Main Menu

Meg 424 - Thirty Megnificent Years

Started by jrdd, 13 September, 2020, 02:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Well that was a very, very good Megazine. Well done on thirty years. Thank you Tharg and all your droids.

Every time I think about the audacity of LAWLESS THE MUSICAL, I chuckle to myself. Just sheer genius idea that is brilliantly executed. Who'd have thought we'd ever have to write "The writer, artist, letterer, singers and musicians knocked it of the park on this episode"?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

maryanddavid

It's amazing how Wagnery a Wagner Dredd is, great art too, superb.

MegaTropolis, good intro, It will be interesting to see where this goes, much prefer this to 'world Judge' stories. Fantastic art, reminded me of Warren mags for some reason.

I love Mike Carrolls world building and the art is great, I'd be happy to see this as a semi permanent feature like Lawless.

Anderson was a decent one off, low key. Big event Anderson stories never work for me, I much prefer the investigative stories, like the Possessed. I'd like to see where McHugh could take Anderson.

The Returners, I'm on the fence. Loved the first series, not so much the second. Spencer is a great writer and the art is lovely too. Wait and see!

Deliverance, not my cuppa. Frazer was the last time I think I enjoyed the DJ's properly, the DOC appearance was fun, but we never really got how they got away from PJ. It has it fans and tbf it's well written and drawn, just not for me.

Lawless was just great, like something from mid eighties W&G Dredd. The depth and quality of the world that the creators have made is on show when they can pull a story like this off.

Dave Hunt interview-  Dave is a great guy, nice interview and great to see him getting the recognition he deserves.

The Floppy, I rarely read them, (unless old or Treasury ones)  and then do a binge at Christmas. I was ambivalent when I heard about this, but its not bad, lot of stuff I had forgotten about! The only think I could say, more images!

Overall a great Meg, it has always struggles a bit with its identity. It has a good core of stories for the future Dredd, Lawless, Anderson, Carroll's proto Dredd world and Anderson if done well. A non Dredd world strip would be good too.

Tiplodocus

I haven't been able to stop humming the LAWLESS tunes. I don't think a story has ever ingrained itself into me this way before.

Oh-oh! Maybe I actually have been denying myself. Maybe I like musical theatre more than Judge Dredd?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Bolt-01

hmmm - has Judge Dredd ever said anything about how much he likes musical theatre?

DrJomster

Quote from: maryanddavid on 02 October, 2020, 12:07:39 AM
It's amazing how Wagnery a Wagner Dredd is, great art too, superb.

So true!

Great Meg, folks! You've done us proud. Here's to the next thirty years!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

dweezil2

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 03 October, 2020, 01:10:27 PM
hmmm - has Judge Dredd ever said anything about how much he likes musical theatre?

He probably said it with a hi-ex!  :lol:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

JimmyNailz

Finally got round to listening along to Lawless and now feel foolish for complaining about "songs in comics". That was brilliant! #VoteLawson

Judge Olde

I think this was the best Meg in 30 years! Fantastic, loved every page. More like this please :)

The Enigmatic Dr X

I am just catching up on a Meg backlog; until last week, the last one I had read was April 2019.

While I am sorry for the necropost, I just have to say that (a) Dreddnoughts was the freshest thing I have seen in the Meg for a good while, and (b) the musical Lawless was dross of the highest ordure and really spoiled what would have otherwise been a smash out the park for the 30th anniversary.

Musical comic strips do not work, because you cannot rely on the reader to know the tune. It didn't work for Robo-Hunter in 1982, and it didn't work here.
Lock up your spoons!

TordelBack

Did you try listening to the audio, Dr. X? I was a bit negative going in myself, but it's really very good.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 April, 2021, 10:32:42 AM
Did you try listening to the audio, Dr. X? I was a bit negative going in myself, but it's really very good.

It's not mentioned in the Meg...
Lock up your spoons!

Colin YNWA

Wait until you hear it - its MAGNIFICENT!

Swerty

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 21 April, 2021, 08:56:52 AM
I am just catching up on a Meg backlog; until last week, the last one I had read was April 2019.

While I am sorry for the necropost, I just have to say that (a) Dreddnoughts was the freshest thing I have seen in the Meg for a good while, and (b) the musical Lawless was dross of the highest ordure and really spoiled what would have otherwise been a smash out the park for the 30th anniversary.

Musical comic strips do not work, because you cannot rely on the reader to know the tune. It didn't work for Robo-Hunter in 1982, and it didn't work here.

It did work for Robo Hunter in 1821
I enjoyed it very much