Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HdE

Poop.

Was gonna register on the Millarworld forums, so as i could offer my above-average lettering services for pitches, paid projects and such. But the sign-up requires me to give my real name.

Uh-uh. No way. Not gonna happen. I am THAT much of a privacy freak.

Still, at least my slender grip on the pro circuit means I can register with Comic Art Auctions instead. Huzzah!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

House of Usher

Quote from: House of Usher on 21 May, 2011, 04:31:29 PM
Today I bought a bottle of (Harvey's) Amontillado and discovered I don't like it and would rather be drinking Harvey's Bristol Cream. Then I checked the receipt. The shelf-edge label gave the price as having £1.56 off, but it went through the till at full price.

Sometimes there is a happy ending!  :D

I took my receipt back to the supermarket yesterday and pointed out the error. The incorrect price ticket was still on the shelf, advertising the non-existent special offer. Not only did I get my £1.56 overcharge refunded, but they also gave me a quite unecessary but very welcome £2.00 gift card as a goodwill gesture, so the bottle ended up costing me less than a fiver. I've also acquired a taste for Amontillado and have drunk half the bottle already! I think I'll make it my last though: I've got better than that in my booze cupboard.
STRIKE !!!

M.I.K.

I would have thought you'd have casks of the stuff.

TordelBack

Quote from: M.I.K. on 31 May, 2011, 12:21:39 AM
I would have thought you'd have casks of the stuff.

For the love of God, Montressor!

(Well played, Sir).

paddykafka

Because I went to make my morning cuppa today and my kettle was broken. Some weird fuse problem or something I suppose. The rest of the day has just gone downhill from that, being an ongoing succession of mishaps, bad timings and general annoyances and inconveniences. There's probably some old Chinese saying that goes something along the lines of: "Beware when kettle breaks because rest of day will be shit!"

House of Usher

My pull-cord shower switch doesn't work. I'm sure it's the fourth one we've had in eight years. I am not looking forward to having that apart, buying another one or doing all that fiddling about with wires to replace it again.

>:(
STRIKE !!!

worldshown

Last July - Bought ticket for The Wonderstuff in Cooper's Field. Venue closed

Last September - Went to buy ticket for Fenech-Soler at Cardiff Barfly. Venue closed

Today - Have ticket for We Are Scientists at the Millenium Music Hall. Go on. Guess.

Looks like I'm the kiss of death for any music venue in Cardiff.

Dandontdare

Quote from: paddykafka on 31 May, 2011, 12:08:23 PM
Because I went to make my morning cuppa today and my kettle was broken.
You have no saucepans? Mankind did boil water before the coming of St Morphy of Richards!

Quote from: worldshown on 31 May, 2011, 06:07:44 PM
Looks like I'm the kiss of death for any music venue

If you're ever up north, please go nowhere near The Band on the Wall or Hebden Bridge Trades Club as they're cracking venues.

I'm still mourning the sad demise of Jilly's Rockworld - it's a friggin' Tesco now.

Something Fishy

My sofa is starting to fall to bits.

Going to have to buy one some time soonish.  Bummer.

mogzilla

had our first nutter on ebay...sold a freeloader for the gamecube and sent it in bubble wrap in its tin ,he now says (several days later) its not working "badly scratched" and he had it professionally cleaned and its still not working ...i reminded him how it was packed and it was fine when it left me,any minor marks were certainly not "badly scratched" i also pointed out we dont offer returns ...got another message from him (again,days later) basically going off on one saying i'm a shit and "keep the money fool" i was wondering if it was mr t but his spelling was more cyberleader than ba baracus.

we shouldve done a car boot less hassle. ::)

Tombo

Quote from: House of Usher on 31 May, 2011, 05:15:30 PM
My pull-cord shower switch doesn't work. I'm sure it's the fourth one we've had in eight years. I am not looking forward to having that apart, buying another one or doing all that fiddling about with wires to replace it again.

>:(

Our pull-cord died last year, fortunately my brother is a bit of an electrician so he fixed it for us.  Do you leave your shower switched on when its not in use? (I mean the power, not the water) because Mark (my bro) reckons that's what buggered ours, it causes some sort of welding effect on the circuits inside the switch.

TordelBack

Quote from: mogzilla on 31 May, 2011, 10:14:10 PM
had our first nutter on ebay...

My missus got into eBay selling in a big way while on maternity leave - she's a crafty type (both senses) and started off making and selling stuff, then pleased with her success but lacking the time for the 'making' part she started flogging our possessions.  Then she had a brainwave, and decided to start selling broken crap she'd pick up for nothing at recycling centres and the last hour of parish sales.  Sometimes she breaks it down into spare parts (particularly for prams and baby buggies), sometimes she just takes a photo, says how it's broken, and waits.  The nutters she attracts are simply unbelievable, as are the prices she sometimes commands (example: a handful of small plastic dogs - a bidding war took them up to €20.00; a single clip for a rain cover for a buggy: €15.00; €27 for a single buggy wheel).  

Most recently she sold a crappy plastic toy horse.  It was broken off its stand, and missing an ear, actually a casting mistake rather than a breakage, and she included a photo and an 'item as shown' disclaimer, and noted the mistake and other damage etc.  She received a tirade of abuse from the buyer, "this horse is missing an ear, I have never been so disgusted or disappointed".  She explained that the listing had made that clear, more abuse came back.   Exasperated she offered a full refund (it was after all, some worthless crap she was chancing her arm with),  more abuse came back.  Then suddenly:  "I have fallen in love with this horse.  I'm going to try to repair its ear, but it gives it such character.  Thank you very much for this lovely piece".  

What.  The.  F**k.

Dandontdare

My mum was 80 in March and my dad will be 80 in November, so they're having a joint birthday garden party/barbecue in July. They asked me and my brothers what hols we had booked , and I said any weekend was fine except the 16th, when my best friend turns 50 - she's hosting a camping weekend for dozens of friends at Shell Island in Wales. The parent's do was therefore arranged for 23rd.

My friend has now moved her birthday bash to the 23rd to fit in with school hols for people who are bringing kids, meaning I can't go. I'm gutted - would have been a fantastic drink'n'drug fuelled weekend of nostalgia with lots of mates I haven't seen for ages.

Banners

Quote from: Dandontdare
...would have been a fantastic drink'n'drug fuelled weekend...

You could perhaps try to turn the 80th Birthday Garden Party into the same kind of event...?

Keef Monkey

I ordered a couple of dvds from Amazon.com (you can't seem to get them over here in the UK), paid for the dvds and international shipping, and just had a card from the postie saying they're holding the package until I pay a £12.99 customs charge because the postage was underpaid. Surely that sucks?