Main Menu

Now I Know My ABCs...

Started by Funt Solo, 31 March, 2021, 05:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

I've started my own A-Z of 2000 AD project and (of course) started with 'K', and Kingdom.

It has to be off-forum because the chart and table have some groovy, interactive functionality that can't be replicated here.

Tech note: table hover components sort-of work as long-holds on touch-screen devices, but really this is designed for pointer-driven interfaces.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Wow Funt Solo that's going to become something pretty damned fantastic. A resource to sit shouler to shoulder with Barney - fantastic stuff and I look forward to watching it develop!

broodblik

I like your first entry looking forward to the rest.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Lorenzo

That's really cool and potentially really useful. If I may be a little autistic for a minute; could you give the episode count a different Y-axis on the right for clarity? Also, the table could be a little bigger and the headings should be consistent with the text (episodes=parts) and don't need to be abbreviated.
Hope you don't mind the whinge, great work  :thumbsup:

JayzusB.Christ

That's brilliant.  Really love the clarity of the table and graph - looking forward to more.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

AlexF

beautiful and practical! A double threat for the ages.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Lorenzo on 31 March, 2021, 08:20:41 AM
That's really cool and potentially really useful. If I may be a little autistic for a minute; could you give the episode count a different Y-axis on the right for clarity? Also, the table could be a little bigger and the headings should be consistent with the text (episodes=parts) and don't need to be abbreviated.
Hope you don't mind the whinge, great work  :thumbsup:

Ooh - thanks - these are good ideas.

The chart is from a free system (chart.js), so I'm not sure if I can (easily) add a second Y-axis on the right. However - what you can do is click on the key labels at the top of the chart to toggle the two data streams on or off, which is pretty cool. Not obvious, though - so maybe I should make that clearer.

Yes, to consistency w. episodes/parts. I'll fix that.

I hear you on abbreviations and table size. Some of these tables will have additional columns (for writer and artist, where they are different by episode) so some will be wider. Still, you're not wrong. I'm swithering.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

I've been doing some format tests on my A to Z, so you can now peruse Kingdom, Kingmaker, Kings of Cult, Kola Kommandos and Lawless.

My partial automation process seems quite fluid now, but it'll still take a while to populate.

Thing that surprised me: I couldn't find anywhere on the 2000AD shop that just had (for example) a list of all the Kingdom graphic novels on one page. Am I missing something or is the shop just a bit crap not easy to find stuff on?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Wow if your going to go to the level of detail of 'Kings of Cult' you are going to be doing a lot of work! That's fantastic stuff.

sintec

Looking really good. Shaping up to be an awesome resource

Lorenzo

Quote from: Funt Solo on 14 April, 2021, 05:04:03 AM...
Thing that surprised me: I couldn't find anywhere on the 2000AD shop that just had (for example) a list of all the Kingdom graphic novels on one page. Am I missing something or is the shop just a bit crap not easy to find stuff on?

No, you are quite right, the shop is a bit crap. Even the search window has disappeared. The best you can hope for is to select one graphic novel and scroll down to see the others that are available in the series. I find it quite irritating trying to discover what has been collected and which episodes they contain.

Excellent work BTW.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 14 April, 2021, 06:37:13 AM
Wow if your going to go to the level of detail of 'Kings of Cult' you are going to be doing a lot of work! That's fantastic stuff.

Thanks, Colin. It was a lot of work, but the data's already sitting in a spreadsheet (all the Interrogations, Flix, Mix, Ro-Jaw's Reviews, Bile Ducts et al) now, and just needs processed into my web-page format using a cunning system I've devised. So cunning, you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Reckon I could get it down to about ten minutes per page (what with finding a graphic to put on there, and coming up with a one-line descriptor), so the entire project should only take ... oh dear ... one hundred hours (ah ... not counting Dredd, because that's complicated).
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Tremble in awe as I include Aquila, Cursed Earth Koburn and Quilli in my A-Z.

I'll do them in a priority order if you make requests - so far it's been relatively random .
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Oh interesting I figured you'd be doing in kinda alphabetical from Ks. In that case can I ask for a biggie Sinister Dexter to get up there?

Dark Jimbo

And somewhere deep within the depths of City Hall, Barney's video-smile unaccountably falters. His technician, Murphy, casts an eye over the feed levels , and frowns - if he didn't know better (and being this long in the tooth, he should) it's almost as if Barney was... shuddering.
'What's up, pal?'
'I... I don' t know, Murph. I suddenly felt a bit... peculiar.'
'Ah.' Murph starts to slide his hand toward the Justice Department emergency call button. He counts Barney a friend, but he also knows which side his synthi-bread is buttered. 'Like Christmas at Des O' Connor block peculiar?'
Barney's down-home voice simulates an uneasy laugh. 'You a historian now, Murph? That's ancient history! No, I just felt... Well, like my time is over, sort of thing.'
Murph relaxes a little. Just a touch of computer senility. Honestly, he's been expecting this for a while now. 'I shouldn't worry too much, buddy. None of us goes on forever, after all - but there' s plenty of life in the old dog yet.'
None of us goes on forever... Barney ought to know that better than most. Murph replaced Brian, who caught the Chaos bug; he' d replaced Audie, who's now on artificial life-support in a Sector 12 care home; Audie replaced Wilson, after that terrible futsie business... The list is long. But still, Barney somehow never imagined it happening to him. To confront your own mortality is a terrible thing, especially when you're essentially an immortal being. 'Murph...' he asks, quietly. 'What' s the A-Z of 2000AD?'
@jamesfeistdraws