Main Menu

Can someone explain something to me...

Started by Nice Tom, 24 August, 2002, 06:47:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nice Tom

I'm a relative newcomer to 2000AD (I started in January). Thanks to 'Judge Dredd: The Mega-History', I have a basic idea of Dredd's chronology up to 1995, but there's a few things bothering me still:
1. I've read a couple of strips featuring Rico- I thought he was dead, wasn't he?
2. What was 'Mechanismo'? I saw a reference to it in an old Megazine which suggested that it was going to be a massive epic.
3. In the same issue, there was part of a story set in 1994 and called, I think, 'Armageddon: The Bad Man'. I have found no reference to this anywhere else and what I read was just confusing. Can someone explain what this strip was about, what became of it, what happened at the end etc?
4. Did Judge Joyce appear again after 'Emerald Isle'?

Buddy

The current Rico is a clone taken from the same stock as Dredd and the original Rico (I think, someone comfirm this please).

Mechanismo was a project instigated by Chief Judge McGruder(?) where robot Judges would work along side a depleted Judge force. Needless to sat it all went horribley wrong.

The Bad Man was the first in what was to be a definitive hostory of Mega City One, charting the introduction of Judges etc... After The Bad Man we have had no other stories, so it's a bit of a dissapointment really as I was looking forward to it!!

Judge Joice was a creation of writer Garth Ennis and we don't really talk about his contribution to Dredds world.

Link: http://www.ximoc.co.uk" target="_blank">http://www.ximoc.co.uk

Smiley

and we don't really talk about his contribution to Dredds world.

We never get time! As soon as Ennis' Dredd is mentioned, we quickly descend into slagging off Millar's or McKenzie's Dredd instead. Heh-Heh! ;)

Link: http://www.2000adonline.com/index.php3?zone=thrill&page=profiles&choice=joyce" target="_blank">Judge Joyce

Devons Daddy

now few things you may want to know.
 such as

We never get time! As soon as Ennis' Dredd is mentioned, we quickly descend into slagging off Millar's or McKenzie's Dredd instead. Heh-Heh! ;)

as you are new here and to tooth, you may well wonder whats that all about, well we are from gronk DNA stock,(aliens who are loveable but have acid for saliva,)  
and sometimes we like to spit acid bile when posting, we are also all closet simps.
weird and wonderful people who share the thrill power of 2000ad and actaully have a life separate from here, though you would not think so.we where our icons with pride here,

we will answer any questions, there are some very senior poeple on this board, who actaully work for and towards our weekly dose of thrills.

wake is in charge and trout hes the king
im Head chef and several others have titles,
in fact crazy chrissy is a princess,.

i hope you enjoy our company,as for the questions you raised im sure many others will answer in detail,

im Devons Daddy. and i like it here.
im chief food taster for HRH trout you know,
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Tu-plang

Rico

The original Rico was Dredd's clonebrother, as you probably know.  A few years ago a rookie graduated from the academy, who happened to be a clone made from Dredd's stock nearly 20 years ago (the story 'Dredd Angel').  He adopted the name Rico when Joe told him the story of the original Rico and the clone decided that the name 'needed another chance'.

No-one's quite sure if the clone was intended as a replacement for Joe or not, as he is getting on a bit, nearly 60 I think.

W. R. Logan

>The current Rico is a clone taken from the same stock as Dredd and the original Rico (I think, someone comfirm this please).

Dredd, Rico (MK1), Kraken were all clones of Fargo, the firsdt Cheif Judge, Rico (MK2) is a clone of Dredd.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

CowboyJinglyBits

1)  The first Rico was a clone of Fargo and so was Dredds 'brother'.  If youve read the megahistory you know he went rotten and dredd hadto put him down.  20 years later dredd finds out there are seven clones of himself being traned as rookies in megacity1.  he takes one of them through his final street test while explaining the story of rico #1, kraken, fargo etc.  after passing the test, the young rookie decided the name 'rico' deserved another chance.  people think rico might eventually replace dredd in the same way that kraken almost did because old stoneys getting on a bit.
2) Mechanismo was a project to create robot judges started by chief judge McGruder.  It all went tits up but dredd falisifed evidence to make the robots look defective (he doesn't like robots).  He was found out and sent to titan for his crimes.  on the way the mechanismo robots really DID go mental and dredd surprise surprise saved the day.
3) Arageddon the bad man was supposed to be part of a series describing how the judges came to be but it faltered and died early on.
4) Judge Joyce did appear again a couple of times, being the only member of dredd's crack team other than JD who servived judgement day.  But its all Ennis so nobody really cares.

almighty mat

I'm probably going out on a limb here, not to mention setting myself up for a virtual rumble, but I like some of the Ennis Dredd. I know that there's loads of tosh and filler, but there was some good stuff too. Anyone else?

Slippery PD

I could be wrong, but werent the Dredd clones sent out to other mega-cities, Rico (IIRC) was in texas cit.  They were recalled after Doomsday, due to lack of active Judges.  So there may be seven little dredds out there?!?!?!?!

O Lucky Stevie!

as logan can no doubt confirm, not all of them were dredd clones, royal.

i've wet my knickers!
steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

W. R. Logan

>as logan can no doubt confirm, not all of them were dredd clones

Think I'll have to put somne of my longer replies on file, Dredd's age, Rico (Mk2) origin and such like, I'll dig up the last reply I gave and post it at some point.

For all those reading this on the web find below the first cover appearance of Rico (MK2).

La PLaca Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Link: http://www.2000adonline.com/index.php3?zone=thrill&page=profiles&choice=RICO" target="_blank">Rico

http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/mediumres/382.jpg">

DavidXBrunt

Joyce went on to appear in 'Innocents Abroad' (coming soon to a Titan collection near you) a solo tale in a Yearbook called 'When Irish Pies Are Smiling', and 'Judgement Day'.

And he's long overdue a return appearance.

Buddy

Pagangirl

Was it Ennis that wrote Helter Skelter, a simply marvelous tale which outshines all others?  
PG
(I bet I get a bigger response with this than I did with the Dredd is gay thread).  No, I'm not a troll, but I do want to act trollish just now, ok?

Buddy

I've actually re-read Helter Skelter recently and the basic idea is quite a good one, my gripes with it are:-

A) It could have been handled a bit more seriously and

B) The inclusion of other 2000ad characters... are we to assume that DR & Quinch are on the loose in Mega City One????

Link: http://www.ximoc.co.uk" target="_blank">http://www.ximoc.co.uk