Main Menu

1341 - The final countdown!

Started by DavidXBrunt, 19 May, 2003, 03:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

Dredd - Good ending to a tale that's been entertaining. The villains motives are nicely delineated and make sense. The art is gorgeous as well, really good stuff.

A.B.C.'s - Nice enough ending, good script and art, but such a long wait for more!

Interceptor - Things are finally falling into place and it'll be interesting to see how they get out of this one. I'm enjoying this more than I thought I would.

Snow/Tiger - Settled into it's stride, there's some ingeneous action going on, and the climax is something to look forwards to. I expect we'll see more of this strip.

Oh, and glad the letter-cols back, but that bloke who claims to have looked for info on the message board clearly didn't look very far. And who is going to go out and spend ?20 on a hardback of 'Time Killer'? Wait for it to be remaindered and get it for a fiver folks...

paulvonscott

Sorry Dave, got carried away talking about ABC warriors, so my thread appeared after yours.  Feel free to make yours the official thread, as I waffle on about ABC warriors.

Tu-plang

So four strips this prog AND the end of the ABC's?  That was a short run.  Why doesn't Incerceptor have a run that short?

Queen Firey-Bou

arghhhhhhhh damn you all with early morning postal deliveries !!!
 our POstie is on what they call 'west coast time' so that means sometime 2 to 4 hours later than when due but no-one complains cos this is the west coast & we laugh at timekeeping.

Leigh S

Hehehe!

A day off, so time for an overly critical and nitpicky look at another good prog... look away now, PVS! :)

Dredd:  Liked this story, despite a few odd elements - How does Callaghan being involved in the kidnapping make any sense?  If he was, why would the kidnappers agree to make a deal with some rookie - they'd killed Callaghan after all, so what was in it for them?  The same deal could have been struck by Moreno even if Callaghan wasn't involved ("Take out the old Judge and I wont try to stop you escape" ).  Also, Dredds respirator being conveniently damaged seemed unlikely and unnecessary.  Otherwise a good tale from Morrison, Goddard and Teague.

ABC Warriors - again I've enjoyed this but... Last weeks was a bit clunky to introduce Blackbloods religion in the very same episode as 'gasp!' we see the next shadow Warrior is a member as well - spooky coincidence!  Its less of an issue I suppose, as this is an old school thrill where such things occur regularly, but it does give the impression of Pat making it up on the hoof!  Still, it's a small matter when the story has generally been fun "I've got noose for you"?  Oh dear! :)

Interceptor: Cor, that's a bit convoluted , but at last we are into a point where the story should develop.  

Snow/Tiger:  Snow has obviously been reading Watchmen!

A good prog, but ABC and Caballistics will be missed - Sin Dex is unlikely to be a good substitute, and more future shocks - erk!  That leaves Lobster Random and Rogue as the stop gaps til prog 1350, so the thrill-future remains unclear for this gentle reader.    

Tu-plang

Lobster Random should be interesting, but SinDex?  Does ANYONE like this anymore?  I'd like someting new in their place, perhaps until Dabnett comes up with something interesting to do with the guys.

Does anyone else think Interceptor is a 3am job with Edgington making it up as he goes along?

Warriors... yes they can be naff but it's always still entertaining which is novel in a Mills strip.

WoD

If dredds respirator wasn't damaged, he may have been forced to give it to the kid to use and then the water would have to be all murky or we would see his face (or summat like that probably).

I really enjoyed the first two parts, but the conclusion was not quite up to the inital high standards. IMO anyway.

No time to read anymore yet.

WoD.

GermanAndy

DREDD: Liked the ending. Good story, some nice Dredd lines, a nicely done action sequence and great art.

ABC: It still leaves me rather cold. Sorry. :-)

INTERCEPTOR: High concept - is it me, or is the more than a little reminiscend of Men in Black? -, okay art and some funny dialogue. Not earth-shattering, but okay.

SNOW/TIGER: Good action and it was nice to have a reason why they want to carve each other up. The nazi-technican on the next to last page just looked like Dilbert *g. I truly wonder how they will resolve this?next week. Ah, the art of cliffhangers ...

Well, that Cabbalistics are due in Autumn is sad. A summer full of Sin/Dex. Shudder. Not a happy prospect. At best sandwich it between Tales of Telguth and Future Shocks *gg No, really not a happy prospect.

Oddboy

Another good prog, although heavily missing Caballistics, Inc.

Dredd; I liked this ending, and although maybe the kidnap backstabbing plot didn't make sence, I can't quite remember the set up from the other episodes enough to be bothered picking holes in it!  I liked this tale it was darned tootin'.

ABC Warriors; I'll talk about this on PVS' thread.

Interceptor; AHhh this is a great trashy sci-fi soap and I'm loving it!! Yeah maybe Ian's making it up as he goes along, but as long as he's making up exciting interesting & fun stuff like this then that's just fine & dandy.

Snow/Tiger; liked Snow's escape plan - sneaky!!  Rebellion make this an 'N64's Goldeneye' ripoff game RIGHT NOW!!

;)
Better set your phaser to stun.

Capt.Zeep

Well I don't know if it's just cos I'm suffering from the after effects of the bizarre drinking accident that took place this w/e, but I didn't enjoy this prog as much as the last few.

For a start the cover looks all wrong.  I normally can't get enough of Andy C's art, but the angles of the fallen Nazi's limbs and head just don't look right.  Pus, what's shown on the cover doesn't happen in the strip.  I know, picky picky :)

Dredd, yeah pretty good, why do villains always have to gloat for just long enough to let heroes make miraculous escapes?  He should have just gone for the kill shot straight away, knowing what a formidable foe Dredd would be.  But good art and well scripted, was anyone else vainly looking for graffiti strewn walls ?

ABCs, good art but the exposition in the script is clunky as hell IMO.  Mek Quake making little speeches just ain't right!  Come on, Pat!  Also more time wasting villain gloating, and foolish leaving of obviously-not-dead Rev in pile of rubble.. to quote Hammerstein "Why am I not convinced by any of this?"

Interceptors got a bit Matrixy, largely enjoyable, liked the "pissed off woman in her panties" line.

Much more nitpicky than usual for me, blame the hangover from hell possibly.  Bring on next weeks, let's see what this Lobster Random's all about.

Ailing Zeep

ukdane

COVER: Bit of a "So what" cover for me.

DREDD: I liked this tale, and loved the art. I think Morrison's done a good Dredd tale here over-all. Nive to see Dredd is still Hard as nails, and following the letter of the law. And with Moreno not dead, but fingerless, there's always a chance he could develop into a new villain (once he gets out of the Iso-cubes... ow wherever failed rookies get sent)

ABC WARRIORS: Just when I was getting into this tale, and the story was picking up... it ends. Still full of lots of religious ramblings :-( and the "have I got noose for you" would maje Dan Abnett proud. Can someone explain to me what has happened to Mek-quake, when  did he shrink in size and grow legs? I thought he was a giant bulldozer-like droid eating robot. And next year is far too long to wait for book two... It'll come back, and I'll have forgotten what has happened in book one.

INTERCEPTOR: I'm enjoying this tale. As more of the back story is explained. I think there's potential in a tale based on The Judiciary (page 4 top right panel) Reckon those critters keeping the law could make for an interesting prequel.

SNOW/TIGER: I like this alot. great script great art. Want to highlight this by something that is shown on pages 2 and 6. On page 2 bottom middle panel, Snow: "Come on, girl! Think, dammit... think!" Next panel: Snow looking up at the light bulb above her head... the solution to her predicament, and the light bulb above the head, which is the universal sign for someone having an idea (or thinking)- clever... even more clever...
page 6 (tying in with page 2) Tiger: "Gotta thing of somethin'-" next panel "we have ignition" Tiger: "any second now..." see tiger hasn't had his idea just yet.
Don't know if Diggle planned this or not- if he did clever guy. If not, then ignore me, I'm just reading too much into it all. Still made me think Diggle had done a good job on the script.

INPUT: Good to see it back, now where's my letter Tharg? Agree with DXB about the Slaine question I guess 75+% of the message board could have answered that question.

S'yer lot.
(Have fun at Bristol, attendees)

Dane
Cheers

-Daney

petemaskreplica

Not quite on the samr level as recent weeks, but a fine prog nevertheless.

Dredd: I've really enjoyed this story, it's the first time in ages I can say that of a non-Wagner/Rennie Dredd. And lovely art too, remeniscent of the much under-rated Robin Smith.

ABC: Huge fun, and continues to be camp as f**k - someone mentioned Lee Van Cleef in connection with the Rev last week... oh yeah? try reading his dialogue in Leslie Philips' voice ;)Dammit, why do we have to wait til new year for the next book?
Oh, and is it just me, or does the rev look an awful lot like Bloomcrater?

Interceptor: well, maybe Edgington's hoofing it, but who cares? it's fun! liked the "pissed off woman in her panties" line, OK, now for goodness sake put some clothes on woman! you'll catch your death...

Snow/Tiger: liked the "what would Snow do?" line - pushes the mutual respect line without pushing it down your throat. Only one more episode to go? surely a second series beckons?

Yay! letters! Andy johnston, if you came on the board wanting to know about Time Killer, why didn't you just ask?

Tharg's organ overall continues to please me.

Tiplodocus

Still enjoying my prog.

DREDD was a so-so ending to another wise good tale.  Not sure about the involvement of the other (older) Judge - seemed all a bit strange to me.  I could understand the villain lording it over Dredd - he wanted him to know why he was doing it. Lovely dark art and yes, it reminded me of Robin Smith as well now you mention it. And goodness aren't those badges sharp.

Interceptor - enjoyable stuff even if the road seems well travelled to some of the more well read (in SF) among you. Beautiful, bra bedecked  babe brandishes big blaster - brilliant!

ABC - why am I enjoying this? I know I shouldn't but I do. "Waving your noose at me gave me a channel to escape from my psychic hell" - utter bollocks - yet somehow, just right!

Snow/Tiger - still loving the art and some of the scripting but I feel it has all been a bit rushed and another good idea turned into an extended fight. But again - I enjoyed it.  It can't be because I empathise or feel I've got to know any of the characters (this is normally my excuse for not liking extended fights e.g Bison, Asylum). Perhaps there just seems to be that little bit more wit and cleverness in Snow/Tiger than these others. I'm not very good at hitting nails on heads today.  But my brain is very small.  

Caballistics - damn it finished last week.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

W. R. Logan

>A summer full of Sin/Dex.

With all the talk of jumping on points, would the return of sin/dex be considered the perfect jumping off point.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.http://www.regalweb.co.uk/loony/animated/bart-moon.gif">

Oddboy

FAO Andy Johnston:

Link: http://www.2000adonline.com/index.php3?zone=thrill&page=profiles&Comic=2000AD&choice=slaine" target="_blank">Everything you wanted to know about Sl?ine, but we

http://www.2000adonline.com/images/page/slaine.jpg">
Better set your phaser to stun.