Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjobs67

Fair do's. It's still a great film.  :)
'Overwhelming, I'm I not!

Spikes

Surely nowt beats the original?

Always thought the Apes sequels were a load of pants, but i caught Battle for.... recently and loved every cheesy moment of it.

bigjobs67

Yeah. I caught that too and agree. I've always loved the whole run of movies and bought them all on a box set recently.'Beneath' is a great film. Well worth a watch. Mutant humans with super mind powers that live underground in whats left of New York City and who worship a full operational Nuclear Bomb! Whats not to like.  :) (Some amzin,for their day, sets to boot).

bigjobs67

Also it contains the creepiest rendition of the hymn 'All things bright and beautiful' your ever likely to hear, Ever!!! ;)

Van Dom

Nude Nuns with Big Guns,
Yes its really called that. And its about as bad as you might imagine.
Does have plenty of nude nuns though. Not so much big guns.
(Am I the only one who watches these crazy films?)
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Daveycandlish

Yes Van Dom you are - no one else wants to see Sister Wendy in the nip wielding a Kalashnikov!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Gonk

What's it about, postmodern irony?
coming at a cinema near you soon

Professor Bear

Quote from: Van Dom on 16 February, 2012, 08:24:30 PM(Am I the only one who watches these crazy films?)

You only think you like crazy films, Dirk.  I can remember being inappropriately excited to get to see Werewolf in a Women's Prison, which is not ambiguously named, and after something like twenty years after first glancing the trailers for Rollerblade 7 (starring Frank "brother of Sylvester" Stallone) and Robot Wars at the start of some low-budget travesty that probably starred Billy Blanks, Jalal Merhi or Olivier Gruner, I made a night in watching them recently.  Awful, awful films devoid of appeal even as artifacts of postmodern irony, but they task me...

Gonk

Possibly it's just the love of a structure of a narrative that makes you want to watch those kind of films?
coming at a cinema near you soon

Van Dom

I just like to watch movies that are a bit off-kilter, not the norm kind of thing. Every so often this means you come across something really unique and cool. More often that not though, you just sit through shite. But, I don't even mind that so much. Sometime's shite can be entertaining (See The Cosh's thread on wiping, for example).

I also have a huge love of Straight-To-DVD martial arts/action movies. Anything with Van Damme or Lundgren is a must-see for me. I absolutely love 'em. Most recently I've been enjoying Scott Adkins movies as well, as he is the 'new kid on the block' for these things. Last night I watched Ninja, which was a damn fine slice of low-budget, completely-ludicrous chop-socky action. These movies come complete with not so much plot-holes as plot-craters, but that's all part of the charm with them. Brilliant stuff! :)
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Hoagy

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 13 February, 2012, 12:37:51 PM
THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE
I'll admit I was disappointed in this. I was looking forward to a lush, romantic tear jerker (no, really) with some elements of time travel in it but the emotional core just seemed slightly off.  Not a tear in sight come the ending even from Mrs Tips who cries at *everything*.

Eric Bana is often the best thing in the things he's in but not this time - he seemed far too blase about his condition [spoiler]and resigned to a fate when he didn't need to be[/spoiler].  And he didn't sparkle with grown up Rachel in the slightest.

There were a couple of cute time travel elements (the old meeting out of order thing and her shagging [spoiler]the pre-op version of[/spoiler] him) but they missed the chance to explore other bigger  things; [spoiler]what if he comes back in ten years time when she has moved on to another man?  what can the (slightly creepy) daughter do to control her time travel?[/spoiler]

Right, I didn't read all of that but I watched it too and have not watched the Lake House. I'd still say TTW is the better of the two.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Professor Bear

I found the Time Traveler's Wife too cold to be genuinely moving, but also think it strange that it [spoiler]paints Bana's jumping randomly through time naked until he's eventually shot to death as being a bad thing, yet when their child displays the same tendencies they're all "isn't this a fun bonding experience for us as a family?"  THIS IS NOT GOOD PARENTING.[/spoiler]

Tiplodocus

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER

Given the success  of the telly series and the fact that Joss Whedon was the writer, I was expecting a smart, sassy, funny, sexy film that was dark  and scary in places.

I actually don't think I've seen a more inept piece of film making since, well, ever.

It really is ludicrously poor. Chunks of the plot make no sense (one second Luke Perry is leaving town, next he just happens to be fixing a motorcycle in time for a chase. And the baddies have a chat with Buffy and then in the next scene are shocked when she turns out to be the slayer).

It's not scary in the slightest (you actually feel sorry for some of the goofy vampires).

And crucially for something that isn't scary, it's neither funny nor sexy.

It also has the lamest chief vampire and second in command.

everybody involved sleepwalks through their lines.

And it looks like it had a budget of 26p.

More like Buffy the Vampire Shitter.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

It's incredibly bad, isn't it?  I actually avoided the Buffy TV series for ages because I'd seen the film, against the advice of Barry Norman,  might I add - never a good plan.  The vampire make-up and, err, demeanour are so poor that you wonder what they were thinking.  And as for the No. 2 vampire, and his 'historical' incarnations... ay caramba.  It's a miracle Whedon ever got the greenlight for the series, even more incredible that the series actually references the film, and even featured the return of Pike! 

I on the other hand last watched the always-magnificent The Princess Bride with the Boy, who I'm pleased to report got extremely agitated by the Screaming Eels et al at exactly the same times as Fred Savage, and with almost identical objections.  I tip my hat to S. Morgenstern, and his pal William Golding, and oh Rob Riener too I suppose.  Man I miss Andre the Giant, but what a great character to leave behind!  This time round, however, Christopher Guest's Count Rugen stole the show for me - what a performance!

TordelBack

Goldman.  I meant William Goldman.  Although I tip my hat to William Golding too - his Close Quarters trilogy is one of my all-time favourites.