Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

The Man Who Fell to Earth....

....OK, look, see, I pride myself on being able to understand a lot of what goes on in odd movies, artsy or other wise...

....But what the flaming hell was all THAT about?!

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Satanist on 03 November, 2016, 11:12:25 AM
Train to Busan was fucking great though.

Agreed! Went the other night and the more I think about it the more I like it. Wasn't quite the super intense gory horror-fest I expected - it plays more of a really nail-biting action thriller I thought - but it's very solid and feels amazingly fresh for a genre that's been done to death. They really put a new spin on it and brought some cool ideas to it, really liked it.

By-Jove

Watching Thor last night and thinking why the beard. He was clean shaven in in the earlier comics I read. Recalling that I had brought one or part of one at a school flea market back in 83, I think. From that time on, I was a big Thor fan.

Watched this first with the commentary switched on and loved the talk about how they came up with the look and effect of the Rainbow Bi-frost bridge. It gives me so much insight and then fell asleep. That was the night before and watched it again the following night just loving that bit where they make unlawful by not uncalled for Attack on the Jotan. Depending on how you look on the fact that Odin had stole from the Frost Giants.

Also loved seeing Thor get his powers back so awesomely. Yet, I don't like Chris Hemsworth in this role. His voice  & characterisation is terrible. He does sound a little retarded if Thor is supposed to be that way compared to his more mind full half brother. He does fill the costume well, but don't you think Dolph Lungren would do it so much better with his more suitable sounding northern accent. I also suppose they needed somebody as young as Chris, but again why the beard. Did they ever draw him that way before the film.

Theblazeuk

Thor has mostly been clean-shaven in the comics but has flirted with a beard over the years. Most notably during Walt Simonson's epic run, which built up the comic mythology significantly (and gave us his best costume ever in my book).

Satanist

I'd always meant to watch Threads so thought I would fix that on Saturday - Relentlessly grim would be my verdict. Also not as dated as I was expecting. I don't think you can say you enjoyed it but I'm glad I've now seen it. Recommended.

Also did Alan Moore rip it off for Crossed+100
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

By-Jove

Only seen that one Thor comic & possibly remember how he looked from any of the cartoons he appeared in as well as well. I also have a vague memory of the original Incredible Hulk live action series crossing with somebody. Used to buy a lot of various comics that were neither belonging to any one character or hero from the same universe, because I used to over look 2000AD magazine, & this was when I was ten years old.  This never amounted to me ever owning a less than significant collection until a few years ago, when I started finding the latest 2000AD novel reprints in a rare book or comic stores in the nearest city.

I like to get that big bumper book of Thor. You know those hard covers books, not sure if they're still around. 

TordelBack

Quote from: Satanist on 07 November, 2016, 10:49:32 AM
Also did Alan Moore rip it off for Crossed+100

You're nobody in this town until either Alan Moore has ripped you off, or you've ripped Alan Moore off. The best can do both at the same time.

And By-Jove, you leave Hemsworth alone - he's Worthy, beard and all, and that's all you Roman-Pantheon types need to worry about. Get back to your sister-marrying and bestiality.

By-Jove

Yeah, I hate to think what he might be thinking if the actual Chris Hemsworth read my Thor related comments here and still love the film on the strength of my past infatuation with the character.
  It just occurred to me how did the creator or copier get away with ripping off the Viking pantheon like that. Yet, awesome all the same!
  Tordalbach, I don't have a sister &/or pet/able access to animals. I do have these two tiny pigs that squeak/oink whenever I squeeze them, but they're just toys. Now, you have me thinking about a half-goat-half-human half-sister. I think they're like the Nymphs from Witcher Three. I don't know if I'd marry her, but sure like to chase her for a bit
I'd also like to let it be known  I don't hate Chris Hemsworth, but I do wish he would move on to other pursuits more suited to him. He's obvious beef-cake eye-candy for the girls, but jot for me 

Mardroid

QuoteIt just occurred to me how did the creator or copier get away with ripping off the Viking pantheon like that. Yet, awesome all the same!

In my last long term job, I had a colleague who used to love the Marvel and DC comicbook films, and she used to like to chat about them with me. A very bright intelligent girl, but the gaps in her knowledge sometimes surprised me.

For one, she had no idea Thor and the other Asgardians characters were based on Norse pagan gods. I think she just assumed Thor was another superhero invented by Marvel.

As a devout Christian she got a kick out of that exchange concerning the Asgardians between Black Widow and Cap, "they're basically gods." "I only believe in one God ma'am", but the full significance of BW's comment obviously passed her by.

She was pretty young though and I'll admit there's plenty of gaps in my own knowledge concerning modern pop stuff.

Theblazeuk

Well whatever copyright there was on Norse mythology expired sometime around 1700AD, so Stan the Man could go wild.

Bat King

Search Destroy on Saturday.

Very good it was indeed.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

By-Jove

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 07 November, 2016, 08:33:07 PM
Well whatever copyright there was on Norse mythology expired sometime around 1700AD, so Stan the Man could go wild.

Understandably for person who grew up on books of most mythologies and pathenon's. This might still seem like cheap shot, but it pans out because it creates more publicity for them

radiator

I saw that Deadpool popped up on HBO, and decided to give it a go. Much to my surprise, I quite enjoyed it. I'd say the jokes were about 50/50 - some legitimately funny bits (loved the credit roll at the start) but I still find a lot of Deadpool's schtick to be insufferably cringey and juvenile.

Overall though, yeah, quite liked it. Didn't take itself seriously, actually had some balls as an action movie, had a nice contained plot and didn't outstay it's welcome.

A high 3/5.

Steve Green

The Iron Giant - Signature Edition.

Finally, (well last year anyway) a nicely featured Blu-Ray edition, with a couple of extra scenes and documentary.

Yeah, I cried again. It's just one of those films that does that to me without fail.

Hawkmumbler

Doctor Strange is another feather in Marvels cinematic bow. An absolute triumph of visual trickery, magic and sound, everyone gave it their all the usually omnipresent Cumberbatch actually dismisses all doubts and nails the role like it was made for him (something that Marvel are becoming very, very good at) and the hero's journey was whole and gratifying. Stunning, loved it, roll of Thor: Ragnarok and Guardians of the Galaxy vol.2!

Godzilla vs. King Kong. Come on, a remake just got announced, how was I not going to give this a rewatch. On the face of it, KKvG is a highly flawed movie. As only the third Godzilla movie and the second since dispensing with the deeper meaning for the character it seemed from the outset all we where going to be in for was goofy early 60's sci-fi, and that was we got. Dispense all pretense of this being the defining masterpiece it's reputation has set it up to be, heck it's not even the best big G movie in the showa era*, and it's a lot of fun.

*That honor probably goes to either Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster or Monster Zero, both I rate rather highly.