Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Very atmospheric. I like that.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Damn, that's nice!

Zarjazzer

Tis a grand piccie.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: judgeblake on 29 July, 2012, 10:59:40 PM
I keep on comparing Dredd with Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy - but only because of Nolan's mastery of the sci fi anti hero genre in the 1st 2 films of his trilogy. Nolan explore's the varying characters' motivations that they're coming from, and their differing moralities. Batman a right wing masked hero, Joker the anarchic almost nihilistic pyschotic and anti-establishment, and two-face a guy who had set morals but became warped and twisted throught TDK until he became obsessively focused on revenge and the role of fate. If I can compare that to a potential Dredd sequel; Fargo could set the tone as the ultimate moral progenitor of Justice perhaps sacrificing his life of liberty for justice, Dredd and Rico can be shown to come from his DNA but one is a right wing morally Just Judge, and Rico is like the other half of the same coin, he has wandered off the path of justice set out to him due to fate and his subsequent criminal decisions. Rico could therefore playout like Dent/Two Face in TDKR finally turning up at the end of the movie disfigured after his stay on Titan, and seeking revenge.

The Realism and drama of the Batman films work for that franchise but its just not something that I want to see in Dredd. There's a danger that you can be caught up in the dramatic self importance of your story and its characters, to be honest the Nolan approach just bores me after a while.

The films that endure for me are the ones that can tell a good story whilst simultaneously entertaining us with great action, such as Raiders of The Lost Ark, which I don't think has been surpassed by any block buster since its release.

I think the makers of Dredd are correct in their original approach to the character. If there's one thing you can say about the Judge Dredd comics is that there is always a good balance of character and exciting plot.

Maybe Nolan can learn a thing or two about story telling.

Misanthrope

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 30 July, 2012, 11:16:22 AM
Quote from: Misanthrope on 29 July, 2012, 11:50:38 PM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 29 July, 2012, 10:49:59 PM
Perhaps Rico could use his DNA to make everyone think Dredd had committed a murder of some popular figure - a news presenter or journalist or something?  Then Dredd could be disgraced in a trumped up trial and sent to Aspen, where he bumps into someone he recently arrested.  Somehow they escape, maybe via some crazy Cursed Earth gang shooting down the penal ship, and after many daring escapades Dredd confronts Rico, wipes out a clone bank, and throws his brother from the top of something tall.

You know, something like that...

And this is why I rarely post on here.

I aim to please.  But failing that, driving people away will have to do.

Fuck off.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Fisticuffs

Quote from: CYCLOPZ on 30 July, 2012, 04:56:39 PM
Maybe Nolan can learn a thing or two about story telling.

As good as Nolan is I get the feeling his films are just incredibly shiny puddles. fantastic to look at but not very deep. Even Inception wasn't half as clever as many people make out. /offtopic.

Stan

Quote from: Goaty on 30 July, 2012, 10:21:21 AM
Quote from: Stan on 30 July, 2012, 03:05:54 AM
I also forgot to mention yesterday, there's a full-on shot of the eagle in Empire. Small pic but kinda cool.
Yep the iPad scanned image in another thread about Empire feature.

Danke. Now I don't have to buy it.

But I will anyway.

James

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 29 July, 2012, 08:19:45 PM
Moving the penile colony to the moon is a bad and unscientific idea, as everyone knows due to the lack of gravy, you can just leap off the moon and fly back to earth. What use a judicial colony where prisoners were forever escargot by jumble sale? I think they should avoid all mention of richard and anything even tenuously linked to the stalking movie, and go in a completely difficult directive. Less richard in the cupped earth/ angry gang, and more new idiots please!

SBT

This post (and it's mis-spelt follow up) are one of the funniest things I've read in ages, and now we have every time I read Angel Gang I'm going to read it as Angry Gang.

Arsegike, arsom, and now the Angry gang. Grrr.

judgeblake

Quote from: James on 30 July, 2012, 06:20:01 PM
Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 29 July, 2012, 08:19:45 PM
Moving the penile colony to the moon is a bad and unscientific idea, as everyone knows due to the lack of gravy, you can just leap off the moon and fly back to earth. What use a judicial colony where prisoners were forever escargot by jumble sale? I think they should avoid all mention of richard and anything even tenuously linked to the stalking movie, and go in a completely difficult directive. Less richard in the cupped earth/ angry gang, and more new idiots please!

SBT

lol well I thought it was so funny I was sure it was infact intentional randomness lol
This post (and it's mis-spelt follow up) are one of the funniest things I've read in ages, and now we have every time I read Angel Gang I'm going to read it as Angry Gang.

Arsegike, arsom, and now the Angry gang. Grrr.

Stan

TordelBack

Quote from: Stan on 30 July, 2012, 07:07:38 PM
SFX nudged us over the 7 mark...
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dredd_3d/

Lovely.  I know there's a long way to go yet, but I would never have expected to see a spread like that.

JOE SOAP

DREDD 3D To Premiere At This Year's Fantastic Fest

Austin, TX -- Monday, July 30, 2012 -- Judgement is coming to Fantastic Fest with the red carpet premiere of DREDD 3D and the festival's initial lineup of incredible genre films. Fantastic Fest will take place September 20-27 in Austin, Texas at the Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar.

Stan

I think that's Alex Jones's local. I wonder if he'll continue his trend of reviewing upcoming films and set his sights on Dredd.

JOE SOAP

It could do with the publicity.