Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mogzilla

i hate musicals anyway but when the mini and missus don't like one there must be something ...
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

TordelBack

Dead inside, the lot of you!  Back to your Nu52 books, where you belong.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Recrewt on 10 April, 2014, 12:57:26 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 10 April, 2014, 12:45:48 PM
Frozen was shit man!

"Mark Kermode breaks into a cold sweat as he thinks of the next generation of film critics ready to take his crown.  Younger, more intelligent and with sharper wit.  How can he compete?"
;)

Hah!  :lol:
To be completely (dirty) frank the visuals in Frozen where outstanding, but the plot was utter rehashed nonsense and the characters utterly void of any originality. Except maybe for Elsa's "coming-out-of-the-closet" analogy but still their was little of interest to me.

Professor Bear

I found Frozen quite anaemic, and when people talk about it being some feminist fable I think I watched a different film.  The only thing it did do differently was in having two equally likely male suitors for the female lead, but then it whizzes that up the wall with a heel turn, removing any need for her to display emotional maturity and choose between them, turning the film into the usual Disney "fated to be together" shite.

TordelBack

I'm not sure how a loose adaptation of a Hans Christian Anderson story can profitably be criticised of having an 'unoriginal' plot, nor do I even remember the 'two male suitors' dilemma being a feature - the move the film makes is to have that aspect, and Anna's love-life in general, being essentially irrelevant to the outcome.  It's not about Anna choosing between two men at all, indeed at the critical moment where she has to make a choice it's between Kristoff and Elsa - that may not fit anyone's idea of a 'feminist fable' and I certainly won't disagree there, but where two women solve their own considerable familial and political problems without reference to the male leads, I think that's worth noting, especially set against the ghastly ranks of precedents like Little Mermaid and its ilk.

JOE SOAP

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 April, 2014, 05:24:32 PM
Quote from: mogzilla on 10 April, 2014, 04:24:47 PM
i hate musicals anyway but when the mini and missus don't like one there must be something ...

Or you're just wrong

Now you've done it, mog. Musicals are for SOAP what Lara is to the otherwise inarticulate ball of rage and frustration that is Mongrol.

JOE SOAP

Professor Bear

No Earth Girls are Easy, Hairspray, Little Shop of Horrors, Les Miserables, Jailhouse Rock?

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 April, 2014, 05:14:02 PMthat may not fit anyone's idea of a 'feminist fable' and I certainly won't disagree there

I like the gay reading of the film, with Elsa's parents taking her to the goblin equivalent of a "pray the gay away" camp and all, though I do wonder if it's the fact that she has no romantic plot that's been the basis of the reading rather than the alternative take on the lyrics of the musical numbers.

Jim_Campbell

i hate musicals anyway

Rocky Horror? The Blues Brothers? South Park: The Movie?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 April, 2014, 05:53:36 PM
THE 'CITIZEN KANE' OF IRREVERENCE

The heyday of practical effects - the cab driver is actually just further away from the camera than the cab. I always thought Lloyd Bridges invented the can we have a picture gag. God knows I didn't want to be that guy, but someone's got to:

WHETHER YOU HATE THIS OR LOVE IT DEPENDS ON WHETHER YOU HAD A SISTER

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor Bear on 10 April, 2014, 06:11:56 PM
I like the gay reading of the film, with Elsa's parents taking her to the goblin equivalent of a "pray the gay away" camp and all, though I do wonder if it's the fact that she has no romantic plot that's been the basis of the reading rather than the alternative take on the lyrics of the musical numbers.

Yeah, I think it's a fair reading.  I don't think it's necessary for Elsa to actually be gay for the parallel to be an intentional element of the film - her parents make a fundamental (if well-meaning) mistake in trying to change and hide her nature, and her leaving her family behind before embracing fabulousness proves a mistake too.  Acceptance rather than conformity or exile seems like a good core message with many applications.

mogzilla

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 10 April, 2014, 06:12:55 PM
i hate musicals anyway

Rocky Horror? The Blues Brothers? South Park: The Movie?

Cheers

Jim

ok.i'll concede south park and anything family guy did...I have never seen blues brothers! :o
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.