Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HdE

I just saw '2 Guns', which was one of those annoying neither-good-nor-bad movies. Some clever stuff, some decent performances, but it somehow felt lifeless.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

ThryllSeekyr

I watched the film Gravity after my father had brought it and given it to me along with the sequel to Thor and so I watched Thor Two: The Dark World and I will get to that one just a little bit afterwards.

As I watched Gravity, I barely took any notice. As it was very dull and seem to go on and on. Beside Sandra Bullock never did any nude scenes here, unless I missed them between watching this and playing computer games on my computer....I will post something related to this on my Facebook page later.

Anyway, I want to draw your attention to one scene where George Clooney's character returns to the ship/capsule thing-a-ma-jig in space and in far orbit around our earth. He opens the door/hatch and enters from outside (In Space). Without using one of those special rooms that decompress and refill themselves with oxegen first. This only mildly disturbs Sandra Bullock -whom ever she was in this film- as the atmosphere of the cabin is briefly upset by George before he closes the door again. This I all done while he is still wearing a space suit, unlike poor Sandra. Whom I thought, should had froze solid and suffocated instantly or in the very least needed urgent medical treatment.

Not sure why they did this scene this way.....perhaps I was wrong and this is normal, but I can't help but think they purposedly made error here.

All in the name of scifi, fantasy rather than fact.

Maybe George -the person he was portraying- was trying get rid of her.

All in all I totally failed to take much notice of anything else in this film.

Now about Thor Two : Dark World.....

Great film, but not as good as the first one and I didn't really like how they made those so called Dark Elves

I would like to draw to your attention ...the bit towards the start of the film when Thor enters on a field of battle in his usual awesome fashion -the thing with the Rainbow Bridge teleportation device or is that giant Unicorn pissing him onto the ground. Showering the ground with it's glittery urination. -

Anyway, I think it's the moment he appears or just before he does....that his famous and mighty hammer  Mjolnir flies out of the lavender tower of shifting colours and hits nothing at all before it reverses it's direction and flies back into Thor waiting hand as he steps majestically from where all the light and colour was before.

While, I thought this was awesome and cool (A scene that I kept rewatching over and over again...) the first couple of times I've seen this. I can't but help think this was just him showing off and now seems a little pointless.

I also can't get over the fact that none of the actors, in Liam in particular are not anywhere speaking in the right accent. I believe they should, sound more northern, like they come from [Norway or what country those Norse gods originate from. Liam Hemsworth may look the part but his deep throated growling seemed a mixture of his nature Aussie accent and something I can't quite identify. I know I can't talk myself, literally (A reason why I deleted all my You-Tube videos and the ones where I featured myself speaking in particular.) but couldn't they afford to learn the correct accent or were Norse god hero's allowed to sound anyway they like by virtue of their god-hood.

Thor sounds Australian/American (Perhaps....)

Loki sounds too British which might be almost understandable since a lo of them became known as Saxon's

Odin sound almost right, but still undeniably American/European.

Well, I'm not convinced, but otherwise enjoyed the film.

I love the part where him Thor and Loki steal their own alien spacecraft. That was cool while it lasted.

My bad if this doesn't make sense in some places, but I can't be bothered rereading this and correcting my errors. I've been up all night and the next morning nursing the downloads on this computer.

Fungus

Yojimbo

I love a bit of Kurosawa, me. Shame on me, my  Seven Samurai DVD is unwatched now for many months. Hit me if I don't watch that soon. Something about subtitling forces my noggin to concentrate that bit more, it's a richer experience.
A bit like comics. Maybe.

Theblazeuk

I'm not sure what I just read but it was a bold post.

Place Beyond the Pines. Boring.

HdE

Not to be a douchebag or anything, but this made me smile:

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 12 May, 2014, 12:00:43 AM

Anyway, I want to draw your attention to one scene where George Clooney's character returns to the ship/capsule thing-a-ma-jig in space and in far orbit around our earth. He opens the door/hatch and enters from outside (In Space). Without using one of those special rooms that decompress and refill themselves with oxegen first. This only mildly disturbs Sandra Bullock -whom ever she was in this film- as the atmosphere of the cabin is briefly upset by George before he closes the door again. This I all done while he is still wearing a space suit, unlike poor Sandra. Whom I thought, should had froze solid and suffocated instantly or in the very least needed urgent medical treatment.

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 12 May, 2014, 12:00:43 AMAll in all I totally failed to take much notice of anything else in this film.

Says it all, really. Go back and re-watch that sequence.

I DO get why you had a reaction to it, though. When I saw the movie, I was jumping up and down in my seat at that part, going 'WHAAAAAAAAT??!' The movie appears to lose all claims to credibility there... until just a few minutes later.

I enjoyed Gravity a great deal. It may indeed be '90 minutes of bumping into stuff' as one internet pundit described it, but it's very well staged, in my opinion.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Frank

As I watched Gravity, I barely took any notice ... and (was) playing computer games on my computer. In one scene, George Clooney's character returns to the ship in space and opens the door/hatch and enters from outside (In Space) without using one of those special rooms that decompress and refill themselves with oxegen first. Not sure why they did this scene this way.....perhaps I was wrong and this is normal, but I can't help but think they purposedly made error here. All in all I totally failed to take much notice of anything else in this film.

Now about Thor Two : Dark World ... Liam Hemsworth may look the part but his deep throated growling seemed a mixture of his nature Aussie accent and something I can't quite identify. My bad if this doesn't make sense in some places, but I can't be bothered rereading this and correcting my errors. I've been up all night and the next morning nursing the downloads on this computer

I love your work, Mr Pilkington.

Mattofthespurs

I

Not sure why they did this scene this way.....perhaps I was wrong and this is normal, but I can't help but think they purposedly made error here.

[spoiler]Dude, she was dreaming[/spoiler]

TordelBack

I also can't get over the fact that none of the actors, in Liam in particular are not anywhere speaking in the right accent. I believe they should, sound more northern, like they come from [Norway or what country those Norse gods originate from...

Asgard?  More a different dimension than a place in Norway, I suspect, and thus subject to the booming tones and sibilant hisses of Generic Fantasy English, with occasional mewling quim for, errr, flavour.

This bit of your review gave me a good hearty morning chuckle, Thryll old man - worthy of the Godpleton himself:
Thor enters on a field of battle in his usual awesome fashion -the thing with the Rainbow Bridge teleportation device or is that giant Unicorn pissing him onto the ground. Showering the ground with it's glittery urination. -

Keef Monkey

I enjoyed Gravity loads, but have never really had any craving to own it or go back to it - felt very much like a one-off rollercoaster of a movie, and I've just not been fussed about giving it a rewatch away from the cinema/IMAX experience.

I do find myself playing the score at work occasionally (when I don't need my ears for said work), a lot of interesting ideas coming together there. Sometimes just the sound of it stresses me out though.

I mentioned before, but it did suffer a little for me by coming along in the same week I watched Europa Report, which I thought was a less bombastic but more interesting film.

Theblazeuk

Either some people haven't got the joke or I got a joke that didn't exist.

Which means either way I'm ahead I suppose.

shaolin_monkey

If you ave a 3D telly, and you can get Gravity 3D on the cheap, it's well worth a purchase.  Like DRedd, it's one of the few films where the 3D really adds extra flavour to the experience.  I've watched Gravity a few times now, and can largely block out Clooney being Clooney, as the viuals distract me.  Sandra Bullock has grown on me too.

Keef Monkey

Got a 3D telly but rather annoyingly I got it around the same time as I bought my XB1 and sold my PS3, only to find that the XB1 doesn't support 3D blu-ray playback. It's apparently on the list of things that are being added with patches and updates, but I do wish I'd held onto the PS3 in the meantime so I could watch Dredd on it!

Professor Bear

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 12 May, 2014, 11:49:46 AM
Got a 3D telly but rather annoyingly I got it around the same time as I bought my XB1 and sold my PS3

Anyone who upgrades to a current gen console right now to use it as a media hub is a jive sucker - if they've upgraded to the low-spec XB1 they are especially so, possibly approaching jive turkey levels of jive.

The Survivalist - not so much a post-apocalyptic movie as promised by being an adaptation of a series of post-holocaust pulp adventure novels - featuring mutants and super-science - so much as an episode of the A-Team where one of them goes to a small town where the evil sheriff has declared martial law because of Big Business or a cartel or something, and then they run about for 90 minutes, occasionally running into that army guy chasing them and also the Black Widows for some reason.  The plot is basically that some guy with a perm drives his truck out to a cave to meet his kid - this is literally  the entirety of the character's journey, though his wife and daughter die at the start at the hands of home invaders and 30 minutes later he's shagging some nurse, so I took a dislike to him even before I remembered the nurse is his best mate's bird.
Complete shit even by mid-80s post-apocalyptic b-movie standards, though the VHS cover is awesome (understandable when it so blatantly lies to you about what's in the film).

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Professor Bear on 12 May, 2014, 01:20:52 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 12 May, 2014, 11:49:46 AM
Got a 3D telly but rather annoyingly I got it around the same time as I bought my XB1 and sold my PS3

Anyone who upgrades to a current gen console right now to use it as a media hub is a jive sucker - if they've upgraded to the low-spec XB1 they are especially so, possibly approaching jive turkey levels of jive.

Enormously happy with it as such, and have spent more than enough time with both consoles to know I picked the right one for me. Very keen to get that 3D update though all the same, even though I'll probably only watch a 3D movie very occasionally.

Hawkmumbler

Thanks for the heads up about The Survivalist, Prof! Sounds like a fun night in!