Main Menu

Favourite CLASSIC art droid Round 1 - John Cooper or Dave Gibbons

Started by Colin YNWA, 13 November, 2020, 06:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 13 November, 2020, 09:57:27 AM
Defo see that point, but look at his work in Battle - its superb and seems entirely in place there in a way that I don't think it fits quite so well in Tooth.

Which might actually speak to you point come to think of it!

Thing is, as you have said yourself, this is the work for Tharg tournament and so Battle is out of scope. And I'm not a Battle reader (apart from specials as part of the bundle) and so have no idea what his work on strips in that particular comic are like. For me he was the guy that wasn't Bolland, McMahon, Ron Smith or Ian Gibbson on Dredd when I first started reading the Prog. It was like a Val Doonican song thrown into the middle of a Sex Pistols gig.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 November, 2020, 10:29:34 AM
Cooper was a treasure, but despite Armitage the work of his I liked best was outside of 2000AD: One-Eyed Jack was just a great strip in all of its many homes (which I'm not allowed to take into consideration).

Gibbons likewise makes the biggest splash in a larger pond, but I could go on for hours about the genius of his Ro-Busters and Rogue Trooper, even Dr. Dibworthy. But I won't, because one strip is enough to earn my vote here: Chronocops. This was like nothing I'd ever seen, it looked like a Mad Magazine strip but you could read it over and over again and see something new every time.  And I'd never even heard of Dragnet!

So Dave Gibbons it is.

All of the above.  I also loved the Tor Cyan strip he did, where [spoiler]the war was revealed to be long over and the pollution cleared from Nu Earth.[/spoiler]  It was very touching, and it was a real shame that John Tomlinson trashed the place again in later Tor Cyan strips.

But yeah, Gibbons.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

TordelBack

Quote from: Funt Solo on 13 November, 2020, 02:51:30 PM
Dave Gibbons for the first episode of Rogue Trooper.

A truly extraordinary piece of work. I don't think I saw it until it appeared in Best of 2000AD, my Rogue had been Ewins, Wilson and Kennedy (gods to a man, don't get me wrong), and it just blew me away. Vies with Sláine, and maybe Shakara, for the most perfect first episode.

abelardsnazz

DrJomster

The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Magnetica

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 November, 2020, 04:05:02 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 13 November, 2020, 02:51:30 PM
Dave Gibbons for the first episode of Rogue Trooper.

A truly extraordinary piece of work. I don't think I saw it until it appeared in Best of 2000AD, my Rogue had been Ewins, Wilson and Kennedy (gods to a man, don't get me wrong), and it just blew me away. Vies with Sláine, and maybe Shakara, for the most perfect first episode.

Slaine or Nemesis for me.

TordelBack

I did think of Nemesis, but because it wasn't really written as a first episode of a series I put it to one side... But yeah, it's right up there.

Dandontdare

Dave Gibbons was a huge part of my early love for 2000ad, clear choice

Colin YNWA

You know the drill. Pop your vote in today as I'll be counting up in the morning, even if this one seems pretty cut and dry.

Daveycandlish

Oh lor', this is the hardest vote yet! I absolutely love John Cooper (I have some original art) but on 2000AD work alone, I'm (begrudgingly) plumping for Gibbons.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Colin YNWA

Voting closed

No surprise here as

Dave Gibbons

Gets the votes to easily carry him through to the second round.