Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

The employment agency phoned up this morning to tell me the depot had been expecting me to turn up for work. I had to say that it was news to me, because the agency had said nothing about it on Friday, and no-one from Royal Mail could say one way or the other whether I would be needed this week. So I've got the day off, Royal Mail are short-handed, and the agency have screwed up as they so very often do. They leave an awful lot to chance.

Maybe Royal Mail should employ their own relief staff directly and pay them better than minimum wage. Having an agency acting as a middle man, whose offices are closed on Saturday, means one more pair of hands to drop the ball.
STRIKE !!!

TordelBack

Ugh, that brings me back to my days as an itinerant digger in the mid-90s.  On Friday morning I'd pack up my gear from whatever floor I'd been billeted on and bring it to site, then we would all be let go at 5pm in whatever corner of the country we were working in with a wave and a promise of cheques in the post, and then I'd try to make my way by bus back home to the Dublin bedsit I was illegally cohabitating in at the weekends.  Then on Sunday lunchtime I would use the payphone in the corridor to phone my ex-boss (the days before mobiles, and in my case cars) and he'd sound very surprised and say he was of course expecting to pick me in his jeep on O'Connell Street at 6pm to take me back down for work in Sligo (or wherever) the next morning.  Why he could never just tell us this on Friday I could never establish.

davethomson

Quote from: House of Usher on 31 August, 2010, 11:40:47 AM
Maybe Royal Mail should employ their own relief staff directly and pay them better than minimum wage.

It's funny you should say that because that's what they do in their sorting offices. I signed up with an an agency to sort mail over the winter. When us agency plebs arrived we found that the majority of temps there were employed directly by the Royal Mail, received a higher hourly rate and paid breaks. ::)

Everything I know about life, I learnt from old school hip-hop. Don't sweat the technique!

Peter Wolf

I went in this Organic food cafe this morning for a can of drink and it was staffed by a rude miserable Lesbian.I presume she ? was a Lesbian and female but she was one of the types of indeterminate sex.anyway i am sick and tired of cafes and shops whose fridges and chilling cabinets dont work and if they are going to charge me 1.30 for a can of drink [Whole Earth Cola] i expect it to be cold.Then she ? was complaining that i left the cans in an untidy mess when i left them neatly stacked on the shelves as i found them.

This is what i told her and i told her the fridbge wasnt working.

If someone has an attitude problem then they shouldnt be working serving customers in a cafe.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

COMMANDO FORCES

Bollocks!

I went to the picture framers earlier to collect two art pieces and could only collect the pic of half Dredd, half Rico's face, as the Cellar of Dredd piece was not done in the non reflective glass  :o
The bloke said give him half an hour and he'd rectify it but I said I'll be back on Friday'ish and then killed him!

Van Dom

:D

But after you'd killed him did he do it any quicker?
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

COMMANDO FORCES

No but it calmed me down, well that is until Friday when I wonder why it hasn't been done  ::)

Colin Zeal

Since Tuesday I've gone a bit bonkers and spent £130 buying trades and graphic novels. I'm really going to regret that outlay come the end of the month when I've got no money left.

TordelBack

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 31 August, 2010, 06:21:00 PM
If someone has an attitude problem then they shouldnt be working serving customers in a cafe.

True 'nuff, but I am impressed that the exchange was intense enough that you could work out someone's sexual orientation without knowing their gender!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: TordelBack on 02 September, 2010, 11:21:41 AM
Quote from: Peter Wolf on 31 August, 2010, 06:21:00 PM

True 'nuff, but I am impressed that the exchange was intense enough that you could work out someone's sexual orientation without knowing their gender!

I think it was the Millie Tant look that gave it away.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Banners

You anticipate waiting in all day for a delivery as the courier can't give a time, nip out for 5 minutes - and they turn up in your absence. This means they leave a card and you don't get the delivery until next week. Grrr...

M@

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Cyberleader2000

ive been waiting weaks for the transformers and outher coletibiles I bort to turn up in the post they do and I had a cold so I could not do a video review because cold make my voise sound funny so ive been waiting and im all most over it all that left is a slight bit of a cold that makeing me sound worses than when I had the full blone cold and If I dont get the 27 video reviews out of the way befor monday it could be months befor I get anouther charnce I hate haveing colds.
Pleases Vist My Blog

can you name the anime

Darren Stephens

Cyberleader, thank god your not doing written reviews!  :lol: Though, it would be torturously entertaining, trying to work out what in the name of the baby Jesus your going on about!  ;)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Rog69

All day I've been stuck working near to a badly tuned radio that played non stop robot voice chav music. I have a headache.