Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

The film-version looks more like Ezquerra/McMahon/Gibson's original 70's Dredd than some of the more flamboyant stylings that came later in the comic. As a legitimate version of Dredd the film-version is entirely acceptable and in exactly same way we accepted multiple variants on the page for 35 years. In the spirit of Dredd the film version is the real deal.

Gold plastic, lycra and cod-pieces are not that spirit.

Rusty

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 27 November, 2012, 07:56:43 PM
QuoteIt was about a man who had trouble dealing with the death of his wife

And that's not complex?
I mean, you could say Hamlet was 'Emo might kill uncle', but is is more complex than that...
That's the plot context. I wouldn't call it complex, no. I'm talking about the film's entire plot in general.  I read and hear a lot of people describing it as some kind of intelligent, complicated premise. It isn't. There's a few subtexts and themes in there, but no more than your usual science fiction affair. You interpret it how you wish.

Goaty

I totally agree with CF and Mr Soap.

SmallBlueThing

(cont) dredd's future exploits on the screen- however they turn out. I can see nothing awful in a few cheapie tv movies, utilising the same designs/costumes and props as the movie, but set in the cursed earth or in a block, starring some cheaper tv actors. If for no other reason than these things are only as good as their screenplays, and we *could* get a real blinder, no matter the size of the cashpile involved. And you lot loved the movie universe, so id like you to have more goes at it.

As for cf's captain hurricane-style musings on the uniform- i get what you mean, but i dont care one jot if it looks 'real'. I do care that it looks nothing like the comic. I have similar, but not so ranty, concerns about spidey's suit in the recent film version. Metal slippers?!

Anyway- lets see who squeezed themselves in into my gaping (cont)...

SBT

Rusty

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 27 November, 2012, 08:01:09 PM
The film-version looks more like Ezquerra/McMahon/Gibson's original 70's Dredd than some of the more flamboyant stylings that came later in the comic. As a legitimate version of Dredd the film-version is entirely acceptable and in exactly same way we accepted multiple variants on the page for 35 years. In the spirit of Dredd the film version is the real deal.

Gold plastic, lycra and cod-pieces are not that spirit.
I'd always trouble imagining what kind of material the large eagle and should pad was made from in the comic too. Some artists had them shiny and metallic, others had more flat, opaque-looking material. Of course the medium of choice had a say in that, but I always found the large pad on Dredd's left shoulder to be an odd thing in it's design. It certainly didn't bother me to see being reformed to that of the original Ezquerra design in the film.

Rusty

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 27 November, 2012, 08:03:58 PM
(cont) dredd's future exploits on the screen- however they turn out. I can see nothing awful in a few cheapie tv movies, utilising the same designs/costumes and props as the movie, but set in the cursed earth or in a block, starring some cheaper tv actors. If for no other reason than these things are only as good as their screenplays, and we *could* get a real blinder, no matter the size of the cashpile involved. And you lot loved the movie universe, so id like you to have more goes at it.

As for cf's captain hurricane-style musings on the uniform- i get what you mean, but i dont care one jot if it looks 'real'. I do care that it looks nothing like the comic. I have similar, but not so ranty, concerns about spidey's suit in the recent film version. Metal slippers?!

Anyway- lets see who squeezed themselves in into my gaping (cont)...

SBT
This may be controversial, but I think I now actually prefer the film's design to that of the comic's. In  effect, the only real thing that is drastically different is the chain and the eagle. The rest more or less conforms to the original Dredd design from the comic before it became more fetishised by artists. The film version just looks so much more robust, gritty, and generally harder looking. The body armour and the back and neck protector give it a nice "don't fuck with me" sort of look.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 27 November, 2012, 07:55:14 PM
I think joe, what i said was IF the movie was a success, then perhaps they should alter the uniform to look more like the movie one, and that it looked great on the printed page. No one ended up seeing the film, so the balance is still weighted in favour of more people knowing dredd from the comics, so it doesnt matter. Besides, i was being nice to the prequel strip as i couldnt find much else to say about it that wouldnt seem as if i was just being overly critical for the sake of it.
And again besides, people can change their minds. Just because i express an opinion today it does not follow that i may still hold that opinion next week. Sometimes i feel that gets forgotten when discussing shizzle online.

So I take it then you no longer think The movie uniform looks great in comic form?

Personally I prefer when screen versions of comic material are not slavishly the same as source but add something a little different so it doesn't feel like I'm looking at a moving comic. Otherwise, why bother?

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 27 November, 2012, 07:55:14 PM
In the end, none of it matters. It's done now. I share alex wossname's view that the future of live action dredd lies on tv- either that, or as a series of low budget made for netflix/ syfy channel movies. Personally, i'd be happy to see that. I didnt like the movie, but i would absolutely support (cont)

Possibly, but the chances of it happening are no closer than another film. Webisodes are more of a possibility I suppose.

Goaty

Someone post that before...

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Rusty on 27 November, 2012, 08:12:48 PM
This may be controversial, but I think I now actually prefer the film's design to that of the comic's.

I prefer the film design on screen but I prefer the comic version on the page. They do and represent the same thing in different ways but don't work as well when they swap places.

Rusty

The image of his back turned slightly to the side is immense looking. I love the design of that outfit.

Rusty

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 27 November, 2012, 08:16:47 PM
Quote from: Rusty on 27 November, 2012, 08:12:48 PM
This may be controversial, but I think I now actually prefer the film's design to that of the comic's.

I prefer the film design on screen but I prefer the comic version on the page. They do and represent the same thing in different ways but don't work as well when they swap places.
Yep, that's a very good way of putting it. I think I'd still prefer (or at least like to see) the judges to have the body armour of film's design, though. It'd be good to see a drawing of a mixture of both. I might just do that in the near future.

radiator

QuoteI can see nothing awful in a few cheapie tv movies, utilising the same designs/costumes and props as the movie, but set in the cursed earth or in a block, starring some cheaper tv actors.

Just like Starship Troopers 2 & 3 - yay!

SmallBlueThing

Yeah, if they had decent screenplays, why not? Both those movies had perfectly decent production values. To be honest, i was thinking more along the lines of a Swamp Shark/Monsterwolf level- enough cash to be done, but reliant on the script and performances to make it fly. If dr who can do an effective megacity in 'gridlock', or suggest it in 'new earth' (going back a bit...) then it's not beyond the realms of possibiity that a decent dredd movie could be made for less than five million, if that's all that a studio was prepared to invest.

SBT

Spikes

That Prequel comic looked pretty darned good though, its got to be said.

radiator

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 27 November, 2012, 08:49:07 PM
Yeah, if they had decent screenplays, why not? Both those movies had perfectly decent production values. To be honest, i was thinking more along the lines of a Swamp Shark/Monsterwolf level- enough cash to be done, but reliant on the script and performances to make it fly. If dr who can do an effective megacity in 'gridlock', or suggest it in 'new earth' (going back a bit...) then it's not beyond the realms of possibiity that a decent dredd movie could be made for less than five million, if that's all that a studio was prepared to invest.

SBT

Aside from production values, low budget means that they won't be spending much on the script or acting talent either, hence the reason 99.999999999999% of the type of films you're talking about are unwatchable shite.

I would much rather the plug be pulled entirely on the Dredd franchise than it suffer the indignity of poorly made straight to VoD sequels.