Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

The Lego Movie

Fun as long as you keep the inner child at the forefront. Noisy and annoying otherwise, at least up until the sweet stuff.

Recrewt

Quote from: King Pops on 14 August, 2014, 11:31:54 PM
Quote from: Buttonman on 14 August, 2014, 10:25:03 PM
Bullitt was pretty good too although the car chase was a bit overhyped.

Nope. Not having that.

Maybe it's not the best ever car chase in film, but by God it's the best car chase ever filmed.

Those cars aren't skidding about because a stunt man knew how to coordinate the pedals and steering wheel in a such a way that the arse of the car swings out. Those cars are skidding about because the actors in the driving seats were actually driving like the maniacs they were portraying. They took their big, stupid, point'n'stamp muscle cars and tried to force them around the steep, tight corners of San Fransisco.

I tend to agree with Buttonman that the car chase in Bullitt is not as good as people say they are.  I think you nailed some of why that is when you mentioned the type of cars they were using and the locations - it just doesn't quite work.  I also think it goes on a bit too long.

I always thought the French Connection had a better car chase and I'm sure I saw somewhere that they didn't even close the roads off for that.

shaolin_monkey

QuoteButtonman, have you seen The Seven Samurai?

I have as part of my quest to see all the films in the IMDb 250. I gave it a solid 7/10 but can't remember much about it. From the Kurosawa canon I preferred 'Rashomon', 'Throne of Blood' and 'High and Low' which was a contemporary thriller based on an Ed McBain book - the subject of a previous challenge (to read all 50+ 87th Precinct books. I have no life.
[/quote]

I'm sure you have as much life as anyone else on this board. ;)

I just wondered, as I understand The Magnificent Seven was a western retelling of Seven Samurai, and wondered what you thought - similarities/differences, genre etc?

TordelBack

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 15 August, 2014, 04:03:12 PM
I just wondered, as I understand The Magnificent Seven was a western retelling of Seven Samurai, and wondered what you thought - similarities/differences, genre etc?

I'm no cineaste-cum-gourmet*, but it's clear neither film can tie the sandals of Battle Beyond the Stars, and should be regarded as mere John-the-Baptists to the main event.

*Hmmm.

NapalmKev

Quote from: Official Hawkeye Pierce Action Figure link=topic=31824.msg840431#msg840431

I'm no cineaste-cum-gourmet*, but it's clear neither film can tie the sandals of
i]Battle Beyond the Stars[/i], and should be regarded as mere John-the-Baptists to the main event.

*Hmmm.

Was that the one that had Robert Vaughn playing pretty much the same role he portrayed in Mag 7? Ie: Deranged and paranoid.

If so, good film, from what I recall. Also had 'John-Boy Walton' in unless I'm mistaken.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Frank

Quote from: NapalmKev on 15 August, 2014, 06:14:05 PM
Quote from: Official Hawkeye Pierce Action Figure link=topic=31824.msg840431#msg840431
I'm no cineaste-cum-gourmet*, but it's clear neither film can tie the sandals of Battle Beyond the Stars, and should be regarded as mere John-the-Baptists to the main event.

Was that the one that had Robert Vaughn playing pretty much the same role he portrayed in Mag 7? If so, good film, from what I recall. Also had 'John-Boy Walton' in unless I'm mistaken.

Aye - that's what everyone remembers about that film.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: sauchie post office on 15 August, 2014, 06:53:02 PM
Quote from: NapalmKev on 15 August, 2014, 06:14:05 PM

Was that the one that had Robert Vaughn playing pretty much the same role he portrayed in Mag 7? If so, good film, from what I recall. Also had 'John-Boy Walton' in unless I'm mistaken.

Aye - that's what everyone remembers about that film.

Didn't it also have George Peppard?

Frank

I was obviously a wee primary school pervert.

shaolin_monkey

I watched The Monkey King this afternoon, the recent version with Donnie Yen.  It was very good indeed, and although it took liberties with the Wu Cheng En classic, the adjustments were to give a more theatrical and cinematic feel, creating love interests and reasons for conflict outside of Sun WuKong just pissing off deities in the Jade Palace.  The final 30 mins was suitably epic.

It was so bloody good I've ordered the region 2 3D Blu Ray release at a fair cost. However, I must watch it again in the best possible definition, and in 3D! 

If anyone here has a penchant for Monkey or Journey to the West, you'll definitely want to see this.

Mabs

Watched Coraline with the kids earlier on today (well technically it'd be yesterday now!). Not my first viewing mind, but it's bloody gorgeous to behold, with a superb, macabre story to boot. Wish we had more children's film like this. Monster House is another good 'un. So is 9. Me and my boy love stuff like that. I think I'll introduce him to one of my childhood favourites - Labyrinth! I know he'd love it.  :D
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

NapalmKev

Cabin Fever: Patient Zero.

Um...

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mabs on 17 August, 2014, 12:44:13 AM
So is 9.

9 is terrible — it looks fantastic but makes no sense whatsoever.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

CrazyFoxMachine

His Heavy Heart

Kickstarter reward from way back. Oddly I've not seen the four parts of the Jimmy's End cycle that proceed it (yet - waiting for the reward DVD to show) but it's very brilliant on it's own - sickly and dark and quite funny. Very Moore and very marvellous.

Andrew Buckley's malevolent clown is fantastically played and the whole thing looks absurdly slick - although I couldn't shake how close Darrel D'Silva's Jimmy looks to Tony Slattery...

Buttonman

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 15 August, 2014, 04:03:12 PM
QuoteButtonman, have you seen The Seven Samurai?

One had cowboys and the other lots of Japanese chaps  :P . Never really analysed it but the same structure and arcs with the mismatched group coming together to fight the bad guys and save the villagers. I think Samurai benefits from being foreign and seeming a bit more deep than some cowboys shooting a load of gringos in a manner that's now such a cliché. Would wast 'The Three Amigos' ahead of either!

Watched 'The War Lover' and really enjoyed it. McQueen plays a right shit happy to try and steal the lovely Shirley Anne Field from Number 2, Robert Wagner. Some ropey model work but engaging stuff with an early role for 'Oooh Betty' star, Michael Crawford.

Buttonman

Quote from: Greg M. on 09 August, 2014, 12:42:44 PM
Quote from: Buttonman on 09 August, 2014, 12:34:12 PM
Anyone got a favourite Steve McQueen film that isn't 'The Great escape'?

I really like his performance in the 'The War Lover' - his WWII bomber-pilot character is a monstrous arsehole of the highest order, and McQueen plays him with antagonistic brilliance.

Good call on this one Greg! Credit to him for playing the asshole role rather than the romantic lead - still the ladies all love a bastard. Like the scene of him giving a prostitute a fiver and telling her to get a dress and call herself Daphne - we've all been there!