Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

I believe I mentioned in this thread (at least I think it was this one...) a while back about a certain friend of a friend who calls herself an 'illustrator', and an 'artist', despite that fact she has zero talent, and that her entire portfolio is simply pictures of celebrities scanned in from fashion magazines, which she then crudely doodles over and applies various filters to in Photoshop. I always have to bite my tongue when people fawn over her work - and even buy prints from her. To be frank, I consider it an insult to real hardworking illustrators.

Well, I have an update - following an exhibition of 'her' 'work', she has been threatened with legal action by representatives of one of the celebrities whose image she used without permission.

While I genuinely hope that nothing more than a simple cease and desist comes of this, I can't deny that I felt a huge surge of satisfaction on hearing the news.

Does that make me a bad person?

COMMANDO FORCES

No, you should be laughing and pointing at her, the thieving cow  :lol:

Keef Monkey

Quote from: radiator on 18 April, 2011, 07:25:31 PM
I believe I mentioned in this thread (at least I think it was this one...) a while back about a certain friend of a friend who calls herself an 'illustrator', and an 'artist', despite that fact she has zero talent, and that her entire portfolio is simply pictures of celebrities scanned in from fashion magazines, which she then crudely doodles over and applies various filters to in Photoshop. I always have to bite my tongue when people fawn over her work - and even buy prints from her. To be frank, I consider it an insult to real hardworking illustrators.

Well, I have an update - following an exhibition of 'her' 'work', she has been threatened with legal action by representatives of one of the celebrities whose image she used without permission.

While I genuinely hope that nothing more than a simple cease and desist comes of this, I can't deny that I felt a huge surge of satisfaction on hearing the news.

Does that make me a bad person?

Shouldn't this be known as 'Pulling a Robert Granito' these days? I don't think you're a bad person.

radiator

I should stress that this is most definitely not Warholesque artistic, deliberate, satirical re-appropriation of celebrity images - this is literally typing a celebrities name into Google Images, nabbing the first image you find, dicking around with it in Photoshop, and passing it off as an original piece of art.

What makes it worse it that the photos she uses aren't stock shots, they are generally posed portraits from magazine shoots, so she's ripping off the photographer, the publication and the celebrity themselves, as well as the person she is selling the 'artwork' to.

Dunk!

Quote from: radiator on 18 April, 2011, 07:25:31 PMDoes that make me a bad person?

Yes, but if we're ever at the same dinner party please sit next to me.
"Trust we"

COMMANDO FORCES

I can see many holiday problems at work over the next month or so.

We've all voted on 5 different shift pattern changes and two are surging ahead. This all ended over two weeks ago and still we have no idea which won and what shifts we have. The problem is that all the changes take place on the day of the Royal Wedding, as our place shuts down for the day.

Well I have had to put holidays in for Demoncon and Judge Minty filming in May. The thing is, instead of putting 4 days in I only had to put 1 in, as we can move rest days about, thus enabling us to save as much holiday as we can.

Obviously with the changes coming I need to know what the hell is going on, as I'm gonna have to alter the holidays and rest dates as it's all gonna change.

I can see a LOT of angry people if it ain't sorted soon!

radiator

....turns out it was just a C&D, but now she's bleating on facebook about how unfair it all is, claiming that she only used the original image for 'taking inspiration and paying homage', that she creates her images 'from scratch' (lie),  and providing links to an article that discusses the rights and wrongs of comic artists who do take commissions to draw licensed characters as if that situation bears one iota of resemblance to her own.

Seriously having to force myself not to chime in with a comment to the effect of: "I'm on the movie people's side!".

Rog69

After 6 weeks of email tennis with senior management and our logistics department, I finally convinced them that I had a business case to replace my five year old safety shoes (even though I am supposed to get a new pair every six months).

I think it was me threatening to go to a customer review meeting in my slippers that finally tipped the balance in my favour.

They insisted on ordering them for me, they even chose them. I got home today to find a package on my doorstep containing a pair of safety trainers that I can't wear because they don't comply with the company dress code. Twats.

Keef Monkey

We were supposed to be supporting Sprinbok Nude Girls next month but they've cancelled the tour. Dunno why. I'd never actually heard of them but they're a South African band and our bassist is from that neck of the woods and a big fan so he was pretty pumped about it. We'd sold a few tickets for it so now we'll have to refund people. Annoying.

exilewood

I've been learning the piano for three weeks now & I've only managed to progress from 'drunk gorilla wearing boxing-gloves' standard to 'sober gorilla wearing boxing gloves' standard.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Pops: 2
Mice: 0

(yes, yes they do shat themselves when they die)
You may quote me on that.

Darren Stephens

Quote from: pops1983 on 22 April, 2011, 06:42:10 PM
Pops: 2
Mice: 0

(yes, yes they do shat themselves when they die)
We have one scratching away behind (in) the living room wall as I type. We had a lot of the bleedres a few years ago, but none since. Looks like it's time to reset the traps!  >:(
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Zarjazzer

I've burnt my hand on my own breakfast.  :-[ Even my breakfast is against me. I scoffed the bacon and eggs and yummy fried bread anyway so it wasn't wasted. :)
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

SmallBlueThing

Today, i went up to the archive to return some progs that i'd taken to work the other day. While putting them back, i found- shock, gasp!- a whole batch missing! panic! turned the archive upside down looking for them... Only to discover them, twenty stressful minutes later, on the bed. Where i'd put them. When i brought them upstairs to put them back. Yes, it was the same ones.

Arsebiscuits.

SBT

Banners

It's very hard to work with a kitteh on your lap...(!)