Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

The Spartacus comparison is spot on but I felt the film embraced its own silliness in the same way rather than being hamstrung by it.
We never really die.

Professor Bear

400 Days - which I came to cold, so probably wasn't second-guessing it like pretty much anyone who knows the basic setup would be doing: four trainee astronauts are locked in an underground simulator for the duration of a flight from Earth to Mars in order to gauge how real astronauts might fare under long-term pressure, with the simulation including "curveballs" at random intervals.  You can probably guess where things go from there, but it plays it out well, and my main takeaway was this was the film most people probably thought they were going to see when they paid for a ticket for Cloverfield Lane.  I enjoyed it, but the amount of actors from DC superhero shows took me out of things now and then.

Steve Green

Last Days on Mars.

Directed by Ruari Robinson who has made a couple of interesting 2000AD-ish shorts (Blinky, Silent City - which is reminiscent of an old future shock (or the Metal Hurlant story it was cribbed from))

Squeezes a lot out of the £7m budget.

Hits a lot of familiar notes, but it will be interesting to see how his Moby Dick in space turns out (I'm guessing it's not going to involve Spurrieresque whalesex)

Michael Knight

I quite enjoyed Last days On Mars. Personally I enjoyed it more than The Martian!  :)

Satanist

London Has Fallen - Its got Gerard Butler in it so you know its gonna be shit before you see it but did you know its really, really shit? Well you do now. Shockingly bad CGI which is only surpassed by its total lack of self awareness.

Team America, fuck no!

Civil War - Its alright but starting to feel like money for old rope at this stage.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

von Boom

Quote from: Satanist on 16 May, 2016, 01:40:36 PM
London Has Fallen - Its got Gerard Butler in it so you know its gonna be shit before you see it but did you know its really, really shit? Well you do now. Shockingly bad CGI which is only surpassed by its total lack of self awareness.

What does that say about the Point Break reboot. Butler dropped out of that one because even he thought it was utter shite.

Theblazeuk

I enjoyed Cap 3 Civil War - superhero fights with a bit of fun and emotion. Much better than the comic of the same name as Tony Stark didn't have to become Dr Doom for the sake of the story. Bit of a fizzle ending and overly long at the beginning, but a really good Avengers movie. Much better than Age of Ultron (sadly, I love Ultron as a bad guy), not as good as Winter Soldier.

Tiplodocus

APRIL 9th.

No not about my little brother's birthday or my dad's funeral but the German invasion of Denmark in World War II.

I know nothing about what actually happens but it all seems to be rendered believably enough up on screen and you warm to some of the stiff upper lip type performances quite quickly.

Bicycle rifle platoons vs. Panzers (even little Panzer IIs) provides an appropriate visual metaphor as well.

Finishes with a really cracking and tense bit of street fighting (where despite everyone being in uniform and in similar looking streets, you can tell what is going on because teh writer and director take a minute or two to give you the lay of the land and who is positioned where)  and an even tenser moment of [spoiler]surrender/capitulation[/spoiler].

Some of it is terribly on the nose though - you can almost tell who is going to die through cliched dialogue.

But worth a watch.

And one I would add to my World War II in chronological order marathon I plan to do one year (that would be a good Buttonman challenge).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

As opposed to STALINGRAD.

This is the recent russian film not  the nineties german effort (apparently the first flirtation with IMAX) and while it looks lush, it really is fucking pants.

Sorry, I mean...

Stalingrad? More like Shitingrad.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

radiator

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 April, 2016, 02:07:08 PM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 27 April, 2016, 01:57:23 PM
I don't know if I'd have bothered with The Jungle Book necessarily but the mentions here led me to check it out

Yes, absolutely. I made a special effort to catch it specifically because of the good word of mouth here, coming on the back of an engaging trailer at an earlier cinema visit (plus generally being well-disposed towards Favreau as a film-maker).

Well done, forum!

Cheers

Jim

Aw, that's great to hear! Glad I helped to sway a few people to see it - it really is a film that deserves to be seen on the big screen.

Michael Knight

Terminator Genisys! I love all the terminator films and the Sarah Connor Chronicles tv series but God i found this latest entry truly dire. Sure there some good scenes but felt they have ruined the terminator franchise with this latest entry. Really found the actors portraying kyle reese and sarah connor to be totally miscast. Arnie was good and made best of poor script. Just my opinion

JamesC

The Terminator seems to be suffering the same fate as the Aliens and Predator at the moment. Multiple failed attempts at reinvigorating that franchise.
Terminator 1,2 and the SC Chronicles were all ace. I thought Salvation and Genisys were fairly fun action films but ultimately not up to scratch, with 3 being the worst in my opinion.

Professor Bear

I have to admit that going in, I expected the Point Break remake might be bad in that way modern movies are when they're a little too long for a three-act structure or weighed down by scenes or incomplete character arcs - you know, the kind of bad that comes simply from things not coming together as a singular work, in that they're maybe not "bad" per se so much as failed?  Well, Point Break is actual bad.
Point Break is a movie for people who watch Entourage and don't know it's a comedy.  It is a movie for people who don't watch Fast & Furious movies because they don't take themselves seriously enough.  Point Break is a terrible film that will make you wish that every single self-involved douchebag character's personality had a face so that you could punch it in the balls.

Michael Knight

Professor Bear im cracking up with those comments mate! Wont be buying the dvd then?  :lol:

HdE

Missed the first half hour, but saw the rest of The Martian, which I bought a little while back as a gift for my dad.

Thought it was absolutely great! Unusual to see Kristen Wiig in a straight role, and I thought the acting  was superb across the board. Superbly written as well. I think I'm going to have to watch this again soon.

Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/