Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

8-Ball

Quote from: Goaty on 15 January, 2016, 08:53:51 PM
Yeah, you're right. Nice there's fans out there. Good luck to them if they can make another Dredd.

I've signed the petition. I'm of the opinion that I don't think anything will come of it, but what the hell, in for a penny and all that.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Beadle68

I have signed it too , any chance no matter how small of getting Dredd back on the screen is worth my signature  :)

IndigoPrime

In the astonishingly unlikely scenario that Netflix or HBO did decide to do a Dredd run, I can't imagine Urban would dismiss it out of and due to his previous TV experiences. But while there have been decent runs of increasingly elaborate tales on the screen, Dredd is a long way from Jessica Jones and Daredevil in terms of outlay. Dredd the movie was only relatively cheap because of its confined nature. As soon as you open it up to Mega City One, it could all get colossally expensive. Still, there's always a chance, no matter how slim.

NapalmKev

They could start the series with Rookie's Joe and Rico, before the Apocalypse War. The setting is pretty much the same as present day. If the first series did well it could possibly get a bigger budget (better VFX) for later episodes set further in the future, Possibly interspersed with the odd 'Flashback' storyline to still keep within a reasonable budget.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

NapalmKev

Quote from: NapalmKev on 16 January, 2016, 02:13:09 PM
They could start the series with Rookie's Joe and Rico, before the Apocalypse War. The setting is pretty much the same as present day. If the first series did well it could possibly get a bigger budget (better VFX) for later episodes set further in the future, Possibly interspersed with the odd 'Flashback' storyline to still keep within a reasonable budget.

Cheers

Edit: I meant the War caused by Bob Booth.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Steve Green

I don't think it necessarily has to be that much more expensive if you're going with the 2012 aesthetic.

Introduce the undercity, and use the cursed earth, even the psychic hallucinations shown with Anderson opens things up a bit more without killing the budget.

Plus there wouldn't be all the cocking about with 3D.

JOE SOAP

With the Marvel productions it's Disney/Marvel TV paying the cost to make the series; Netflix have committed to buying the exclusive rights to stream all of the series.

It's costing Disney $200 million to make 60 episodes.

Dreddzilla

Have a question for you guys (sorry if it's already been asked) but say a DREDD sequel was going underway would it be a good idea to adapt the Cursed Earth story line so close to Mad Max's recent release? I have a bad feeling if anything Cursed Earth related were to be done on the big screen there would be countless accusations that DREDD II was trying to jump on the Apocalyptic wasteland bandwagon like the first Dredd was accused of being a remake of the Raid.

Steve Green

It wouldn't be recent by the time something got made.

It's a bit no win really - if Fury Road flopped, it would make people wary of post-apocalyptic genre, if it succeeded you get accused of jumping on the bandwagon.

Personally I think exploring the psychic/supernatural would be the way to go - Matt's year one seemed like a really good framework for a sequel.

TordelBack

Yep, I think you could easily use the established elements of Anderson to open up a psychic/supernatural plot.  The Cursed Earth itself just doesn't stand up as a story midel, being so derivative and bitty itself, and I suspect there's not a lot of room to do something massively new with post-apoc wastelands. Note how the strip itself only occasionally goes there.

IndigoPrime

It also does something a bit too close to the Stallone Dredd: removing many of the components that make the strip what it is. Mega City One is as much of a character as Dredd, even if that's been toned down some in recent years (notably with Wagner shifting to grittier procedurals). Lobbing Dredd into a desert doesn't seem like the best next step, if one were to be taken.

JOE SOAP

Apart from repetition, the bigger problem following Max is money - Dredd's significantly lower budget ($35 million v $150 million) would result in The Cursed Earth feeling like a picnic than the epic road trip through dead Americana that it needs to be. Fury Road is the final word on wastelands for the foreseeable or at least until the next Mad Max.

The Cursed Earth is better played as a fearful and unknown exterior presence where only old Judges go to die. It's the literal barbarians at the gate scenario that feeds into the malaise of living on the less anarchic, authoritarian, side of the wall. The Judges would obviously be playing-up this narrative to the citizens that they really are the only alternative. It's strengthens the pressure cooker feel of the city.

The most interesting thing about it is the mutant angle and how that plays into the political, social and genetic attitudes of the city.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Yep I think Joe Soap has got it. Keep it in the City, dark corridors hiding darker minds with the occasional neon hell street shots of the city.

Gotham is clearly an adult take on the Batman myth so perhaps there might be room for a vigilante Cop who has to police a set of weird and grotesque characters in a urban blighted City. Trouble is after recent events in America a tough, Fascistic Lawman might be very off putting to large numbers of your target audience. 'America depicted as a fascist Police state? Tell me something I don't know!'

Still I think DREDD as a TV show is a good idea and if Gotham continues it might suit some TV Producer to have a look at other dark projects. Marvel's The Punisher comes to mind rather than DREDD but we can live in hope for that's probably all we have at the moment.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 17 January, 2016, 01:14:09 PM
Trouble is after recent events in America a tough, Fascistic Lawman might be very off putting to large numbers of your target audience. 'America depicted as a fascist Police state? Tell me something I don't know!'

I don't fully buy into this idea or that it's an insurmountable aspect of the material, I mean DREDD found most of its popularity among Americans to the point where its DVD sales exceeded the last RoboCop - a film that did better at the box-office and is arguably a modern American icon.

IndigoPrime

Mm. It's always hard to figure out popularity of Judge Dredd in the US, but the Dredd film did seem to find an audience. How big it was is another matter. (Notably, it fared significantly less well critically in the US, given that many reviewers clearly couldn't stomach the film and what it represented.)