Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Something Fishy

any old fans of wrestling from the 80's will know of The American Dream Dusty Rhodes who has sadly died today.  RIP.

ThryllSeekyr

Christopher Lee now, I read it first here.

So I don't know much about it except that he did seem very old and I glad to see fulfil his last roles as Saruman of the White or Many Colours.

Not sure what else he was in lately except the other part he played as Count Duku in the earlier Star Wars films.

I'm as sorry to see he expire as I would be towards any other celebrity I don't personally know.

The original Lord of Misrule

rogue69

wrestler Virgil Runnels aka "the American dream" Dusty Rhodes aged 69

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

blackmocco

The.mighty James Horner, composer of the scores for Aliens, Wrath of Khan and Titanic. I'll throw Krull in there too.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Keef Monkey

Sad news indeed, a tragic loss of one of the real greats.

Goaty

What is scores? songs or background music for film scenes? like that Jaws shark music?

Steve Green

More background music, but not necessarily exclusively so, it depends on the film.

Background music is doing it a disservice though, it can be as much a character as an actor.

RIP James Horner.

Professor Bear

A good movie score is part of the sense memory, Goaty, like the smell of Bacon cooking is a part of the experience of eating it.  I can't picture matinee staple Battle Beyond the Stars without Horner's bouncy Trek-tinged theme, and I know many people who to this day can't hear the 20th Century Fox anthem at the start of a movie without thinking of Star Wars.

RIP James Horner.

Dark Jimbo

Aye, when I think back on all my favourite films/tv series I can't remember the exact dialogue or every last scene, but the music stays with you long afterward, and just one or two notes of a good score can re-spark all the emotions I felt the first time I watched.

Every time I've been to see Mad Max I walked home madly drumming that key bit of the theme on my legs.  :lol:
@jamesfeistdraws

Daveycandlish

John Steed himself, Patrick Macnee, has died at the grand age of 93

He was great
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

von Boom

Terrible news about Patrick Macnee. RIP.

hippynumber1

I got the news about this literally 2 minutes after we'd watched 'Silent Dust' from series 3. Black and white with Mrs Peel - classic era British TV. I shall savour the rest of the series even more now...  :'(

Heath C Ackley

I love the Avengers, best 60s tv adventure show by far. McNee was a great actor and the played the unruffled, cool and quintessent Englishman to a tee.
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

sheridan

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 25 June, 2015, 07:38:26 PMJohn Steed himself, Patrick Macnee, has died at the grand age of 93

He was great
I was watching Battlestar Galactica just the other day (the 1970s version, otherwise I wouldn't be mentioning it now)...