Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Cow

Quote from: pops1983 on 04 September, 2012, 12:42:17 AM
Doesn't help if you only have one good eye. My uncle can't watch 3D, and no amount of jiggery pokery with the glasses will give him two good eyes

Damn those Hollywood studios and their aversion to monocular depth cues!

CraveNoir

Cineworld have 2D showings, but they're nowhere near as numerous as the 3D.

If it helps, after the first half hour at the fan screening I took the 3D glasses off. It was fine. Most of the time everything in a shot I was supposed to be focusing on was non-blurry anyway.

I may give the 3D another chance, but intend to see it in 2D next -- or at least 3D without the glasses again!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: pops1983 on 04 September, 2012, 12:42:17 AM
Doesn't help if you only have one good eye. My uncle can't watch 3D, and no amount of jiggery pokery with the glasses will give him two good eyes

I'm not sure I understand this. As I grasp the 3D process (admittedly in a simplistic and likely imperfect fashion), 3D movies consist of two sets of images, one is shown in vertically polarised light and one in horizontally polarised light. The lenses in the 3D glasses are similarly polarised, ensuring that each eye gets a different image.

It's the difference between these images that brain interprets as stereoscopic depth and gives the illusion of 3D, but each image is complete in its own right.

Consequently, as I understand the process, if your uncle sticks on a pair of 3D specs, his good eye will see a single set of images -- a filtered and perfectly watchable film in 2D.

(Obviously, you could question why he should pay extra for an element of the film he doesn't benefit from, but that's a different argument. Colour blind people don't get a discount on normal colour movies, as far as I know...)

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

DeFuzzed

Quote from: CraveNoir on 04 September, 2012, 10:48:34 AM
New behind the scenes footage
http://www.mymovies.net/player/default.asp?t=Dredd+Exclusive+Interview+With+Karl+Urban&filmid=1698&ftrid=15175&s=1&n=1

I think I remember Alex saying the dvd was done, that there won't be much goodies in it, which would be a shame. As much as I was looking forward to the movie, I was really looking forward to seeing how the movie was made, from concept to every freaking little thing involved.

Surely they'd consider making another dvd package later on, knowing now what they didn't then how popular this movie is turning out to be?

The Sherman Kid

http://www.mymovies.net/player/default.asp?t=Dredd+Exclusive+Interview+With+Karl+Urban&filmid=1698&ftrid=15175&s=1&n=1

WOW, YET another interview with a complete and utter blank of the director and high priase for Alex and Dodd Mantle. It must have been a massive fall-out.

radiator

They'll probably do a special edition DVD/BD with more features if the standard release sells well.

Personally, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some sort of exclusive slip-case or steel book edition. I'm a sucker for those things, to my shame!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 04 September, 2012, 12:22:28 PMWOW, YET another interview with a complete and utter blank of the director and high priase for Alex and Dodd Mantle. It must have been a massive fall-out.
Or Travis was a work-for-hire director, enabling the vision of the entire creative team. Remember this is often how movies were made in the past and is how some are still made today. The thing is, too many people bang on about the vision of directors as the most important thing in a movie, in part due to named directors being so prominent.

Perhaps there was a 'falling out', but there's nothing to say Travis didn't just get on with his job of directing, while Garland was also there to ensure the writer's vision (and that of Wagner) was maintained. Frankly, it's also nice to see a cinematographer getting props.

hazy efc

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 04 September, 2012, 12:22:28 PM

WOW, YET another interview with a complete and utter blank of the director and high priase for Alex and Dodd Mantle. It must have been a massive fall-out.
I agree i find it weird that whenever pete travis name is brought up alex or carl quickly change the subject like he didnt even exist,well it is what it is the film looks great cant wait to see it on friday  :D

Stan

Stan

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 04 September, 2012, 01:07:06 PM
Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 04 September, 2012, 12:22:28 PMWOW, YET another interview with a complete and utter blank of the director and high priase for Alex and Dodd Mantle. It must have been a massive fall-out.
Or Travis was a work-for-hire director, enabling the vision of the entire creative team. Remember this is often how movies were made in the past and is how some are still made today. The thing is, too many people bang on about the vision of directors as the most important thing in a movie, in part due to named directors being so prominent.

Indeen. Directors often take the glory when things go well, regardless of films being a collaborative effort. Though in fairness they also take the stick when working with poor material. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Bubba Zebill

Something went down, they handled it, let's leave it at that. Bravo to them all for keeping a lid on it and not spilling hissy-fits and bitching to the press - that'd damage this film before it had a chance. Maybe conflict's a sign of how passionate they all were about getting this right ;)
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

DeFuzzed

Quote from: radiator on 04 September, 2012, 12:34:44 PM
They'll probably do a special edition DVD/BD with more features if the standard release sells well.

Personally, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some sort of exclusive slip-case or steel book edition. I'm a sucker for those things, to my shame!

I am bouncing on the inside at the thought, especially if they design the covers to be dreddtastic, maybe with jock involved. And it has to have hours and hours and hours of production details to while away the hours after Christmas dinner.

Bat King

Interest at work seems good - I am recounting my experience of the pre-release screening to several people. Some are definitely going to see the movie.

Spread the word! (no ABC Warriors were harmed in the making of this movie)
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Something Fishy

re 3d. I have rubbish eye balance due to strabismus that's been operated on many times and just keeps getting worse.

for me it's just a blurry mess, two images just appear as exactly that to me, overlapping each other.