Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Stacey

Stallone may have been a little bit like the character that appears in some early Dredd strips for maybe 5 mins but for the majority of the film the character bore no relation to version of Dredd I've seen, not even the lawman of the future one.

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: James Stacey on 12 September, 2012, 05:17:51 PM
Stallone may have been a little bit like the character that appears in some early Dredd strips for maybe 5 mins but for the majority of the film the character bore no relation to version of Dredd I've seen, not even the lawman of the future one.

Agreed, for most of it he's just a typical Stallone character. But the guy who said, too lazy to quote directly again but "Stallone was never Dredd and could never conceivably be Dredd", well that guy was wrong. We can blame the movie for plenty of things, but for me the casting of Stallone was excellent. As is the casting of Urban. Kind of like how Gibson and Jock both draw Dredd well.

Steve Green

I think there's some denial going in some quarters.

Dredd could be a bit of a nob in the early stories, 'Judge Dredd is here' hands on hips after quitting in the Robot Wars, his coolness under fire in the Statue of Judgment is not far from the derided 'flechette rounds' speech he gives during the Block War in the '95 film.

There's plenty of pompous bellowing in the strip before modern Dredd, which was fine in the comic but cringeworthy on screen.

But I agree, once the uniform comes off it doesn't even have that.

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: Goaty on 12 September, 2012, 02:00:26 PM
Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 12 September, 2012, 01:56:51 PM
A Peter Fish has given Dredd a zero star review on Vue Cinema site without even watching the film!Complained that it was just shown in 3D, bang out of order, I've reported it as abuse-you can't give ZERO stars to a film you haven't even seen!Had could you do that as a 2000ad fan?

what a cunt!

His 'review' has been taken down off the site now :thumbsup:

DeFuzzed

Goaty -

Subtitled Dredd - looks like there's a showing in Greenwich Odeon : http://www.londonnet.co.uk/cinema/greenwichodeon.html

Something Fishy

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 12 September, 2012, 02:53:10 PM
Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 12 September, 2012, 01:56:51 PM
A Peter Fish has given Dredd a zero star review on Vue Cinema site without even watching the film!Complained that it was just shown in 3D, bang out of order, I've reported it as abuse-you can't give ZERO stars to a film you haven't even seen!Had could you do that as a 2000ad fan?

Hmm. Haven't we just had a Fishy board member flounce off here over the whole 3D issue? I wonder if they are, perhaps, related...

Cheers

Jim

I might be pissed off but I am not that big a twat.  No it was not me.  I would never review a film I have not seen.  Ive never reviewed a film to be honest.

Michaelvk

You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Something Fishy on 12 September, 2012, 10:14:08 PM
I might be pissed off but I am not that big a twat.  No it was not me.  I would never review a film I have not seen.  Ive never reviewed a film to be honest.

Welcome back.

Something Fishy

I popped in to see if there's any news on a wider 2d release yet.

I might be annoyed but I still desperately want to see it.  Nothing yet though sadly.

I wasn't expecting to have to reply but it wasn't nice to see my name being associated with that sort of behaviour.  I've been around for years and hoped those who knew me would know I've never shown abusing of being a spiteful cunt like that.

So I had to at least defend myself.

Something Fishy

That should say "any sign of".  Doh.

JOE SOAP

I'm sure more 2D screenings will follow.

Something Fishy

I'm resigned to a home view now, enough said on than.  I just wanted to make sure folk knew I had nothing to do with the bullshit.

Mark Taylor

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 11 September, 2012, 08:24:37 PMBoth wifey and I thought it a shame they went for the stupid swearing though. Without it, the gore would have made it a '15' and possibly doubled the box office. Dredd saying "shit" was just... wrong.

Seriously doubt it. Swearing barely registers in film ratings any more. The F-Word is about as shocking as 'bottom' or 'poo' these days. Even my (75 year old, rather old fashioned) mother has given up being shocked by it in the last few years. Give it another decade and it'll be acceptable for the PM to use it during Prime Minister's question time, provided it's used as part of a slightly amusing put-down to the opposition, of course.

Mark Taylor

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 12 September, 2012, 05:20:16 PMAgreed, for most of it he's just a typical Stallone character. But the guy who said, too lazy to quote directly again but "Stallone was never Dredd and could never conceivably be Dredd", well that guy was wrong. We can blame the movie for plenty of things, but for me the casting of Stallone was excellent. As is the casting of Urban. Kind of like how Gibson and Jock both draw Dredd well.

The casing of Stallone was a phenomenally bad move for a variety of reasons, most of them having little to do with his acting. I stopped following the production of that movie the moment the casting was announced. At that point I knew it would suck. Being a Dredd fan, I went to see it anyway, of course. Despite knowing basically nothing about it (other than that Stallone was Dredd) it was almost exactly what I expected.

Perhaps Stallone could, as you say, portray a version of Dredd but it was never going to be a version of Dredd that would make for a decent Dredd movie.

Something Fishy

Just to say btw, I think there are more 2d prints in the wild now.

Looking like a town we can get to has it and it's is in three others nearbye now.  So looks like ,as someone said, they held them back to maximise launch weekend.