Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperSurfer

Quote from: radiator on 07 January, 2011, 02:41:12 PM
Me: "Alright"
Him: "Alright"
(pause)

Sounds like my experience at the recent work Xmas party. Bloody painful. Everyone in the department I work for pulled out at the last minute (other than one who conked out after 10 mins – turned out to be a food allergy). Most others are usually really cliquey with their departments. So often I curse myself for going to such dos. On the basis of that I almost boycotted the other Xmas work activities. In the end I attended two out of three meals and one other drink session and actually had a great time as others that I work with attended those.

On footie – afraid I'm one of the odd one's out here. While I'm not nuts about football I am into it and am really looking forward to the match I'm going to in February. The Mrs and a quite a few other people we know are also going. In fact the Mrs has probably been more keen than me to go since the last match we saw in 2005. That was an international match so the types of fans we will be coming across in the premiership will be completely different.

There are aspects of the beautiful game I don't like though, such as why one must hate with a vengeance the fans of any other local (or not so local clubs).

Oh, and another thing I am really looking forward to is the wedding we are hopefully off to abroad this year. The generous groom (my cousin) is offering to pay for hotels. We are going to try and make a holiday of it and stay nearby for a couple of weeks and take up the offer for a stay at the hotel for a couple of days.

Hopefully you will be staying in a good location radiator and can have a break from the wedding guests at some point.

davethomson

Radiator - I find those situations when you have nothing to talk about with someone are a perfect opportunity to lie outrageously. Tell them you invented Iron Man, played for the Claymores as a star quarterback, gave David Cameron advice on procuring affordable eastern European prostitutes for the cabinet meetings, and had your nose broken by Andre the Giant because you called him "wee man".

I find it beats abusing the wedding sauce on your own and helps the day pass quicker.
Everything I know about life, I learnt from old school hip-hop. Don't sweat the technique!

Dandontdare

On the subject of unreasonably expensive invites, I dread being invited on a stag nights nowadays. In my time it meant a pub, a club, maybe a stripjoint, and handcuffing the groom to a lampost. Nowadays it's a frigging weekend in Prague or paintballing in Dublin.

TordelBack

Quote from: radiator on 07 January, 2011, 02:41:12 PM
Me: "Alright"
Him: "Alright"

(pause)

Me: "So, you having a good day?"

...and that was it - he got distracted by someone/something and walked away.

Wait, I thought that was conversation.  There's more?

Peter Wolf

Quote from: radiator on 07 January, 2011, 12:55:36 PM
especially the blokes who are unbearable arseholes almost without exception. Very laddish, shallow, preening types who I find it almost impossible to even make small talk with.

Had to go to a wedding reception with the same crowd last summer and though we were only there for a couple of hours I found it very trying. I'm genuinely dreading a whole weekend of it... :(

Perhaps I could try and get some valium for the flight...

How awful.

You have my sympathy.

I dont even think i could word one sentence about football as i hate it so much as well as all sport but i would probably start a conversation about how much i hate sport and football and how they are overpaid twats and see how that goes but on second thoughts its not hard to imagine what the response to that would be....

Would it be too much to ask if they were to not talk about football constantly ??

For the flight though i recommend listening to music through headphones as it will block out their boring football based yapping.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

radiator

QuoteIt's always surprised me at how little talk of sport there is on here, which is unlike any other forum I use.

And I'm grateful for that!  :)

Richmond Clements

Quote from: radiator on 07 January, 2011, 06:20:09 PM
QuoteIt's always surprised me at how little talk of sport there is on here, which is unlike any other forum I use.

And I'm grateful for that!  :)

There is however, a surprising amount of talk about cheese.

Peter Wolf

I was sitting at the computer just now and typing and listening to music through headphones as i often do.Then i stopped what i was doing and got up and left the headphones on the floor next to the desk and somehow they got caught up with my foot as i wasnt watching what i was doing which resulted in the headphone lead being yanked really hard resulting in no sound.

Great

>:(

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Mardroid

I'm not a sports fan either and tend to glaze over (or switch over) when it's on.

This instructional video might be of aid for football conversations though...

Incidentally that's a very funny episode of The IT Crowd (Are We not Men?). I totally empathised with the characters in this match scene.

vzzbux

It's easy to talk about football. Just mention how much you hate Man Utd then just fill in with, under worked, over paid, smug, faceless, mardy, arrogant. The list could go on and on.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Dandontdare

I've just got home, slightly pissed, to find a late birthday present from my brother. The jiffy bag had so much sellotape on it, I attacked it with a pair of scissors - and thereby cut a inch-long chunk out of a very cool Batman T-shirt -  one of the best presents I've ever had off him.

bollox

exilewood

Well, I have mentioned football on here - on the life's fantastic thread - when I found out, reading an old annual I think, that Mike McMahon is a fellow Gooner! (Arsenal fan).

TordelBack

Grrrr, just found out I missed a creditors' meeting today for one of my many deadbeat clients.  Not that it matters, since we aren't getting anything from them anyway, but I'd have enjoyed a bit of cathartic shouting.  Apparently they can walk away from €40 million debts (they owe me €6K, either chickenfeed or half my gross wage for last year, depending on how you look at it), but get to keep their many other companies because of some clever Isle of Man shenanigans.  

Also, my favourite free festival has been cancelled after 10 ever-improving years. 

I need a drink.

Dandontdare

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 January, 2011, 12:55:43 AM
Also, my favourite free festival has been cancelled after 10 ever-improving years.

Which one was that then? My favourite festival (the big green gathering) died a couple of years ago due to police sabotage/hippy incompetence (delete as appropriate) so I feel your pain.

As for the debt thingy - I've never run a business, but the way people can get away with not paying for stuff never ceases to amaze me. Someone is trying to get a private members bill through to make 30 days payment terms legally enforceable, but apparently its got very little chance in the face of the business lobby,.

Roger Godpleton

I had some duck with gravy yesterday but it tasted a bit funny. Gradually it dawned on me that mother had just shoved some duck l'orange into witless incongruence, bursting in on a conventional gravy based dinner. Yorkshire puddings were there. As ridicule orbs.

I need adequately contextualised meat.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!