Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

Quote from: Cursed Earth Dweller on 28 November, 2012, 11:18:31 AM
Quote from: Rusty on 27 November, 2012, 08:02:30 PMYou interpret it how you wish.

Isn't that what you're doing?

Quote from: Rusty on 27 November, 2012, 08:02:30 PMI read and hear a lot of people describing it as some kind of intelligent, complicated premise. It isn't.

Don't you mean YOU THINK it isn?

Quote from: Rusty on 27 November, 2012, 08:02:30 PMYou'd have to be some kind of idiot to get lost there.

I resent that! Not everyone has an eye for plot structure and I would like know weather I am talking to an open mind or just another bigoted cunt.

On second thought forget it, I know where this is going. Just forget I ever posted here.
Well, first I've to say sorry. I didn't mean to say that you are an idiot, I'm just saying that to think that the plot device in the film regarding the levels of dreams is complex and confusing, then you should really stop watching films if you think that is complex. I was hyped to watch Inception, then I watched it and found it nothing special. It's your typical Nolan film that leaves the ending open to interpretation. Nothing more. Certainly not that intelligent, nothing as smart as a script of something like the first Matrix film, which really got you thinking and made you say "Ohhh, I see" a few times during the show. Inception didn't do that for me, even though it was sort of similar in questioning what is real.

Anyway, enough of that. This thread is about, well, Dredd.

Rusty

Paul Giamatti in Ironclad. What a very odd casting choice.

Stan

Quote from: Goaty on 28 November, 2012, 10:29:16 AM
Ironclad was really good enjoyable film. I don't think it is sequel to first film's plot... Maybe some different story?

I haven't taken a look to be honest, but my friend sez..

"Currently they're filming in Kraljevo which is far away. Then they'll come to Belgrade to film at the Kalemegdan fortress."

So the plot sounds similar. Maybe it's direct to DVD. Not that you'd notice the difference.

Goaty

Fisticuffs

Quote from: Rusty on 28 November, 2012, 03:37:06 PM
Paul Giamatti in Ironclad. What a very odd casting choice.

Odd, but inspired. The very definition of scenery chewing. :D

Tiplodocus

Thirty five years of different stories and uniform designs mean they'll never please everyone.

For my mind the uniform worked in the film but I would still have preferred later era Ezquerra uniform. After all, it's a film. It doesn't have to be practical and real. James Bond Aston Martin doesn't have all of those gadgets in it for real.

And as for story tone, they picked one of my least favourite. The ultra violence.  Didn't stop me trying to big it up to normal earthlets though but I still think that 18 certificate was it's own worst enemy. If you asked Wagner and Grant to write  12 certificate story within the budget but that still captured the essence of DREDD, I bet they could do it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 28 November, 2012, 09:41:13 PM
After all, it's a film. It doesn't have to be practical and real. James Bond Aston Martin doesn't have all of those gadgets in it for real.

No, but that design decision fit the style and budget of the film better.

Frank

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 28 November, 2012, 09:41:13 PM
If you asked Wagner and Grant to write  12 certificate story within the budget but that still captured the essence of DREDD, I bet they could do it.

According to Alan Grant, they did exactly that. The producers of the 1995 Dredd film wanted to pay them less than a quarter of what Wisher and DeSouza received for their work, so Wagner & Grant told them to stick it up their arses. I'd pay good money to read that treatment.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: we are all roger godpleton on 28 November, 2012, 10:08:03 PMI'd pay good money to read that treatment.

John Wagner has said he didn't think such a thing existed.

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 28 November, 2012, 10:16:36 PM
Quote from: we are all roger godpleton on 28 November, 2012, 10:08:03 PMI'd pay good money to read that treatment.

John Wagner has said he didn't think such a thing existed.

Bugger. Although, he also says he can't remember whether he agreed to kill Johnny Alpha.

Tiplodocus

So why didn't they ask them this time round?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Teivion

You cant lay any blame for the box office takings at the design direction of the film, or the script.

Yes, some elements were not cannon to the comic but all that amounts to nothing that bares any relation to why a US audience decided to basically not go to the cinema that week.

Robert Frazer

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 28 November, 2012, 10:37:47 PM
So why didn't they ask them this time round?

Probably because "obscure-to-the-only-country-that-matters British comic geek who has a surname like a Nazi" doesn't have as much cachet with the cinemagoing public as "THAT GUY WHO WROTE THE FAST-ZOMBIE MOVIE!"
Latest Video - The ESSENTIAL Judge Dredd

Goaty

Oi! Thanks to Alex Garland, without him involved, the film won't happens!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Teivion on 28 November, 2012, 10:52:39 PM
Yes, some elements were not cannon to the comic but all that amounts to nothing that bares any relation to why a US audience decided to basically not go to the cinema that week.

or the rest of the world.