Main Menu

Prog 2181 - Reporting for duty

Started by Colin YNWA, 11 May, 2020, 08:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Greg M. on 14 May, 2020, 02:19:06 PM
He's then resurrected, after a fashion, as Tor Cyan.

Wasn't Tor Cyan a clone derived from Rogue's corpse? Whether that counts as resurrection would be an ecumenical matter.

Greg M.

He's a clone based on Rogue's chip, isn't he? (Been a while could be wrong.) Which pretty much makes him Rogue.

broodblik

With the resurrection of Hersey it can easy be explained than some of the other return from dead scenarios we had. I am actually still dumbfounded how many old folk to not like the Hersey story.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

Ah, I thought the No. 4 chip was damaged and thus he was a 'standard' clone,  hence the lack of memories. But like yourself,  I doubt I've read that story since it first ran so I'm probably completely wrong!

Greg M.

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 May, 2020, 02:58:33 PM
Ah, I thought the No. 4 chip was damaged and thus he was a 'standard' clone,  hence the lack of memories. But like yourself,  I doubt I've read that story since it first ran so I'm probably completely wrong!

Actually, on reflection, I think you're right, but I feel like maybe it's left ambiguous as to how much he is or isn't Rogue? He doesn't have his memories though, that's true.

Magnetica

Postie has just been and still no Prog for me. So looks like it won't turn up before the next one. Non arrival seems to coincide with the Bank Holidays. Not sure why that is....I can understand them being late, but not why they go missing altogether😢.

To be fair to Rebellion they have been good at sending out replacements when this has happened before.

metcalfecarr

Didn't Rogue and the others get brought back in the Friday timeline before Tor Cyan  was declared a clone?
Dave Metcalfe-Carr

Greg M.

Quote from: metcalfecarr on 15 May, 2020, 10:49:06 AM
Didn't Rogue and the others get brought back in the Friday timeline before Tor Cyan  was declared a clone?

Yeah, they came back and met Friday and then all got killed on some satellite or ship, apart from Venus and Gunnar's chip. Later on, the (oddly underrated) Mercy Heights started with Tor Cyan in it. Eventually, Tor got a somewhat directionless solo series, which revealed that he'd been cloned from Rogue's remains by... some big space monster thingy.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 15 May, 2020, 11:09:01 AM

Yeah, they came back and met Friday and then all got killed on some satellite or ship, apart from Venus and Gunnar's chip. Later on, the (oddly underrated) Mercy Heights started with Tor Cyan in it. Eventually, Tor got a somewhat directionless solo series, which revealed that he'd been cloned from Rogue's remains by... some big space monster thingy.

To be honest for me this is one of the biggest shames in 2000ad history in the space of maybe what 6 or 7 years they managed to make a mess of a characters history by trying to jam so much together that really didn't need to be. Took Marvel about 4 times that to make say Jean Grey as convoluted and DC at least two or three Crisis!

Greg M.

Tharg blamed the readers for allegedly besieging him with queries about how Rogue and Friday were connected.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Greg M. on 15 May, 2020, 12:54:41 PM
Tharg blamed the readers for allegedly besieging him with queries about how Rogue and Friday were connected.

Obviously anecdote≠data, but literally none of the 2000AD fans I knew then or know now were remotely bothered by this question, understanding perfectly well that Friday was an alternate take on the original character. I've never thought that line bore much scrutiny.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

broodblik

Friday's story started before Rogue's story was completed. Rogue was completely abandoned when Friday was getting into its stride.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Greg M.

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 May, 2020, 01:01:25 PM
I've never thought that line bore much scrutiny.

I agree - I'm not at all convinced that anyone was really clamouring for it. I know that distant 1989 was before the era in which the reboot became quite so ubiquitous, but I expect the readership got the general idea.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Greg M. on 15 May, 2020, 11:09:01 AM

Later on, the (oddly underrated) Mercy Heights started with Tor Cyan in it. Eventually, Tor got a somewhat directionless solo series, which revealed that he'd been cloned from Rogue's remains by... some big space monster thingy.

Tor was regened directly from Rogue's biochip (recovered from his actual corpse, found drifting in space) and the 'space monster' was Rahab, one of the same 'flesh factories' that we met beneath Cinnabar in the form of Charybdis.
@jamesfeistdraws

Greg M.

Since your memory of this demonstrates the crystal-clarity that mine lacks, I'm curious: is Charybdis directly referenced? If so, fair play, John Tomlinson.