Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: Banners on 01 June, 2011, 08:59:01 AM
Quote from: Dandontdare
...would have been a fantastic drink'n'drug fuelled weekend...

You could perhaps try to turn the 80th Birthday Garden Party into the same kind of event...?

:lol:

House of Usher

Quote from: Tombo on 31 May, 2011, 11:01:18 PM
Quote from: House of Usher on 31 May, 2011, 05:15:30 PM
My pull-cord shower switch doesn't work. I'm sure it's the fourth one we've had in eight years.

Do you leave your shower switched on when its not in use? (I mean the power, not the water) because Mark (my bro) reckons that's what buggered ours, it causes some sort of welding effect on the circuits inside the switch.

No. We always switch it off. My partner wondered if that was the problem - that we'd overworked the switch! I did notice when I took the last broken switch off that some metal component had melted to slag. I may as well buy the next replacement before investigating what happened to this one. I very much doubt it's fixable.
STRIKE !!!

House of Usher

Quote from: Dandontdare on 01 June, 2011, 08:33:20 AM
My friend has now moved her birthday bash to the 23rd to fit in with school hols for people who are bringing kids, meaning I can't go. I'm gutted - would have been a fantastic drink'n'drug fuelled weekend of nostalgia with lots of mates I haven't seen for ages.

That kind of diary clash is terrible bad luck. I hate it when that happens.
STRIKE !!!

Mikey

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 01 June, 2011, 10:19:44 AM
...holding the package until I pay a £12.99 customs charge because the postage was underpaid. Surely that sucks?

Be thankful you're not being charged VAT for import and a handling fee for them keeping it for you. Sounds a bit odd that the PO are asking too - surely that would have been obvious to the USPS or whoever as it left the states.

My minor impediment is Castlewellan Gold trees. Specifically the stumps. There were a row of three in our garden, they were cut down around 3 years ago and I treated the stumps. We're going all outdoors an shit and getting a deck, so the overgrown area where the trees were needed clearing out. It took me total of around 12 hours to remove the stumps - and that was just leveling them to the existing garden surface. They were like 3ft fuckin dart boards - they hadn't began to rot, but had soaked up all moisture that came their way so wouldn't split when I axed the buggers. Had to saw through sections of sodden wood, which is not easy let em tell ye, then blatter off sections with a lump hammer and a hatchet. The roots were so well established I suspected if I removed the stump, the world would be sucked into the hole. My knees are killing me! If I ever meet the fella that planted them I'll punch him onna nose!

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

TordelBack

Quote from: House of Usher on 01 June, 2011, 02:00:40 PM
No. We always switch it off.

Probably should stop using it for your autoerotic asphyxiation needs, convenient though it obviously is.

House of Usher

I'll have you know I also refuse non-reusable carrierbags at the supermarket on planned shopping trips (but there are always oranges in the fruit bowl, and lemons in the fridge, and now and then satsumas).
STRIKE !!!

dangermouse3597

Quote from: House of Usher on 01 June, 2011, 02:00:40 PM
Quote from: Tombo on 31 May, 2011, 11:01:18 PM
Quote from: House of Usher on 31 May, 2011, 05:15:30 PM
My pull-cord shower switch doesn't work. I'm sure it's the fourth one we've had in eight years.

Do you leave your shower switched on when its not in use? (I mean the power, not the water) because Mark (my bro) reckons that's what buggered ours, it causes some sort of welding effect on the circuits inside the switch.

No. We always switch it off.

Check that the switch is actually a large enough current rating for the shower cos it sounds as if it isn't up to the job. You may need to upgrade the switch especially if your shower has been enlarged (assuming it's an electric shower not just a power shower)
Ken.

House of Usher

Quote from: dangermouse3597 on 01 June, 2011, 04:58:59 PM
Check that the switch is actually a large enough current rating for the shower cos it sounds as if it isn't up to the job. You may need to upgrade the switch especially if your shower has been enlarged (assuming it's an electric shower not just a power shower)

Top tip! I'd assumed my electrician knew what he was doing when he wired in the thing. I will check the current rating of both the old and the next switch on Friday before tackling the job.
STRIKE !!!

dangermouse3597

Quote from: House of Usher on 01 June, 2011, 05:04:35 PM
Quote from: dangermouse3597 on 01 June, 2011, 04:58:59 PM

Top tip! I'd assumed my electrician knew what he was doing when he wired in the thing. I will check the current rating of both the old and the next switch on Friday before tackling the job.

You'll need to check the shower current or the KW rating as well just to be on the safe side.
Ken.

House of Usher

STRIKE !!!

TordelBack

Ah electricity and water, was there ever a more fun mix?

dangermouse3597

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 June, 2011, 07:49:48 PM
Ah electricity and water, was there ever a more fun mix?
Yup how about electricity, water and gas? Sometimes my job even scares me....
Ken.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Peter Wolf

I dont get the purpose of electric showers and if your shower doubles up as a bath [over the bath] then just run the shower off the hot and cold water as you dont have electric baths.

Perhaps someone knows better than i do even though i have refurbished various flats and houses ?
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

vzzbux

I recently fitted an electric shower over my bath and it is fine. I replaced our very old one. With the electric shower you don't have to have you boiler on as it gives you instant hot water. Thermostats are a wonderful thing.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.