Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seanharry

Quote from: Skullmo on 09 July, 2013, 10:48:55 PM
I look away for 5 minutes and amazing things happen!!

Sean -  welcome to the kidney-less obsessives corner of the forum - those are some really really amazing pages!!! That cover is stunning!

Ha-Ha! My kidney's are safe! I bought my collection back in the eighties, and never paid more than £20 for a page!

I so wanted a page of Marshall Law or Nemesis by Kevin O'Neil, but sadly couldn't afford it then. Looking at the prices they go for now, would have been a sound investment.

Stupidist thing ever? I would only by a page if it had it's own artist merits, i.e. it looked good up on the wall. I wouldn't buy a page just for the sake of owning art by a particular artist or of a particular character.

So as a result I passed on buying any art from my favourite ever comic, The Watchmen, because all that was available was boring shots of talking heads. No action or splash images! Pages I nearly bought for £30 can now go for up to £10,000 on e-bay!

Skullmo

Was this from Comic Showcase?
It's a joke. I was joking.

seanharry

Yes, it was at Comics Showcase. Got my Bad Company, ABC Warriors cover and Axel Pressbutton pieces from there as well.

Most of the other pages I got from walking up to the artists at UKCAC events and asking what they had available.

Steven Sterlacchini

Quote from: seanharry on 09 July, 2013, 11:00:24 PM
Yes, it was at Comics Showcase. Got my Bad Company, ABC Warriors cover and Axel Pressbutton pieces from there as well.

Most of the other pages I got from walking up to the artists at UKCAC events and asking what they had available.

Superb pages.

Yep, I also bought a couple of McMahon pages at a UKCAC. £20 a page, it's still written on the back. I only had £40 on me.

Skullmo

I used to love comic Showcase. I tell this story a lot but I remember they had pages of Slaine Sky Chariots in there for £60 on sale in 1993 :-(
It's a joke. I was joking.

Colin YNWA

Ha! I love the fact you can go for a Bad Company cover but have to 'settle' for that absolute classic McMahon cover. Really can't think of many more iconic 2000ad covers that don't feature Dredd!

hippynumber1

A stunning collection of pages; well done and welcome!

Dunk!

Stunning iconic pages, Sean Harry.

Wish I'd had your foresight as a teenager.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

Greg M.

Stunning pages (particularly the Bad Company stuff, given my monomaniacal interest in the series), and the price tags make me weep. I mean, I was buying pages of 'The Dead Man' for 15 quid many years ago, but Bad Co. pages for £20 (when they go for about 15 times that nowadays - and to be honest, that still seems pretty reasonable)? I need to borrow Dale's time machine...

Simon Beigh

Can you hear a grinding sound, Sean? It's my teeth gnashing with jealousy :lol: That is a fabulous collection. Welcome to the most bonkers thread on the forum where grown men and women pay stupidly vast sums of cash for bits of paper with scribbles on! We are still waiting for the first person here to swap their left arm for a piece, but it's coming... :)

Lord knows what your collection is worth now, but you could probably retire to a small Caribbean island if you have several Brian Bollands you bought for £10 each at a comic con in 1985!

If you haven't got a Comic Art Fans page, get one and share it as you have some super stuff.

Anyway, the postman dropped off some nice bundles for me today from Mr Marshall, Mr Gallagher and Mr Davidson. I shall post them on here later, but I'm happier than a pig in Chardonnay!

seanharry

Quote from: SimeonB on 10 July, 2013, 02:37:26 PM
Lord knows what your collection is worth now, but you could probably retire to a small Caribbean island if you have several Brian Bollands you bought for £10 each at a comic con in 1985!

I remember when Forbidden Planet in Tottenham Court Road started flogging Bolland stuff. Even back in the 80's the price was around £1,000. As was the Moebius stuff that they had on sale.

But I'm still sick that I passed up Watchmen pages at £30 a pop because only 'dull' pages were available. (A friend of mine got the page of the Comedian riding on the front of the Owlship, lucky sod).

Link Prime

Quote from: seanharry on 10 July, 2013, 02:51:07 PM
But I'm still sick that I passed up Watchmen pages at £30 a pop because only 'dull' pages were available. (A friend of mine got the page of the Comedian riding on the front of the Owlship, lucky sod).

Jeebus.

PS- welcome Seanharry!

Sideshow Bob

Some absolutely fabulous pages there..Seanharry....
Get yourself a CAF page and get them up there.............and Welcome to the forum...

I suppose a lot of us 'wish' we could go back, and get the pages that we had a chance to buy, but didn't...
I had the opportunity to buy several great pieces at a Comic Shop in Covent Garden in the very early 90's....Managed to get two pieces I loved, but I had very little money at the time, so unfortunately had to let the others go.....
I remember there was a Brian Bolland piece going for £300..........but that was way out of my price range then...
Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Spikes

Yep, even then there was a lot of stuff that would have been completely out of my price range. A small crumb of comfort. But its nice to hear tales of the Comic Showcase, and Forbidden Planet when they was selling art.
Great pages seanharry, hard to pin down which ones i like best, but those Bad Company pages, and that McMahon cover are super sweet.  :thumbsup:

Quote from: seanharry on 09 July, 2013, 10:42:39 PM
As a teenage in the 80's, I saved up all my money to turn my bedroom into a comic art gallery.

This was the first page that I bought, from Bad Company by Brett Ewins.

I liked the series so much that I got another page from it:

I saved up to by the cover with Thrax saying "Your Dead Kano!". Sadly it was sold by time I had the necessary groats, so I grabbed this ABC Warriors cover by Mike McMahon instead.

Another by Mike McMahon, this time from Ro-Busters:

And of course, what collection could be complete without a page of Rogue Trooper by Cam Kennedy?

And yes, set yourself a CAF account up!

seanharry