Main Menu

Quarter Finals: 1 - Garth Ennis or Ian Edginton - Ultimate not Wagner Tourney

Started by Colin YNWA, 16 June, 2020, 06:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

Quote from: AlexF on 16 June, 2020, 01:04:31 PM
...there's an argument to be had that Edington's weird and lovingly crafted old-timey / otherworldly / regional accented worldbuilding has in itself come to define the Prog in recent decades.

I think it absolutely has. It's not to my personal taste, but if someone said to me "What's 2000AD like today?", I'd point them at Edginton's work. Even the stuff he doesn't write, like Hope and Brink, have a similar feel. Of course, this is probably in line with a broader movement in popular culture - Rebellion-era 2000AD embraces the 'boxset' model. I'm not saying I don't like any stories in that 'serial' vein - Cradlegrave is absolutely that kind of story. But I feel that the balance has definitely shifted more in that direction and away from 'what's the iconic character going to get up to this week?'

oshii

TordelBack

Quote from: Greg M. on 16 June, 2020, 01:13:34 PMBut I feel that the balance has definitely shifted more in that direction and away from 'what's the iconic character going to get up to this week?'

After 2,200 of those weeks I can see why that might be! 

Sharp bit of analysis there though, Greg. I voted for Edginton [Note to Colin: I already voted further upthread, this is just Greg-inspired waffle] over Ennis because every time I mentally list out the strips he's done that I enjoy, I manage to forget a few, and I still have loads. It's fair to say that Edginton is the best example of the Late Model Prog approach.

It hasn't all been plain sailing for him: the forgettable Interceptor and disappointing Detonator X; the stuttering start to Helium (using up precious D'Israeli drawing time to no good purpose!) and maybe American Gothic (well, it felt like a set-up for more to me); even the sputtering-out of otherwise excellent Ampney Crucis and that highly questionable reveal in my personal fave Stickleback.

But then you have his successfully-concluded or at-least-moving-along-well stories: Red Seas, Stone Island, Brass Sun, Leviathan, Kingmaker, and his and D'Israeli's masterwork, the sublime Scarlet Traces. Even his Dredds, while not perfect, have had a clear identity and a commendably tight focus on the stories he's telling. 

I mean to say, that's a LOT, and I bet I've still forgotten something (NARRATOR: He had. Several things). It's so much that if you subtracted Edginton (and let's say Abnett too) fro 2000AD, it's hard to know what the modern prog would look like week to week: mainly Rennie and Kek-W doing new things with established properties, I suppose. Not so bad, but very different, and perhaps still writing for the trade (although I'll contend that almost every recent Rennie strip works perfectly as individual episodes and individual 'books', depending a lot less on the collection).

CalHab

IndigoPrime

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 June, 2020, 01:53:54 PMIt's so much that if you subtracted Edginton (and let's say Abnett too) fro 2000AD
In the modern era of 2000 AD, that really doesn't bear thinking about. The Prog would be instantly hollowed out in a very bad way.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

Since his incredible work in Crisis has been permitted, Garth Ennis.

JayzusB.Christ

25 years ago, I never thought I'd hear myself say it, but Garth Ennis is a fantastic comics writer. But, as I explained ad nauseum in the last round, I despaired for the prog when he took over Dredd and Stront(s) duties and nearly gave up on it.

Ian, however, is a great fit for the prog and I love his Millsian cross-continuity elements.

Ian Edginton.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Andy B

Garth Ennis' war stories and his Punisher stuff are some of my favourite comics, and his Crisis work, along with some of his Dredd, was pretty damn good. But from a 2000AD point of view, this is an easy win for Ian Edginton: quality and quantity.

Ghost MacRoth

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Daveycandlish

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Richard

rogue69

Funt Solo

Ian Edginton

Ampney CrucisBrass SunLeviathan

---------------------------------------

Scarlet TracesSticklebackThe Red Seas

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Illustrated entries - Cool. I adore that Brass Sun cover its so dynamic.

Magnetica