Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 15 January, 2013, 02:16:30 AMGood grief, it's still such a thrill to see Dredd powering through the traffic on his lawmaster.  I don't care about the non-futuristic vehicles.
In hindsight, I like the idea that in a devastated future, people would have to recycle and keep old stuff going for longer. Makes a lot of sense. Plus I like my sci-fi 'used' versus the shiny shiny of Star Trek.

radiator

I don't have any problem with the use of contemporary vehicles - it makes the world of Dredd feel much more tangible and real. It totally suited the type of film they were making. Frankly it seems to me a very modern, post-Children of Men, post-District 9 sci-fi look. I even liked the Justice Department landrovers, which really gave me a Robocop vibe, and I love the overhead shots of the spaghetti junctions - just that little bit crazier than our own reality.

By contrast something like the recent Total Recall remake, while obviously a lot more lavish, seemed very generic and quite dated, like a 1990s/1980s vision of the future that we've seen many times before. The 1995 Dredd film had a similarly generic, unmemorable look - save for a few wide shots that admittedly looked great.

If I had to nitpick with the realisation of the city in Dredd it's that it was almost too subtle - there are a lot of shots - including the opening bike chase and the night scenes of Lex and co on their bikes - that 99% of people watching wouldn't even notice had been digitally expanded and added to. I would have liked to have seen busier backgrounds overall. And I do dislike that specific van - it just looks a bit weedy - something chunkier would have been preferable.

DKCX

Can't get enough of that opening!!!
Anyone spot any other references or nods??
Screen grabs of the references would be cool, zoom and full screen as I can't find Goaty's supposed third reference.

radiator

I might finally be able to spot my 'cameo' now...

Steve Green

Maybe it is just a radiator.

Goaty

Was there Radiator graffiti at first Goaty scene when man take slo-mo before fell to dead?

Hoagy

Okay Rich?
I came in from pub.
Was talking to a mate on facebook about Dredd.
Forgot we were talking about a project we are up to too, in the cop + paste.
No editing function on this thread so, it remains this strange jarring quote from facebook.
Ha!
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

radiator

QuoteMaybe it is just a radiator.

That did cross my mind - I remember joking about it with someone at the fan screening.

I kind of wish I'd registered on this site with my real name, because trying to explain it to people is tricky.

QuoteWas there Radiator graffiti at first Goaty scene when man take slo-mo before fell to dead?

Yeah that's the bit apparently. There is some grafitti beginning with 'R' on the bottom right of the frame during the slo mo POV shot, but I've never been able to work out what it says.

radiator

Dredd's Last Stand?
As Dredd arrives on DVD and Blu-ray, here's our last chance to give the film the commercial success it deserves...

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/dredd/24078/dredds-last-stand

DKCX

Great to see the love for DREDD is strong out there, hopefully it translates into some commercial success.

MR. ELIMINATOR

I was actually hoping there would be a few more movie sites picking up on the surprising success of Dredd thus far on home video and help keep the ball rolling.

Spaceghost

Watched it again last night and enjoyed it just as much as my numerous cinema visits.

What struck me and my wife most was just how perfect Urban is as Dredd. I love how he unnecessarily says out loud the things he's doing, like "Basic field dressing" and "Reload".

Just like Dredd in the comic saying "Leg shot" or "Bike cannon".

I reeeeeeaaaaaaaally hope we get a sequel, this crew deserves to give us more Dredd.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Lee Bates on 15 January, 2013, 06:24:27 PM
I love how he unnecessarily says out loud the things he's doing, like "Basic field dressing" and "Reload".

Just like Dredd in the comic saying "Leg shot" or "Bike cannon".

And it works so well too.

shaolin_monkey

Woohoo!  3D Blu-ray turned up today.  Thank god for that.

Hoagy

When he says, " Basic field dressing," I felt he was ever the teacher in the assessment explaining to Anderson. It works either way I suppose.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract