Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

The Wicker Man - The Final Cut.

Now any cut of this film is just aces.
And the remastered HD 'final cut' version (in reality a long ago produced intermediate version between the theatrical and extended cuts) hits the spot.

Nicely, the other two cuts are also present on this Blu-Ray, as are the pretty good extra's from previous releases. Though rather annoyingly a BBC Scotland Documentary, from the 90's?,  is still unavailable.
New extra's are OK, and a CD of the soundtrack (which ive got three times now...) is included.

A strange and unique film that still packs a punch.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Limitless

I was disappointed when it didn't turn out to be a drug allowing access to parallel dimensions.
Lock up your spoons!

Charlie boy

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 19 October, 2013, 11:10:43 PM
Limitless

I was disappointed when it didn't turn out to be a drug allowing access to parallel dimensions.
I've only seen it the once myself, can't say it impressed me enough to even watch a bit of it when it's being shown again.

pictsy

50 First Dates  Was looking for something relatively short and easy to watch.  This film fit the bill and was sweet for the most part.  I probably enjoy Wedding Singers more, but I've seen that film plenty of times already.

GrinningChimera

Hardwire

$10 on Blu-ray. The blurb on the back about it being adapted from a 2000ad strip sold me. It was pretty cheesy, and Lemmys acting was terrible, but it was all part of the fun. The music was great. The special effects were not bad considering it was probably a no-budget affair. Stand out part was when the guy got killed by the door.  8/10

GrinningChimera

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: GrinningChimera on 20 October, 2013, 05:47:03 AM
Hardwire

$10 on Blu-ray. The blurb on the back about it being adapted from a 2000ad strip sold me. It was pretty cheesy, and Lemmys acting was terrible, but it was all part of the fun. The music was great. The special effects were not bad considering it was probably a no-budget affair. Stand out part was when the guy got killed by the door.  8/10

I never really understood how they thought they could get away with ripping off that Shok story. The thing is, had they been straight up about it from the outset, they could have avoid massive legal costs, and maybe even got the owners of 2000AD on board to market it.  Were they worried there'd be too much third party meddling of their vision or something?

Mabs

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, actually I haven't watched all of it yet. Put it into my DVD player last night, watched 10 minutes then fell asleep! Nothing to do with the film, I was dead tired, honest! Will attempt to watch it again tonight. Anyone already watched it on here?
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Charlie boy

That's funny, I nearly bought it last night because it's in the nearby Tesco for a couple of quid and I didn't see it on cinema release because it was only being shown in 3D.
Now you have to write a proper review of it for me when you've watched it, like an essay you'll be graded on.

Hawkmumbler

I can write a review for AL:VH if you like....

......its shite.

Now you can keep that few quied in your wallet be be a happier man.

Charlie boy

A+ to the Hawk' for a speedy delivery and making me feel clever for placing those few loose pounds on something else entirely (although technically, they weren't the same coins because I spent the money on Amazon on returning home- Throw Momma From The Train as part of a friend's gift for a day near the end of December)!

pictsy

Charlie boy

Quote from: pictsy on 20 October, 2013, 12:26:45 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 20 October, 2013, 12:17:41 PM
......its shite.

The clue is in it's title.
Part of me was hoping for a fun/easy watch by Bekmambetov.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: GrinningChimera on 20 October, 2013, 05:47:03 AM
Hardware

The special effects were not bad considering it was probably a no-budget affair.

£800,000 as I recall.

Quote from: shaolin_monkeyI never really understood how they thought they could get away with ripping off that Shok story. The thing is, had they been straight up about it from the outset, they could have avoid massive legal costs, and maybe even got the owners of 2000AD on board to market it.  Were they worried there'd be too much third party meddling of their vision or something?

As I said the last time this came up: Richard Stanley has always maintained that there was no conscious intent to plagiarize Shok -- rather that the similarities manifested at an entirely unconscious level, which I'm inclined to believe. There've been enough times over the years where I've thought I've come up with a brilliant idea only for someone to point out that it's actually like a Future Shock/ Twilight Zone/ short story... it's the short one-offs that tend fall below the threshold of immediate recollection but which lurk somewhere below the surface.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Sideshow Bob

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 20 October, 2013, 12:17:41 PM
I can write a review for AL:VH if you like....

......its shite.

Now you can keep that few quied in your wallet be be a happier man.

Agree with Hawkmonger ( Charlie boy and Pictsy ) and very succinctly put Hawk mate....!!!.... :D
The overall story idea is not 'too bad', but the CGI effects are way, way below par  ( as in it's blatantly obvious it's CGI ),  and the acting is decidedly 'hammy'.......Did I enjoy it ??.......No, not really !!.....I've seen far worse,  but in no way would I recommend you spend money on buying it on DVD.....
Catch it when it comes on terrestrial TV, and then be grateful you didn't waste your cash....

I love Vampire movies ( as in 'real',  non 'sparkly',  love torn,  Vampires ) but this one is fairly near the bottom of the pile within the recent run of Vampire 'dross'....

Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890