Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: radiator on 23 January, 2013, 11:02:32 AM
Fantasy sequels would make a good topic for an at comp, though.

We've already had one that was "expand the Dredd movie verse" recently - which is sort of the same thing. But it WOULD be a nice thing to come back to in a few years I reckon. Y'know - after the fuss has died down about the direct-to-DVD sequel with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as Dredd.

Steve Green

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 23 January, 2013, 11:29:19 AM
Quote from: radiator on 23 January, 2013, 10:52:09 AMIn that case, I'd rather have no sequel at all.
Exactly. At the very least, you'd want Urban as Dredd, Garland at the very least having input into the script, and Dod Mantle. I'd also want to see Wagner consulting, and, ideally, Leonard-Morgan in the mix. This film was a risk for most of them, and although it failed commercially, it didn't critically. That's a pretty important factor. However, DNA's now been stung more than once with risky sci-fi (Sunshine also having not don't terribly well in cinemas) and so I just don't see them going for something where the funds don't make sense.

One thing that is positive, though, is Rebellion's role in this. A horrible low-budget 'new' Dredd is only going to happen if the Kingsleys go crazy one day after taking in far too many Jelly Babies and on a whim sell off the Dredd rights to someone who shouldn't be allowed within a mile of them. And given what they've done during the time since they snapped up 2000 AD, I think we can be safe in the knowledge that that is definitely not going to happen. Better no follow-up Dredd than a crap one.

Had Rebellion taken over when those Shoreline Dredds were talked about?

Goaty

But we get a brilliant Dredd film that buried any links to that awful Stallone film!

THANK YOU TO DREDD TEAM FOR QUALITY FILM!

vzzbux

Did Dredd get a B-movie clone that normally gets shown on the horror channel or Scy-Fy?

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Teivion

Dredd's still to be released in Japan too, 16th Feb its listed at.

http://www.judge-dredd.jp/

Will be interesting to see how it does, esp in the wake of the various internet reviews and traffic - an idea of the number of screens its currently booked on will be a good indication, if such info is out there.
(95's Dredd did better Internationally, taking twice what it did in the US).
Its a shame the US box office will be the only thing that seems to have mattered.

radiator

To be fair, the news of Dredd selling so well on Blu Ray has been reported by quite a lot of news sites (and I don't recall home video sales figures ever being reported outside of niche websites), so there are many outside of this forum clamouring for a sequel too.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Teivion on 23 January, 2013, 12:36:59 PM
Dredd's still to be released in Japan too, 16th Feb its listed at. Will be interesting to see how it does, esp in the wake of the various internet reviews and traffic
How does Japan usually respond to niche foreign fare? My guess: it'll fling a few million more into the bucket, in the same way the release did in a few other big countries (and on that note: yay Russia!), but I very much doubt it'll propel the film to the lofty heights of cinema-based profit.

hazy efc

650,000 dvd/blurays sold in 2 weeks half of those sold are blurays and that isnt counting
the downloads looks like dredds doin ok

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Teivion on 23 January, 2013, 12:36:59 PM
Its a shame the US box office will be the only thing that seems to have mattered.

It's not, the international box-office was equally bad.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Steve Green on 23 January, 2013, 11:50:34 AM

Yes, Rebellion were in on the 2 film Shoreline deal, before that there was 2000AD Films PLC in 2002 which was set-up so we could all buy shares and raise money for films; that ended due to legal complications, I believe.

The 2003 Shoreline deal lasted a year, fell apart, and in 2004 the option passed to Silvio Astarita who set up a production company called I AM THE LAW and hired a new writer. The Shoreline scripts were binned and the intention was to make one film instead of two.

The next interested party was DNA, as far as I know.

radiator

*IMDB's Silvio Astarita*

QuoteRave Macbeth (2001, Producer)

This movie is a loose adaptation of the Shakespeare play "MacBeth", except it's set in the world of the dance rave culture.

Good God.

A.Cow

QuoteRave Macbeth (2001, Producer)
This movie is a loose adaptation of the Shakespeare play "MacBeth", except it's set in the world of the dance rave culture.

Possibly mixing in a bit of Richard III: "Now is the winter of our discotheque." *

* (TM & (c) Russ Abbott, 1988)

Steve Green

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 23 January, 2013, 02:30:15 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 23 January, 2013, 11:50:34 AM

Yes, Rebellion were in on the 2 film Shoreline deal, before that there was 2000AD Films PLC in 2002 which was set-up so we could all buy shares and raise money for films; that ended due to legal complications, I believe.

The 2003 Shoreline deal lasted a year, fell apart, and in 2004 the option passed to Silvio Astarita who set up a production company called I AM THE LAW and hired a new writer. The Shoreline scripts were binned and the intention was to make one film instead of two.

The next interested party was DNA, as far as I know.

Cheers Joe.

Stan

So many multiple naysayers. I have a hat for each of you to eat. Post-dated 2015 1/2.