Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

Also Ellen Page would have meant not doing it with the First Class cast, as Kitty Pryde wasn't even born at the time so sending her back into her body would be....

Professor Bear

It's a film about wizards*, so don't think too much about it.  The writers could just make something up to surmount plot obstacles, as is kind of their job description: like when they made Xavier not dead in the future, gave him magic walking juice in the past, and made Kitty Pryde a telepathic time-traveler and then hinged the entire plot of the film on all of these things without ever explaining them.

* It's got Gandalf in it.

Famous Mortimer

Bloodfist 7

Don "The Dragon" Wilson just keeps pounding them out. This one is sort of a ripoff of "The Fugitive", where Don gets caught up in a crooked cop-led car theft ring and blah blah blah.

ThryllSeekyr

I'm watching Critters and think it's one of those small known American sci-fi thrillers set in one of their small towns probably somewhere in the mid-west.

You should all know the story. About these porcupine like balls of fur from another world beyond our own who terrorize a town by eating most of their food and the people as well.

The two shape-shifting bounty-hunters who land their space ship somewhere nearby to hunt all of them down know them by the name Crite

Don't bother watching anymore than the first two of these films, they do get kind silly after wards. The second, I have most interest in, but I let you all work that out for yourselves.

Hawkmumbler

Are you insinuating Critters wasn't silly to begin with?

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 21 February, 2015, 04:18:05 PM
Are you insinuating Critters wasn't silly to begin with?

It's not if your into light science fiction that's doesn't take itself too seriously. 

IAMTHESYSTEM

Predestination. I thought it was very clever if a little too clever and consequently left me a little confused since I'm a dunce at logic.

Ethan Hawke is the time travelling agent attempting to prevent a maniac bomber killing thousands of innocent people. Posing as bartender in 1975 he strikes up a conversation with a man who has a very, very strange tale to tell one that involves a secret Government Organization, personal loss and gender identity.

It does make sort of sense in the end. Really.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

CheechFU

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 22 February, 2015, 11:55:12 AM
Predestination. I thought it was very clever if a little too clever and consequently left me a little confused since I'm a dunce at logic.

Ethan Hawke is the time travelling agent attempting to prevent a maniac bomber killing thousands of innocent people. Posing as bartender in 1975 he strikes up a conversation with a man who has a very, very strange tale to tell one that involves a secret Government Organization, personal loss and gender identity.

It does make sort of sense in the end. Really.
This film is great, I keep telling people to watch it.

Goaty

Watch Snowpiercer on Netflix USA again last night, wow, that was very re-watchable!

Hawkmumbler

Still need to get around to Snowpiercer. Which is funny considering it looks just my cup of tea. It's based of a comic book isn't it?

Dark Jimbo

What an odd film Snowpiercer is. Yeah, it's based on a French comic, directed by a Korean, and stars American, English and Korean actors. The three main cultural influences come through quite strongly - US, Korean, French - but I don't know if they mesh particularly well. There are some very weird story beats and off-kilter pacing which I wouldn't bat an eyelid at in a Korean film; but because you spend the first act of the film with Chris Evans, John Hurt and Jamie Bell your brain is wrongfooted into expecting something typically Hollywood. I felt this same weird disconnect all the way through, waiting for it to work out what it wanted to be, but maybe that was just me.

It's certainly good fun, and very watchable - if utterly bonkers. Still got no idea what to make of Tilda Swinton's performance, though. Was it meant to be a comedy role, or what?
@jamesfeistdraws

radiator

I really hated Snowpiercer. Went in expecting a gritty sci fi parable, got a very, very weird art film. The influences never meshed for me either, and i found it really hard to get at all invested in the plight of the characters when the tone - and in-universe 'rules' - kept changing in such a crazy way. I could have accepted the implausible premise if it was presented well, but it just didn't work for me. Also thought that, like the majority of arty farty films, it skirted around some vaguely interesting themes without actually saying anything about them.

Biggest cinematic disappointment of last year.

von Boom

I have to agree with radiator. I'd heard so much about it I was expecting something really great. In the end it was all just pointless. The only shining point for me was Tilda Swinton. Her absurdity was brilliant.

radiator

Every single character seemed like they were in a different film from each other, especially Swinton who seemed to be in a panto and the tedious cigarette-smoking Korean guy who seemed to fit that very particular Asian idea of the 'cool' antihero.

Professor Bear

Herbie Fully Loaded.  It says something about my cynicism that I thought this was about some sort of Cheech and/or Chong-style weed-smoking drugs mule making a dash for the Mexican/American border in a banger full of narcotics instead of an entry in a series of slapstick kids' films about some sort of ghost car, but in my defence, the lead is played by Lindsey Lohan, so I feel justified in my mean-spirited assumptions.
Anyway, it's more like HERBIE FULL OF SHITE on account of it is not very good, although I don't think the film I thought it was would have been any better, not that we'll ever know unless Kevin Smith makes the next one.
Lohan has really big knockers, though, so if you like that kind of thing you might enjoy this more than I did.