Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

Quote from: junox on 16 November, 2012, 04:34:21 PM
yeah  Joe was wondering about that Worldwide Gross: $36,097,247 .. DREDD has  been at that total since Nov 01, 2012   :-*     . I'm personally hoping that it  is nearer  the  $40,000,000 total now if not more . Think we will be surprised how well it does down under in Karl's home turf

Slowly, oh so very slowly, but surely its edging upwards.

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 16 November, 2012, 06:33:09 PM
I should post what it says.Same cast for Dredd and Anderson.

Top Five Reader requests
1# Keep it 18
2#More Judges
3#More of the Cursed Earth
4#2D
5#More Mega-City One

Cant argue with any of that.

PreacherCain

Quote from: Fisticuffs on 16 November, 2012, 08:16:22 AM
Both Bruce Willis and JGL are MASSIVE box office draws, replace them with two lesser known actors and I bet Looper wouldn't have done half as well.

QuoteLooper's total budget was around $60 million (marketing included). Alex Garland confirmed after the screening in London that the actual production budget for Dredd was $35 million. It was later rumoured that $20-25 million was spent on marketing which would make it around $55-60 million in total.

I'm not talking about box office results. Or marketing budgets. I'm talking about what each film managed with their respective production budgets and how - since Looper had to factor in a number of presumably more expensive actors - it still managed to create a more futuristic looking city than Dredd, which apparently had a higher production budget than Looper.

I remember a lot of the reviews said Dredd looked like it was shot with a small budget; yet I didn't hear anyone say the same about Looper, which was shot for less. I think more Mega-City One would have helped (the city is pretty important to the character as a whole, no?) I guess I'm mainly wondering just how much of Dredd's budget was blown on 3D?  :-X

Steve Green

I seem to remember a figure of 15 million (not sure if that was $ or £) being mentioned as the cost of 3D.

There's a breakdown of costs here, I've no idea how accurate this is

http://the3d.co/2012/02/15/native-3d-versus-2d-to-3d-conversion-pros-and-cons/

(stereo conversion adding 5-10%, native stereo 30-50%), but Dredd had some shots post converted, so unless someone from the production has stated what it was, it's a pretty wide range to pick from.

dweezil2

Quote from: PreacherCain on 16 November, 2012, 06:53:02 PM
Quote from: Fisticuffs on 16 November, 2012, 08:16:22 AM
Both Bruce Willis and JGL are MASSIVE box office draws, replace them with two lesser known actors and I bet Looper wouldn't have done half as well.

QuoteLooper's total budget was around $60 million (marketing included). Alex Garland confirmed after the screening in London that the actual production budget for Dredd was $35 million. It was later rumoured that $20-25 million was spent on marketing which would make it around $55-60 million in total.

I'm not talking about box office results. Or marketing budgets. I'm talking about what each film managed with their respective production budgets and how - since Looper had to factor in a number of presumably more expensive actors - it still managed to create a more futuristic looking city than Dredd, which apparently had a higher production budget than Looper.

I remember a lot of the reviews said Dredd looked like it was shot with a small budget; yet I didn't hear anyone say the same about Looper, which was shot for less. I think more Mega-City One would have helped (the city is pretty important to the character as a whole, no?) I guess I'm mainly wondering just how much of Dredd's budget was blown on 3D?  :-X

Looper looked more futuristic looking than Dredd?
I think that's debatable. I thought Looper looked pretty shoddy. Considering most of it was shot in a corn field, that was no mean feat!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

JOE SOAP

Quote from: PreacherCain on 16 November, 2012, 06:53:02 PM

If you read my last post you will see Dredd only had $5 million more than Looper in its production budget of $35 million, without marketing. We could presume that a large part of that $5 million paid for the 3D gear and FX so each film had relatively the same budget.

To me the futuristic city-scapes of Looper don't look anymore impressive than Dredd but they are less distinctive and Dredd had a very large interior set and many practical FX.

As for actor's fees, we don't now what they were or whether they took a cut from their usual to be in the film, which they probably did.

MR. ELIMINATOR

I wouldn't say Looper had a better future look, I found it quite easy to forget it was set in the future at all.

junox

just found this on facebook still to check it out
If anybody missed it, Dredd 3D is back on for a week at London's Odeon Panton Street:

http://www.odeon.co.uk/fanatic/film_times/s117/Panton_St/

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 16 November, 2012, 08:05:12 PM
I wouldn't say Looper had a better future look, I found it quite easy to forget it was set in the future at all.

Most of it was set in a field, wasn't it?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Sherman Kid

Most of it was rubbish.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 17 November, 2012, 09:49:41 AM
Most of it was rubbish.

Well, yes, but I went through that on the Looper thread, so I didn't see the point in going over it again!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Goaty

I do really want to see Dredd 3D again!

Don't know why I kept enjoyable see it as it's my 4th views!

Goaty

Goaty

Spikes

A caption contest photo if ever there was..

Cookyman

Quote from: Judge Jack on 19 November, 2012, 05:02:02 PM
A caption contest photo if ever there was..

Dredd XXX edition!  :o
Choc chip goodness.