Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Quote from: Goaty on 05 September, 2012, 05:27:29 PM
Keef Monkey, it's Spoof website!

Yeah, its a joke. Does make you think, though. Dredd on one hand, Anna Karenina at the other extreme... Is Lawless (blokely film, but with Tom Hardy for the ladies*) going to be the compromise that wins out for many this weekend?

*i know that's very reductive and sexist, but I'm talking in broad terms.

Mudcrab

Quote from: radiator on 05 September, 2012, 06:02:53 PM

Yeah, its a joke. Does make you think, though. Dredd on one hand, Anna Karenina at the other extreme... Is Lawless (blokely film, but with Tom Hardy for the ladies*) going to be the compromise that wins out for many this weekend?

That's the one my sister's drawn to, though she is going to see Dredd too (due to my influence). I'm keen on it too though, seeing I just found out its written by Nick Cave! Lawless that is. Heh, so it's "The Law" or Lawless  :D
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

dweezil2

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 05 September, 2012, 06:01:21 PM
Nothing wrong with it,Chuck Norris never sleeps either,he just waits ;)

That's great! I'll let him know!  ;)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Danbo

It's Chuck,he already knows.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Mudcrab on 05 September, 2012, 06:26:55 PM
Quote from: radiator on 05 September, 2012, 06:02:53 PM

That's the one my sister's drawn to, though she is going to see Dredd too (due to my influence). I'm keen on it too though, seeing I just found out its written by Nick Cave! Lawless that is. Heh, so it's "The Law" or Lawless  :D

Yeah, I am keen on Lawless myself thanks to the Cave connection. Only have eyes for one film right now though!

And yeah, I know it was a joke, but if anything it's good publicity because anyone not knowing about Dredd and reading that may well think "hey, that sounds orsum...."

PreacherCain

I saw Lawless yesterday, decent enough fare. Not as good as Hillcoat and Cave's previous film The Proposition and not a patch on The Assassination of Jesse James (a film it appears to be trying to live up to at times but falls wells short of).

It does strike me as a good compromise between Dredd and Anna Kerenina though. Plenty violent too, is Lawless.

Stan

As someone who's not a casual cinema goer It's not a film which stands out. Something in the vain of Dredd would be much more appealing.

SuperSurfer

I am loving this photo from Santa Monica. 

MR. ELIMINATOR

Nice! I would love to see a billboard where I live, but I don't think we even have any. Might get an advert on the side of a bus or something though, but doubt it.

Stan

The BBC and Daily Star finally registered an interest but the Star has something new (for me at least).

DREDD SCARY FOR 3D JUDGE STAR KARL URBAN
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/270864/Dredd-scary-for-3D-Judge-star-Karl-Urban/

"When I sat down and watched it back, I recoiled. I think the violence is actually a character in the film.

"Unlike a lot of films that come out where you get desensitised to the violence because you don't really see the impact, you do see the impact the violence has in our film and I think what the writer has done is smart. He's treated the violence the same way Stanley Kubrick would explore those things in Clockwork Orange and it generates a real edge."

Judge Dredd returns, this time with helmet
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19477994

MR. ELIMINATOR

Less then 48 hours to go!

blackmocco

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 05 September, 2012, 11:45:55 PM
I am loving this photo from Santa Monica. 

No joke, these and these:

are simply EVERYWHERE in Los Angeles right now...
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

blackmocco

(The street sign could be straight out of Mega City 1...)
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

PreacherCain

Quote from: Stan on 05 September, 2012, 11:19:19 PM
As someone who's not a casual cinema goer It's not a film which stands out. Something in the vain of Dredd would be much more appealing.

Oh I don't know. The trailer seems to reference HBO's current prohibition show Boardwalk Empire as well as stuff like Goodfellas and Once Upon a Time in America. I think it'll draw a crowd, particularly as it has such a strong cast and pedigree. Dredd's being pushed as an ultraviolent boys movie which could go either way (300 or, uh, Centurion).

It'll be interesting to see how Dredd fares. The most important thing is that it's bloody good and that'll do me.

PreacherCain

Empire podcast interview with Karl Urban, starts around 40 minutes in.

http://soundcloud.com/empiremagazine/26-august-31-2012-karl-urban