Main Menu

Elden Ring

Started by Link Prime, 08 March, 2022, 08:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Preface; I didn't even hear about this game until 2 days before it was released.
Shortly after it was released I received dozens of excited Whatsapp messages and PS screenshots showing me exactly what I was missing.
So yes, I am an unashamed bandwagon jumper.

I purchased the "Day One" edition for PS5 forthwith, and booted it up last weekend.
Not to bury the lede; yes, it is as good as the hype machine would have you believe.

I am not a Dark Souls fan - I only ever bothered with the remaster of the first game on Switch, and the clunky controls put me off more than the legendary difficulty.
Elden Ring is in much the same vein as Dark Souls, but fans of Skyrim and Zelda: Breath of the Wild will find some stylistic comforts too.
Graphics and designs are stunning.

Yes, it is rock hard, but that just makes progression all the more satisfying.
I've spent my first few days just avoiding enemies (or fleeing from them) as much as possible in an attempt to find Sites of Grace / maps as far and wide as possible to enable fast travel and positions of convenient resurrection when needed.

I've put off fighting the first main boss Margit, the Fell Omen until now, but will give it a shot this evening.

Anyone else playing it? 

The Enigmatic Dr X

I fail to see the appeal of a game that confuses malice for difficulty.
Lock up your spoons!

CalHab

I had a go at one of the Dark Souls games a while ago. It wasn't for me. Storyline and character is a big thing for me in RPGs, and it doesn't really do them. The difficulty also meant that I couldn't just pick it up and play it, which doesn't suit the way I can play games at the moment. Elden Ring just looks like more of the same from what I've read.

Barrington Boots

Same really, Dark Souls wasn't for me at all and it's put me off even trying Elden Ring. It looks pretty stunning graphically.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Link Prime

I hear ya lads, and agree RE the Dark Souls series of games.

However, I am day 4 into this, and have to say having a blast.
I've dispatched a few minor bosses at this stage after leveling up and improving my sword - feeling a little less of a soft target as the game progresses.

I know what's ahead difficulty-wise though, having stumbled in the Caelid ("Hell on Earth") region - grim.

Angry Vince

I play a fair bit of RPG's - the Elder Scrolls series, Fallout etc and thought I'd give Elden Ring a try...

Went in with low expectations and warnings from friends...

Created a character and played the first ten minutes...

Nope. Uninstall, delete saves and get a refund. Not a fan of that at all.

I like a good RPG, but I have not time for difficult for the sake of difficult.
Angry Vince: One Man Against the World! (So far the world is winning 96:0)

Satanist

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 08 March, 2022, 11:22:03 PM
I fail to see the appeal of a game that confuses me with how to equip weapons.

:P

I am LOVING this game. Its HUGE and just when you think the map cant get any larger it does.

3 Shardbearers downed!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Link Prime

Quote from: Satanist on 14 March, 2022, 02:12:25 PM

I am LOVING this game.

Good man Satanist!

Yeah, the map evolution is ridiculous - I've just added the Altus Plateau region to my map - it's now impossible to fit the full map on-screen when zoomed out.

I've only killed one Shard-bearer and a few dragons so far, but have reached level 65 through blind exploration.
Hopelessly addicted to this game.

Link Prime

I reached the area after the Fire Giant battle yesterday evening that I assume is the "point of no return" for the endgame.
I was reluctant to continue as there was still so much left to discover, so went back at a few barely explored areas.
Got my ass handed to me 40+ times by the Valiant Gargoyle twin bosses.
For context, I'm at Level 108 and have the Mimic Tear.

Soul crushing, but I still refuse to Google a cheese.

The Doctor Alt 8

Want to play Elden Ring /Dark souls but can't afford the price?

Get these cheaper alternatives from Steam!

https://youtu.be/9KARY5ocvKo?t=344