Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills - 2022

Started by Dash Decent, 20 July, 2021, 01:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

What was the problem with the Ennis version?

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

selfishly, i yearn to see a proper and respectful collection of ian kennedy's stirling work on the licence.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Richard on 24 May, 2022, 10:48:52 AM
What was the problem with the Ennis version?

I really enjoyed Ennis' take on Dan Dare. Time for a re-read I think, It's been awhile.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

i think it was the most hackneyed work of garth's career. usually the master of confounding and shocking writing, in this instance everything is wholly predictable.
give me grant morrison's superb and disturbing subversion of dare instead, please.

GordonR

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 24 May, 2022, 09:35:39 PM
i think it was the most hackneyed work of garth's career. usually the master of confounding and shocking writing, in this instance everything is wholly predictable.
give me grant morrison's superb and disturbing subversion of dare instead, please.

Is that the one where Dan Dare gets bummed by the Mekon?

Oh yeah. Subversive.

Art

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: GordonR on 24 May, 2022, 10:10:40 PM

Is that the one where Dan Dare gets bummed by the Mekon?

Oh yeah. Subversive.

There was some good stuff in Morrison's Dare, specifically addressing the notion of a hero representing an Imperial ideal whose time had very much passed. Sadly, it felt like Morrison very much ran out of steam well before the end, culminating in the scene you refer to, which absolutely reeks of a writer saying "I can't be arsed with this any more."
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

how about the manner in which morrison and hughes sharpen their story towards a place where - using the real world experiences of one of the most revered comic creators of all in frank hampson - obvious affection for the character becomes a smart expose of creator rights (or lack of them) in the comics industry of not so long ago? that, i suggest, was subversion. as was the satire, the retro design, the skewering of the jingoistic cynicism that lies behind most political sloganeering, the commentary on what the implications and consequences of apparently throw away comic panels from back in the day would actually be.
all of this was only possible because of our collective preconceptions of what a dan dare entertainment might be.
i think it's still relevant and thought-provoking. and i had never read anything like it before.
(i like it, anyway).

The Corinthian

I was going to say that there was a Dan Dare TV series recently, so obviously they are doing something with the IP.

Then I realised that "recently" was actually "twenty years ago".

Art

Oh I went through the exact same process...

broodblik

So hopefully we can get the next arc this, from Kek-W's twitter:

Why, yes, I am writing a new series of DEADWORLD.

Characters die. Unexpected alliances. Pitiless battles. Double crosses. Reversed roles. Old scores are settled. Judge Death as you've never seen him before!

And a season ending that'll blow your mind.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

The cover for The Steel Claw: Reign Of The Brain Webshop Exclusive Hardback coming in November:

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

The cover for The Steel Claw: Reign Of The Brain coming in November:

Colin YNWA

Will we be getting more Spider I wonder?

broodblik

Coming to the prog in September:

Incredible SF action from the Eisner-nominated UK anthology! In Progs 2298-2299, a rogue robot takes on the Mega-City underworld in Judge Dredd: "Sentientoid's Big Idea"; Nolan Blake goes out guns blazing in Skip Tracer: "Valhalla"; Atalia Jaegir is one step closer to getting her hands on a weapon of mass destruction in "Ferox"; a child is kidnapped in folk horror "The Crawly Man"; and Dexter and company reach the final stop in "The End of the Pier Show." Then in Prog 2300 it's a special undead event as a zombie plague infects the whole 2000 AD multiverse! An alternate take on Judgement Day find realities being overrun by ghouls and Rogue Trooper, Sinister Dexter, Strontium Dog are not happy! Prog 2301 is a jumping-on issue, with all new stories starting, including Hershey: The Cold in the Bones by Rob Williams and Simon Fraser, Enemy Earth by Cavan Scott and Luke Horsman, and Chimpsky's Law by Ken Niemand and PJ Holden!