of Justice. In a flashback revealing origins of Rico and Dredd he could be shown to cultivate his own DNA (with secretive Mega City scientists) behind the scenes of a law he felt was becoming corrupt - creating men he hoped he could trust that had his sense of morality to maintain Justice in Mega City One. Fargo calls all Judges together and publicly speaks out against the corrupt Judges and kills several of them in front of the rest of the Judges. Here we could see some Dirty Harry style spiel where Eastwood judges the corrupt Judges sentencing them to death (in a kind of parallel 'do you feel lucky punk'). Although he has maintained Justice within his own Judges and Halls of Justice, he has sacrificed himself and his leadership by murdering and judging his fellow Judges and he is exiled - we then see Eastwood wander off like a 'High Plains Drifter' or a lone gunman into The Cursed Earth - perhaps stopping to sigh and then growl/mutter "I will bring justice to these lawless lands!" (Charlton Heston style) before disappearing into the sand blown Cursed Earth.   

Then cut to an elipses/ montage title sequence with music showing Goodman being sworn in as Chief Judge, A memorial to Judge Fargo erected in the Halls of Justice (I know this is different to the comics) and Fargo's DNA being turned into clones as Rico (Jackman) and Dredd (Urban) are effectively 'born'.

judgeblake