Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

I weep for my beloved Dredd!

HdE

Quote from: Beadle68 on 22 February, 2013, 12:10:26 AM
(one such tit who shall remain nameless even went so far as to tell people not to waste there money on the dvd only to watch it under duress from his partner and is now actively campaigning on web sites for others to see it.he thinks its the best action movie he's seen in years.TWAT).

Oh, I like this!

It really bemuses me, this whole knee-jerk 'I haven't seen it yet, and I don't want to see it, and it's going to be crap because I've decided it will be' attitude.

Me and my new lassie went out to meet some pals tonight, and they got talking about Dredd. Some of these guys all work in the same factory, and it turns out they've all bought the DVD / Blu-ray now. They tell a similar story. To quote one of them " Man oh man... I never thought Judge Dredd was meant to be that hardcore! Are the comics like that?"

It was the best feeling in the world to be able to tell them: If you liked the movie, the comics will do it for you too.

For the record, I do NOT believe that Dredd will be the last time we see a Judge Dredd movie on the big screen. Wouldn't want to chance a guess at when we'll see another, but I can see it happening some time. Dredd is credible now, and deservedly so. I think the movie will be one that people are watching and talking about in ten years' time. So I'd expect someone will want to revisit the property sometime.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

SuperSurfer

Did anyone see the Culture Show a few nights ago? Mark Kermode was raving about a certain film and he made a reference to Dredd. Grrr.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006t6c5

mididoctors

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 22 February, 2013, 12:33:48 AM
Quote from: mididoctors on 21 February, 2013, 01:36:35 PM
As far as the movie was concerned the inability for viewers not versed in DREDD lore to "not get it" could be labeled as a flaw but most of us see it as a good thing..2000ad fanbois(gals) are not the majority but then who was the film made for? People will get DREDD in time.

I think this is a bit of a myth, to be honest, and generally comes across as fan-snobbishness towards the public at large.

If you read the written reviews on international Amazon sites, those where the film is available, the majority of the hundreds of reviews, which is a very high count for a film that flopped, are 4 stars and over, plus a 78%/765% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, 7.1 on IMDB and total universal acclaim from audience/viewers on Metacritic.

By the looks of it, the average audience didn't have a hard time understanding the character at all, just like they'd no problem with Snake Plisken, Dirty Harry, the Man with No Name and RoboCop. The problem was getting them to bother to watch the film in the first place to see if they'd like it.

I guess so... I suppose this attitude of ours is really a response to a few reviewers in the minority who didn't get it or choose not to.

junox

i see vue are listing 20 movies to choose from the best  sadly DREDD wasnt included   reason being

Vue Cinemas Hi Junox. the list is based on the twenty films which performed best at Vue during 2012. Unfortunately Dredd didn't quite make it into that list but we agree that it was brilliant!
-------

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: junox on 22 February, 2013, 12:03:20 PM
i see vue are listing 20 movies to choose from the best  sadly DREDD wasnt included   reason being

Vue Cinemas Hi Junox. the list is based on the twenty films which performed best at Vue during 2012. Unfortunately Dredd didn't quite make it into that list but we agree that it was brilliant!
-------
Well.... ::)

sharkeyfinn

hi guys,im sorry to have to ask this,but there are 600 odd posts and i really cant face slogging through them all to find my answer,so sorry for those of you that get a little bit hissy at repeated questions,but has the sequel definately been abandoned?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sharkeyfinn on 22 February, 2013, 07:36:01 PM
but has the sequel definately been abandoned?

YES.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

judge macbrayne

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 22 February, 2013, 01:43:38 AM
I weep for my beloved Dredd!
Com owen bigman tell yir da whit u greetin fur :lol:

Beadle68

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 February, 2013, 07:48:58 PM

YES.

Cheers

Jim

Is it just my brain that wont acknowledge or accept this info cause it still reads NO there is still hope for a sequel. :lol:

Spikes

I think Jim needed to be more emphatic.
Leaving his comment open to interpretation like that, has only fueled the rumours of a sequel.

Which is in the can already, apparently.

junox

hi guys ,
shame about there not being a sequel  JIM  ... been trawling the internet this  morn and found a cool site with loads of  info  pictures about Dredd 3d 

DIGI TITLES  has videos , photo's,graphic art, storyboards + facts and gossip
---------------
http://www.digititles.com/movies/dredd-3d-2012

Anyways looking forward to Minty   

BRING ON THE DREDD

sharkeyfinn

Quote from: Beadle68 on 23 February, 2013, 12:02:22 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 February, 2013, 07:48:58 PM

YES.

Cheers

Jim

Is it just my brain that wont acknowledge or accept this info cause it still reads NO there is still hope for a sequel. :lol:
as i said,apologies to those that get hissy about repeated questions lol ;-)

Michaelvk

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 20 February, 2013, 02:28:15 PM

Quote from: BOODA on 20 February, 2013, 12:00:18 PM
I could be wrong but it looked to me like the interior ground floor of PT was also the ext of PT as he walks out, but in daylight and redressed.

It was.

No it's not..

Peach Trees atrium is the plaza outside the Artscape theatre. The exterior of Peach trees is the entrance to the Cape Town municipality (incidentally where they minivan rolls). They're about a block apart..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Michaelvk

Quote from: Goaty on 20 February, 2013, 10:46:54 AM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 20 February, 2013, 10:44:50 AM
Quote from: BOODA on 19 February, 2013, 08:02:00 PM
Quote from: Teivion on 19 February, 2013, 07:23:38 PM
Feel daft that its taken me this long to realise - those early external shots we all saw online were the inside set of Peach Trees.... :-[

I always thought the internal shots of Dredd and Anderson in the lower floor atrium were shot on the Green Screen set used for the various levels

...but no they were all shot outside at an external location.
Doh !

...so even more kudos for the photography, lighting and genius of the film crew.

It's one of the scenes I really liked, as they first enter PT. Shooting by day...then a night shot for the 'interior'. YT has a bunch of stuff on how the brilliant fx team built up the inside of PT, I didn't post it as it seems to be from the DVD...and has no doubt been posted here loads already.

Yeah... that fooled me as well. 

I thought the Peach Trees interior/plaza/atrium/whatever was shot on a massive soundstage/set, and looked a bit 'unreal', so when Alex Garland challenged me to find a fault with the film (because up to that point I had been incredibly positive) I said that was the only flaw I could see.  He corrected me, by pointing out it was shot at a very specific real location in SA, as you say, both by day and by night.  D'oh! 

So my only critiscism was shot down in flames, and also exploded my mind about what I perceive and what actual IS.

Did MichealVK post the photo of that few months ago??

I did, but I can repost the locations tomorrow, if anyone's interested..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..