Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: Frank on 17 October, 2019, 07:03:17 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 17 October, 2019, 06:48:20 PM
In gaming news, Blizzard fail to recognize that they've modeled their logic on the totalitarian government of the novel 1984. The controversy (in case you missed it) is that they banned a competition player (Blitzchung) for saying a slogan about the Hong Kong situation. He said: "Liberate Hong Kong, revolution of our time".

But Blizzard's response is some of the finest double-think you could drum up. Try to get your head around it:

QuoteEvery Voice Matters, and we strongly encourage everyone in our community to share their viewpoints in the many places available to express themselves. However, the official broadcast needs to be about the tournament and to be a place where all are welcome.

I read this as "Because every voice matters, you must not make any statements." Or "Someone somewhere may be offended, so we can ban you for saying anything and then later say you broke the rules." Or "Your voice is important, but not here."

The NBA are going through the same thing. There's just too much money in China to make pissing them off viable.

It's Xi Jinping's world; we just live in it.

A South Park episode which got the show banned in China has been screened on the streets of Hong Kong in protest.

The show's recent season 23 episode Band In China, which explores how Hollywood shapes its content to avoid offending Chinese government censors, led to South Park being completely removed from the Chinese internet.

Following attention around the episode, pictures have been shared on social media of Band In China being shown on a projector screen in Hong Kong's Sham Shui Po district. It's unclear who set up the screening.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone are nearing what's likely to be a rich deal for the streaming rights to South Park.

Numerous companies are bidding for exclusive U.S. streaming rights to the full library, with sources confirming to The Hollywood Reporter the potential price tag of up to $500 million.

The eye-popping deal offers a considerable windfall for the show's creators, who had previously negotiated "points" in the series. Parker and Stone created South Park while in college together at the University of Colorado Boulder.  LINK & LINK

JayzusB.Christ

I'd forgotten all about South Park.  Time to start watching again.

In unrelated news (in the spirit of the thread title), does anyone remember when John Constantine became a down-and-out alcoholic vagrant?  Then, when he changed his mind, he went home again. To the apartment he had owned all along, but simply chose not to sleep in  in favour of doorways and concrete pipes.  When I was homeless a few years ago I slept on mates' sofas and spare rooms for a few months, but now I'm thinking maybe I own a flat sonewhere that I've forgotten all about.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Tjm86

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 October, 2019, 12:13:14 PM
.... does anyone remember when John Constantine became a down-and-out alcoholic vagrant?  Then, when he changed his mind, he went home again. To the apartment he had owned all along, but simply chose not to sleep in  in favour of doorways and concrete pipes.  ....

This was part of the Ennis / Dillon run around about issue 60 to 80.  Just after Ennis and Will Simpson's run (which includes for me the all time classic Hellblazer episode in which he cons the devil to save a friend's soul).  He had the breakdown after the breakup with his then girlfriend after a particularly nasty piece of work.

I think Ennis got Constantine far better than any other writer.  He had the balance of complete and utter bar-steward / conman and flawed hero in search of redemption down pat.  Of course it did help that he had some of the best artists to grace the title on his run (Simpson and Dillon).  Plus he was far more nuanced in his approach than he was with Preacher (enjoyable in its own way but also a bit puerile in places).

JayzusB.Christ

Well, I'm not saying I didn't like Garth on Hellblazer.  And yeah, it holds up way better than Preacher in my opinion.  It's just that particular bit, his instant transformation from drunken bum back to streetwise wideboy, that made me scratch my chin a bit.

I only recently read the spinoff series about Kit's life in Belfast - quite brave of both him and Vertigo to do a comic on a minor supporting character without magic, mysticism, violence, sci fi or fantasy.  And it was great; sort of a female-fronted Irish Auf Weidersehn Pet / Rock and Chips vibe. Who would have thought the Americans would go for it?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Studying color theory I was surprised to learn how often blue and orange is used:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Complementary colours, innit. I remember reading an article  (probably on Cracked) about the absolute tsunami of orange-and-teak films these days, and I haven't not been able to notice it since.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Funt Solo on 20 October, 2019, 07:03:04 PM
Studying color theory I was surprised to learn how often blue and orange is used:

Teal and Orange

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2nPaGYkQSs

Frank

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 October, 2019, 08:35:39 PM
Complementary colours, innit.

Truth, but that doesn't explain why we aren't inundated with green-red or yellow-purple Netflix thumbnails, too.

People reasonably point out that most box/poster art is going to feature the (Caucasian) faces of the stars, and orange is a close approximation to (Californian) flesh.

I'd add conservatism and herding. If a film tanks, nobody wants to be the guy who takes the blame for putting a cane toad Dwayne Johnson against a lavender backdrop.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Frank on 20 October, 2019, 09:01:29 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 October, 2019, 08:35:39 PM
Complementary colours, innit.

People reasonably point out that most box/poster art is going to feature the (Caucasian) faces of the stars, and orange is a close approximation to (Californian) flesh.

It's not quite true, though. It's not colour changes but light that is the problem with different skintones. Similar colour adjustments can work for both caucasian and darker skin because most skin tones fall into the midtones of the tonal curve. This is why there's a single skin-tone-line on a Vector scope – all human skin tones fall on that line within a small range. Darker and lighter skin tones are nearly the same hue, the differences are mostly variations in level and saturation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArjLBRxudQs&t=2m47s

JayzusB.Christ

Teal, not teak!  :-[  And me supposedly a painter.

Proudhuff

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 October, 2019, 01:31:50 PM
Well, I'm not saying I didn't like Garth on Hellblazer.  And yeah, it holds up way better than Preacher in my opinion.  It's just that particular bit, his instant transformation from drunken bum back to streetwise wideboy, that made me scratch my chin a bit.

He spoke about this at the Lakes and how he grow to dislike Constantine as he was such a shit: 'here I'll do you a favour... and in return I'll wreck your life'  paraphrasing here
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

That's a solid take on John - how long can you keep chronicling a guy whose m.o. boils down to making new friends, using them and then getting them killed (worse again if you're family  - eternal damnation beckons). That final Milligan run where in short order he ruined (or ended) the lives of Phoebe, Epiphany and Gemma...  Ouch.   It's more depressing than writing vacation ideas for Jessica Fletcher!

(Not that I don't love Hellblazer - a complete re-read a few years ago was really satisfying,  barring a few wobbles).

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Proudhuff on 22 October, 2019, 04:12:06 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 October, 2019, 01:31:50 PM

He spoke about this at the Lakes and how he grow to dislike Constantine as he was such a shit: 'here I'll do you a favour... and in return I'll wreck your life'  paraphrasing here

Odd, though, that he seemed to view the boorish, self-important bully Jesse Custer as some kind of god amongst men.  At least John is supposed to be a wanker.

I suppose it's a bit like how baffled I was that Ayn Rand expected me to admire her misanthropic rapist and shit architect character Howard Roarke - one man's (or woman's) noble hero is another's overbearing pain in the arse.

TordelBack

ChristJayzusB, there's threadjacking and then there's mentioning Ayn Rand!

JayzusB.Christ

I'll mention Scojo in a minute if you're not careful.