Main Menu

Urban on Dredd

Started by Funt Solo, 13 February, 2024, 03:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

A section of a video called Karl Urban Breaks Down His Most Iconic Characters.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

lincnash

:lol: Dredd does huz kiwi eccent.
"Eh cuzzy, greb me a bear from the chully-bun or yule be doin' serious cube time."

Dash Decent

Watch out or you'll have the secret operative known only as The Bishop onto us.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

IndigoPrime

You know, all these years later and he's still so gracious and positive about Dredd, and so open-minded. That idea that he'd love to revisit the character, but he'd be happy to see someone else do it, just so he could se the stories. The lack of ego there is palpable. I'm not sure we could have a better advocate of the brand, and it's in stark, stark contrast to Stallone. (Although, natch, it perhaps helps that while Dredd was a box-office failure, it was nonetheless critically acclaimed and found its audience on shiny disc and streaming.)

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

lordmockingbird

Quote from: lincnash on 13 February, 2024, 04:49:57 AM:lol: Dredd does huz kiwi eccent.
"Eh cuzzy, greb me a bear from the chully-bun or yule be doin' serious cube time."

For real though, I know Dredd is set around NYC. But the comics feel like it's supposed to be English people talking. Am I off base with that?

I'd love to see an all British cast do maybe a London version of Dredd

IndigoPrime

I mean, it was written by Brits for Brits, during a period where I don't think there was a great awareness of much beyond caricature in writing, especially in comics. Hence a lot of Britishisms in a strip set in a future east-cost US.

Or perhaps Britspeak just got really popular for a bit.

nxylas

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 February, 2024, 03:03:46 PMI mean, it was written by Brits for Brits, during a period where I don't think there was a great awareness of much beyond caricature in writing, especially in comics. Hence a lot of Britishisms in a strip set in a future east-cost US.

Or perhaps Britspeak just got really popular for a bit.
John Wagner was born and grew up in the US, so he perhaps has less excuse than most. But there have been occasions when I've spotted, for example, British spellings on signs, which pulls me out of the picture a bit.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Funt Solo

Quote from: lordmockingbird on 19 February, 2024, 02:28:28 PMI'd love to see an all British cast do maybe a London version of Dredd

Helm?

++JD Mega-Special 1996++
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

lordmockingbird

Let's have Guy Ritchie do it. Statham would possibly still be an amazing Dredd even at 56

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 February, 2024, 03:03:46 PMHence a lot of Britishisms in a strip set in a future east-cost US.

Oh... I think John, in particular, leaned into that because he thought it was funny. Dean Gaffney block, anyone...?  :D
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

MC1 has trousers instead of pants, a Wally Squad instead of a Kook Squad, biscuits (UK style) instead of cookies and an armoury instead of an armory.  Mega-Citizens have been known to give the insulting v- sign as well as the more universal single finger.  I also seem to remember Dredd saying both 'on your bike' and 'sling your hook', which as far as I know Americans don't say.

Must be that bloody Atlantic Tunnel- as soon as that was built there was no keeping Brit culture out.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

lordmockingbird

do you guys have this button on your microwaves and does it remind you of an old man yelling?

Funt Solo

Quote from: lordmockingbird on 24 February, 2024, 03:57:17 PMdo you guys have this button on your microwaves and does it remind you of an old man yelling?

The microwave at the Millicom canteen said "STOP OFF", which suggested we should take a break there before moving on with our travel plans.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

The Sharkowave behaves somewhat differently in that it creates powerful currents that drag unsuspecting surfers directly into my ravenous maw, but when the meal is ready it does still go "ding!" like your puny human appliances.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]