Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Future Shock: The Story of 2000AD, and very enjoyable it was too. Went along with a couple of friends who aren't readers and they both really enjoyed it too and were enthusing about how accessible it was and how interesting and entertaining it all was regardless.

There was a Q&A afterwards but I had to sprint for a train as soon as the credits rolled, I'm told it was fun though (but brief, as Dredd was showing afterwards).

Mardroid

Quote from: pictsy on 22 June, 2015, 11:59:36 PM
Next up will be it's sequel which I am looking forward to more as I know less about it and haven't heard as much hype surround it.  From what little I have seen it looks very interesting and appropriately different.

I think "Day.." might be my favourite of the Romero Dead films, but they're all good in their own way.

Look forward see what you think of it.

Link Prime

Romero's Day of the Dead was grim fun.
That [spoiler]soldier screaming while his head is detached[/spoiler] scene has stayed with me since childhood.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Link Prime on 23 June, 2015, 10:59:41 AM
Romero's Day of the Dead was grim fun.
That [spoiler]soldier screaming while his head is detached[/spoiler] scene has stayed with me since childhood.
CHOKE OF 'EM!!!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Mardroid on 23 June, 2015, 10:54:25 AM
Quote from: pictsy on 22 June, 2015, 11:59:36 PM
Next up will be it's sequel which I am looking forward to more as I know less about it and haven't heard as much hype surround it.  From what little I have seen it looks very interesting and appropriately different.

I think "Day.." might be my favourite of the Romero Dead films, but they're all good in their own way.

Look forward see what you think of it.

I have a very good friend who thinks Day is better than Dawn to... I tolerate the wrong headed fool, but make him aware that he really should do some serious thinking about his life choices.

Dawn every damned day of the week.

Keef Monkey

Me and my little brother are both in the Day camp. It's just so damn bleak and the apocalyptic atmosphere is really intense.

Watched through Night/Dawn/Day with my fiance recently as she'd never seen them, and while she enjoyed Night and Dawn a lot (otherwise the wedding would be off), Day was the one that held up best to her as a new viewer. It was the one where the tension really worked for her and she was properly on the edge of her seat at points, it got a really visceral horror movie reaction that the others didn't and she declared it her favorite.

shaolin_monkey

Day is definitely more polished, a bit tighter, and has the nice tension between scientist and military.  Oh, and 'Bub' of course!  :D

However, Dawn is by far my favourite (despite the recurring reanimating zombie extras) because it is eminently quotable [spoiler]('When the dead walk you must stop the killing, or lose the war.' and 'When there's no more room in hell, the dead shall walk the earth.') [/spoiler], and a fantastic commentary on the utter pointlessness of consumerism.  The whole [spoiler]'what have  we done to ourselves?' scene at the dinnertable, as the world falls apart around them[/spoiler] is one of many memorable moments.

It's also a little overlong, but I don't care.  I adore all three films, but Dawn is definitely my favourite, and watched more often than the others.

Famous Mortimer

Dawn isn't just the best zombie movie ever made, it's one of the best movies of the 70s, the incredible decade for cinema. Day is...okay, I guess? Everything since then has been an embarrassment too.

pictsy

I have not long finished Day of the Dead.  Once again, this is a good film to have on whilst working.  There is certainly more tension to this film and I like that it doesn't come from the Zombie threat (for the most part).  It is pretty grim and the improvement in the effects adds greatly to that tone.  It certainly wouldn't have worked as well if it looked like Dawn did.  It was pretty enjoyable.

Comparing it to Dawn is hard, however.  The two films do seem distinct from one another.  From my initial impression after watching Day I can't exactly say that it worse than Dawn, nor is it better.  I'd rate them pretty much on par.  They are enjoyable, but for different reasons.  Day is certainly a more polished film, and the power-play and desperation gives the film a sharper edge.  That edge is needed to be able to stand up to it's predecessor, and I think it does.

I'm certainly pleased to have finally watched these films.  I liked that they are both character driven and any shock value is appropriately placed to emphasise the extreme situations of human interaction and choice.  I can see why these films are so highly regarded, but I do think that Dawn unfairly overshadows Day in regards to a legacy of hype.  Day is certainly good enough to be held in the same esteem as Dawn.

Greg M.

Dawn is a great, great movie, but Day is definitely the one I come back to, time and time again. It's much more the EC Comics of Dead movies - grimmer, nastier, more sadistic – and yet it has the happier ending. It also has Tom Savini's best ever make-up effects. To my mind it's just as quotable as Dawn, though that may be because I know it so well. Richard Liberty and Joe Pilato get the lion's share of the great lines, but I like to watch it and pretend Steel's the main character - true, he's a racist, sexist bastard but it's still possible to sympathise with him more than you'd think.

Woolly

Day of the Dead, without a shadow of a doubt. And I've told Ken Foray that to his face!

Had the pleasure to be at a Q+A with George Romero when Land of the Dead premiered in Edinburgh.
In his own words (more or less)...
"There are the serious horror fans who prefer Night of the living Dead, the party people who like the rollercoaster ride of Day of the Dead, and then (grins) there are the trolls who prefer Day of the Dead."

Yup, I'm a troll  :)
And, although he never suggested it directly, I think the look on George's face at the time suggested he may be a troll as well.

Hawkmumbler

Romero has alwaus insisted that he knows Dawn is his best film, but he unashamedly loves Day over it, because it was the movie he had been wanting to do since Night. Gore filled, grim as all hell, and bloody fantastic fun.

Famous Mortimer

I've never met 5 people in a row who thought "Day" was better than "Dawn" - tis a surprise (not enough to change my mind, though). I'm not entirely sure, re: Romero's comments, that anyone thinks "Night" is the best of the three, though.

SmallBlueThing

You don't get a bigger fan of GAR than me,  and Day is absolutely at the top of the list.  But then,  maybe that's because I saw it on general release at the cinema,  and loved it so much I went back three times in the six days my local fleapit showed it (delayed one day due to snow).
It's one of my comfort films,  along with The Thing,  The Fog,  American Werewolf and The Wicker Man, and gets watched several times a year even now. 

I'd stick his zoms in the following order, but am aware I am in the minority.  Just like NO ONE liked Day on release,  and it took the world a couple of decades to catch up.  So Mark my words,  Land, Diary and Survival will find their audiences in time.

1. Day
2. Land
3. Diary
4. Night
5. Survival
6. Dawn. 

Roll on George A Romero's Marvel's Empire of the Dead,  is all I can say.

SBT

Spikes

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 23 June, 2015, 08:57:35 PM

6. Dawn.

:o

Day is great fun though, but for me none of the others come remotely close to Dawn.
But seeing that list has reminded me that I haven't re-watched Land in ages. I might just bang that on now.
Great comfort films though, hard to argue with any of those choices.