Main Menu

MILO, LOGAN ETC YOU OWE ME A BIG APOLOGY!

Started by Thread Zero, 11 February, 2002, 02:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thread Zero

According to SFX magazine in 1995 -

This is actual word for word from an interview with Dredd producer Cahrles Lippincott:

Why weren't Wagner And Garnt involved in the Dredd film?

Lippincott:
"Well at first IPC asked me to stay away from Wagner but later that relaxed a bit, and we talked to John and Alan Grant. The thing was, Alan had it in his mind that they should be paid for pitching their script online - which isn't done in Hollywood unless you're an incredibally famous writer - and it never worked out."

If what Lippincott says is true, I was right and you lot are wrong. See my earlier thread stuff. You don't get paid for treatments just like that.

I may act stupid here but I am not. And if you think I am making this up, email me at scojo@onetel.net.uk and I will scan and email you this interview.

scojo

Thread Zero

But i can't type this is true!

scojo who knows his film stuff

Thread Zero

Ha ha ha hah

I was right!

na na na na

Stick that in your Dredd pipe and smoke it Milo!

scojo

Thread Zero

How will they live with themselves knowing I was right and they were wrong!!

Me scojo the twit is right!!!

ha hahahahahahahahahahhahaha

Logan and Milo what a pair of shooshi moos!

Hee hee

Oh Sh**t the men in the coats are back.
I'm off.

I love you all, especially Jean Reno.
Oh come here, frenchy.

XXXXXXXXXXXxx
scojo

GordonR

I suppose it depends on whether you believe what one of those very honest and truthful Hollywood producers says, you twit.

Especially when they're talking to a British sf mag and explaining why they didn't give the writing gig on a British sf character to the two British writers who more than anyone made that chatacter what he was.

Suffice to say, John and Alan tell a rather different version of events to the one told by Mr Lippincott in the not-very-journalistically reliable SFX.  I know which version I - and, probably most people here - am more likely to believe.

Being a twit, of course, you choose the other one.

W. R. Logan

>According to SFX magazine in 1995 -

>This is actual word for word from an interview with Dredd producer Cahrles Lippincott:

>Why weren't Wagner And Garnt involved in the Dredd film?

>Lippincott:
>"Well at first IPC asked me to stay away from Wagner but later that relaxed a bit, and we talked to John and Alan Grant. The thing was, Alan had it in his mind that they should be paid for pitching their script online - which isn't done in Hollywood unless you're an incredibally famous writer - and it never worked out."

>If what Lippincott says is true, I was right and you lot are wrong. See my earlier thread stuff. You don't get paid for treatments just like that.

Which only goes to say that you are right about how Hollywood in general deal with prospective scriptwriters. If I remember rightly that wasn't the whole crux of the thread. You're argument was that Wagner & Grant were mercenary about how they wanted to be paid to submit any work. My argument was that they wanted to be paid for work done, which may not be how Lippincott does things, but he didn't get Wagner and Grant because they simply wanted to be paid for work done.
Now you may have extensive contacts in Hollywood and be so in with Rebellion that your script is on the top of their pile, but you are a complete arse. Unlike you I have spoken to three of the above parties and know which of them I choose to believe. As you said " If what Lippincott says is true, I was right and you lot are wrong " if what he said was true, or that?s his side of the argument, but I've known John and Alan for a number of years and do not know Lippincott, but he produced a movie that most people here will agree sucked, Wagner and Grant choose not to give him any ideas, so who lost out?

Lippincott says that, you say that, but some people here who have actually been through the full process disagreed with you, again I know that person, again I think you are a complete arse and again know out of the two of you who's opinion I'd actually listen to.

>I may act stupid here but I am not. And if you think I am making this up, email me at scojo@onetel.net.uk and I will scan and email you this interview.

Scojo for once I don't think you are making it up and its very thorough of you to go and dig out the 2nd issue of SFX to back up your tedious arguments, but Lippincott's statement doesn't win you the argument, if that what it was, I thought this was the 2000AD message board, but because not everyone here agrees with you or your bloody cat you continually try to prove how important you are to this board. And if you want to e-mail me directly at home to prove how right you were "scojo cleverer than loagn" please at least spell my name right.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Thread Zero

Oh you would say that.

Face it, you know I am right on this one and you can't admit it!!!!

Ha ha ha.

I still say if you are an unknown screenwriter, Hollywood isn't going to bend over backwards and kiss your botty and pay you for a treatment. You gotta earn their kisses.

Hence my thread.

Why am I a twit? You are the twity for not writing a Dredd screenplay and loving Logan.

Milo, u silly moo.

scojo

Thread Zero

Oh lognan listen u moo face shooshi lover I am right on this.

Ha ha ha.

Well I am going now forever cos u r well rude to me.

And I am never ever ever coming back.

Bye Logna.

scojo out

GordonR

>Well I am going now forever cos u r well rude to >me.
>
>And I am never ever ever coming back.

And, of course, being the highly credible character that you are, we _really_ believe that...

Thread Zero

Leigh S

Hmmmm...

Isn't it well rude to demand an apology where one isn't needed?

No-one is disputing the facts here, but there is also a crucial part missing -

Lippincott says we don't pay anyone. Scojo says that's fair and Wagner and Grant were greedy.

However, Grant was very aware that the film makers could take their idea and use it without paying them a penny, so long as they changed it marginally - therefore, they did not want to be ripped off.  I doubt they were asking the sky for their treatment and in a sense they were 'famous' writers.  The Dredd script had baffled a huge number of Hollywood scriptwriters (who I'm sure got someting for their efforts), so to pay a few thousand to the only two people on Earth who were likely to be able to pull it off is peanuts, especially when compared to the millions given to Stallone.

To me, the blame lies squarely here with the arrogance of the Film bods.  If they were any good at their job, they would have realised the cinematic quality in Wagner's writing anyway.  If you buy the rights to something, it should be because you believe in the quality of the material (and therefore the creators of that material), not as a coating for a generic action flick.  

My big concern is why Shoreline or Rebellion haven't approached Wagner and grant about this treatment - AFAIK it's still locked away in a bank vault somewhere.

Anemic_Newt

Scojo, Scojo, Scojo....
When I first wandered in here a few months ago I did have some respect for you - you seemed to know your stuff about 2k, and opinions that on the whole seemed to match my own.
The more you have gone and on about this the more I have come to realise you are a complete arsehead.
The way you have treated others here on the board is disgusting and shows your behaviour to be somewhere in line with the kids I teach who get sent to the special unit because they can't even sit down on a chair quietly without help.

So far I have kept quiet on the pure drivel you have spouted in the last few days, but your most recent stuff even I could stay quiet no longer.

This board is on the official 2000AD site to encourrage fans to discuss 2000AD related issues. You however don't discuss, you just rant, and when wrong throw a tantrum. It has got so embarrassing you must be putting people off from coming here because they don't want to seem to be as immature as you.

For once keep to your word "never coming back." Just go, don't look back, just go away, your drivel takes too long to read and is utterly pointless.

Yes go, go on don't feel tempted to turn back just go.

Whilst I am in favor of free speech - you are a superb example of why sometimes peole should be censored.

Thread Zero

Anemic Newt,
How strange that someone so friendly as you, can be so false.

With acting skills like that you should be in a soap.

As one of the few people here who has actually bothered to read 2k continuously and not stop when it got bad, I have as much right to be here as you.

Drivel?

Because I say John Wagner and Alan Grant are childish and don't know the first thing about how to approach writing a screenplay, you criticize me?

Listen, I may be immature but even I, as someone yet to sell a screenplay, knows YOU DO NOT DEMAND PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IF YOU ARE JUST A COMICS WRITER.

Now that is childish behaviour.

I'm sorry if that offends people here but I for one am passionate about any future Dredd film and want it to be made to a high standard.

You, Milo or Logan can attack me all you like but Wagner should write a screenplay for FREE. Yes FREE then submit it.

But because we do live in a mercenary world, that is not going to be the case.

As I say the truth may hurt but it is still the truth.

And as I have written a screenplay, I feel I am entitled to that opinion.

scojo

Anemic_Newt

Scojo,
Told you in the chat room I was evil!

anyway you havn't added anything new - just continued your rant - Case closed!

Thread Zero

Watcher,

I feel you are wrong about the arrogance of the film bods.
The rights ( I presume) would be with Lippincott so Wagner and Grant would have limited legal redress if they thought their material had been plagiarized.

Again, this is pretty obvious when writing a screenplay based on material you do not own.

Dredd does not belong to Wagner now or in 1995. So you cannot be expected to be paid for writing a screenplay even if you are Wagner.

It really is that clear cut.

scojo