Main Menu

Meg 411 - Primate Savagery

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 21 August, 2019, 09:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Got mine but I seem to be in a weird place with the Meg lately - I flick through, realise that I can't remember the last issue and put it to one side for a thorough read-through ... and then the next one arrives. I'm now several months behind in my Meg-reading. Lots of "part three"s in this one, but I haven't read the first two parts yet.

Frank

Anyone interested in comics, and early 2000ad in particular, needs to read this issue's interview with Nick Landau. That guy should write a book.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Dandontdare on 21 August, 2019, 09:48:04 AM
Got mine but I seem to be in a weird place with the Meg lately - I flick through, realise that I can't remember the last issue and put it to one side for a thorough read-through ... and then the next one arrives.

That was why I stopped buying the Meg (well, that and bloody Tank Girl). I used to find the monthly installments killed dead any momentum of 6- or 8-part stories, so I'd put the issues aside thinking 'I'll wait until it's complete and then re-read the whole thing' ...and never would.
@jamesfeistdraws

Proudhuff

Got mine on Monday and working my way through it:
Striking cover.

Dredd: The Red Queen charges along nicely, some creative layouts and, once you get passed the Joey Ramone proportioned Dredd, good storytelling artwork.

De Marco: Interesting Noir feel it the story and I'm a fan of B&W artwork, but this could be set anywhere anytime, not feeling a MC1 vibe here and a bit more show not tell would help as there's an over abundance of (straight on) talking head shots. IMHO

Diamond Dogs who know? not me... so similar in many ways to De Marco: Noir feel it the story , but this could be set anywhere anytime, not feeling a Britcit vibe here and a bit more show not tell would help as there's an over abundance of (straight on) talking head shots. IMHO

Nick Landau interview interesting and respectful of his co-workers t the time, which isn't everyone version!

Interrogation: Doug Braithwaite, a pitch to TMO for work?

Returners: Interesting art and colours, and good to see a team story again, however this could be set anywhere anytime, not feeling a Barranquilla vibe here and a bit more show not tell would help as there's an over abundance of (straight on) talking head/skull shots. IMHO

Karl Stock strikes again, doing a promo/background on Rebellion's The Vigilant, out this week folks!

Anderson: Nice outing to the Cursed Earth Psi Hotdawg Run, but again as discussed elsewhere, what does Cass bring to this picnic (at hanging rock) and the Prog in general? So far it could be Dredd in charge, hoping we're not in for the standard kidnap story here.

Ad for Defoe and a peek at Moore's Defoe artwork.... Floppie is Defoe too.
No Dreddlines

That is all, now lets be careful out there.

DDT did a job on me

Frank

Quote from: Proudhuff on 21 August, 2019, 11:43:18 AM
Nick Landau interview interesting and respectful of his co-workers t the time, which isn't everyone version!

Multi-millionaires can afford to be chill and magnanimous. I don't think I've previously read the detail that Gosnell had basically subcontracted the Dredd strip to Landau, which explains (i) the sudden ubiquity of his pal, Bolland.

Interesting observation about Anderson; it hadn't occurred to me that this, like the most recent 2000ad stories, teams Granderson with substitute leads who do all the heavy lifting. I suppose it's just a relief to be able to tell what's going on.

This has four more pages to play with than the 2000ad version, but even if you'd split this episode in half it'd still read more smoothly than the prog story. This is mince and tatties stuff, which maybe matches the beats of The Hotdog Run (ii) a little too closely.

(i) There's Bolland's incredible, unique talent and obvious star potential, too. I suppose that had something to do with it, maybe

(ii) Cadets screw up lookout duty and lifting the body of a slain Cursed Earth bushwhacker

broodblik

The meg is not in a bad space currently. All the stories I do enjoy.  Yes, some of them might not be the strong as others but still they all are readable. Yes, when Lawless was running the meg was on superior form. This is run we have a different beast.

Dredd is just excellent for me. I could never get into Lynch art, but I must say that I am a fan of his work now.

Anderson in the Meg I find to be more enjoyable/readable than the prog version. The story is helped by Goddard's art (which I always find as very good).
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Another thing part of the floppie is a Mind Wars story from Starlord Annual 1981
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Decent Meg, not as good as it has been but decent enough.

Dredd looks fantastic and the story is fine, if not as strong as the one's that have lead to this point. Lets see how it lands.

I find DeMarco just a bit bland and flat if I'm honest. Diamond Dogs I'm running hot and cold on, enjoyed last weeks, this weeks felt a little ... well flat as well. Lets see. At least we have Returners and this one has found its stride and I'm really enjoying it.

Star of the show though... well almost ... is Anderson. A really strong second episode which bristles and shines with tension and excitment. Loved the ending and the art, even with my typical Anderson should look older grip, is fantastic.

Star of the show might be the fantastic Nick Landau interview. While for obvious reasons it focused on Dredd I'd love to here more about the foundation of Forbidden Planet and the surrounding stuff. You get the feel there's tales to be told there. Otehr text matter is fine . The biggest problem is that the floppie has once again reprinted something from only a few years ago. Wish they'd delve into the archieve more but maybe more and more of that stuff is being saved for other formats. Who know.

Proudhuff

The Defoe is timely, given its return next week and like so much of Pat's work reads well collected. While a load of older stuff is by its nature episodic and quite repetitive when read in a oner. I imagine there's a lot less work involved in collating recent works to, given everything that needs to be done to bring old physical art up to scratch.
DDT did a job on me

broodblik

I do not think Defoe returns next week but only in prog 2150 alongside Brink, Deadworld and Hope

Proudhuff

sorry , my bad... you're right its the jump on prog... that ad in the Megazine turned my head!!
DDT did a job on me

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 21 August, 2019, 10:13:20 AM
Got mine but I seem to be in a weird place with the Meg lately - I flick through, realise that I can't remember the last issue and put it to one side for a thorough read-through ... and then the next one arrives.

That was why I stopped buying the Meg (well, that and bloody Tank Girl). I used to find the monthly installments killed dead any momentum of 6- or 8-part stories, so I'd put the issues aside thinking 'I'll wait until it's complete and then re-read the whole thing' ...and never would.

Similar for me, although I do read it every month I have trouble following a lot of the stories when they're broken up monthly so I usually have a quick read with the plan to read the full stories once they're done, but never get round to it.

I still feel pretty invested in the Dredd and Anderson stuff (those were cool this month) and I find Returners pretty intriguing (even if I'm having trouble remembering what's happening and who is who from month to month). Diamond Dogs and Demarco are enjoyable enough too, but yeah overall I just struggle to stay as engaged with it as with the prog these days.

Glad the floppy is Defoe, love a bit of that and nice to revisit some of it before the new series.

Bolt-01

How good is Patrick Goddard on Anderson? This is stunning work (which I know is to be expected but flippi-neck these pages are a treat)

Zenith 666

Got mine but I seem to be in a weird place with the Meg lately - I flick through, realise that I can't remember the last issue and put it to one side for a thorough read-through ... and then the next one arrives. I'm now several months behind in my Meg-reading. Lots of "part three"s in this one, but I haven't read the first two parts yet.

I dont read the meg during the year anymore I just wait till christmas when I've some time off and devour them over a couple of days.