Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fungus

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 23 August, 2019, 10:40:02 PM

Whilst it's tempting to do so, I don't want to celebrate the death of any human being. I would much rather celebrate the death of the system which allows and encourages the worst of us to thrive.

Is that virtue signalling? I hope not.

It's not and you are correct. Someone dies and the internet laughs? No thanks.

Dandontdare

It was a tongue in cheek suggestion, I don't really want a 'glad they're dead' thread.

I did however fulfill an oath I swore in the 80s and bought a bottle of champagne when Thatch died. I was helping a friend move that weekend and she initially thought it was a housewarming gift, but once I explained what we were celebrating, she was even happier. I had no time for those who said "lay off, she's an old lady with dementia" ... that just means she was allowed to get old without accounting for her evil. I've spotted quite a few "still hate Thatcher T shirts this summer.

The Legendary Shark

I'm sorry, DDD - it wasn't a dig at you.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: Dandontdare on 23 August, 2019, 09:02:36 PM
heh, when I saw a new post on this tread, I wondered if it was Koch

I was surprised, TBH. I thought Vorlons were essentially immortal.

Hawkmumbler

"Don't speak ill of the dead."

To which I respond.

"Don't be a piece of shit in life."

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 24 August, 2019, 09:03:05 AM
"Don't speak ill of the dead."

To which I respond.

"Don't be a piece of shit in life."

As is being discussed right now this forum needs a like button.

I understand the need to respect relatives of the departed but dying doesn't all of a sudden turn you into a saint!... well I say that I'm sure Peter and Francis might disagree?

Professor Bear

This is a cathartic moment for many people who have been the victims of the Koch's poisoning of our discourse, and more broadly, considering we aren't pulling these fuckers from their homes and hanging them from lamp-posts, I think getting ribbed after you're dead and won't be exposed to it is a small - nay, inconsequential - price to pay for getting away with a lifetime of exploitation and hatemongering.

The Legendary Shark

I've got no problem with honest retrospective and analysis, even jokes, but to celebrate seems awful to me. It drags us down to their level.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Frank

As far as anyone can tell, Mr Cock died because of the pancreatic cancer that's been killing him for the last quarter of a century. That's not an end I'd wish on my worst enemy.

I am, however, very very glad he's dead.

Even if you only subscribe to the crude biblical doctrine of justice, the Cock brothers owe society another eye, since their verified death count is at least two other human beings.

The Cocks are/were the kind of hardcore libertarians Ayn Rand adored, determined to end the evil of tax and destroy the hated State. They're also the worst possible advertisment for self-regulation, racking up record criminal fines for environmental pollution and payments to employees they murdered.

The Cocks didn't foul the planet and murder innocent people because they were incompetent, they did so because performing routine maintenance on their pipelines and observing basic health and safety practices would have made a tiny difference to their annual profits, which are counted in their billions.

Even if you agree with their ideology, the Cocks are/were actively working to undermine the credibility of that belief system. They're not entrepreneurs, they're trust fund babies who turned their right to be rich into a religion and work to destroy anyone trying to make them observe the same basic laws as everyone else.

Everyone should be glad the Cocks' evil is 50% nearer its end.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 24 August, 2019, 04:32:29 PM

I've got no problem with honest retrospective and analysis, even jokes, but to celebrate seems awful to me. It drags us down to their level.

You take the depths the Koch's sank to far too lightly in that case. They where, not to put to fine a point on it, absolute monsters.

TordelBack

I dunno lads, I can be very glad, celebratory even, that a Koch has ceased being an evil world-wrecking shit at long last, without being happy that they had to actually die to stop it.

Frank

TordelBack

Perhaps, but as with serious criminals I'd *definitely* rather all the evil pricks saw the error of their ways and used their time to work towards redemption. Imagine all that power and wealth being bent to good. But I'll settle for them just stopping.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 24 August, 2019, 05:33:14 PM

You take the depths the Koch's sank to far too lightly in that case. They where, not to put to fine a point on it, absolute monsters.

We should perhaps take this conversation over to the Political Thread but I'm not well known for taking the likes of the Kochs (the type of people who subvert governments, influence the public and generally pull strings from the shadows) lightly. They are far from the only ones, so celebrating such deaths is pointless because there'll be another one along presently. It's the system that amplifies and empowers their evil that's the problem - that's the thing we should be looking at. These members of the "superclass" are just the fungus that grows around the institutions which are supposed to help us all.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 24 August, 2019, 05:33:14 PM

We should perhaps take this conversation over to the Political Thread but I'm not well known for taking the likes of the Kochs (the type of people who subvert governments, influence the public and generally pull strings from the shadows) lightly. They are far from the only ones, so celebrating such deaths is pointless because there'll be another one along presently. It's the system that amplifies and empowers their evil that's the problem - that's the thing we should be looking at. These members of the "superclass" are just the fungus that grows around the institutions which are supposed to help us all.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]