Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vzzbux

If both yours and you neighbours are doing the same and are running off the same antennae the only thing I can think of is that your roof antennae may be loose/knackered or there is a dodgy F connection on the coax feed.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

House of Usher

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 15 June, 2011, 08:15:20 AM
Ow.  My pinkie was trod on last night so I think I have my second broken finger in as many months.

Are you getting enough calcium?  :)
STRIKE !!!

vzzbux

I was supposed to be supervising today, just filling in as one had the day off but the work load was too heavy which but a stop to that. I have been waiting quite a while for that opportunity just to have it snatched from under me.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

radiator

...I finally caved in and got a LoveFilm subscription (using the 30 day free trial) - primarily to use the 'Watch Now' streaming function via the PS3 - but my word, what a fucking terrible selection of films they have! I'm actually shocked - literally 90% of it is unwatchable garbage, and there's nothing more recent than 2009 as far as I can tell. Will definitely be cancelling before the 30 days is up. As things are, it's certainly not worth £10 a month - and I could never be arsed with all the faffing about of posting discs.

They're going to have to come up with something better than this if they want to offer a viable legal alternative to torrents! Why oh why can't we have Netflix in the UK?

House of Usher

Wetherspoons had "run out of" Welsh rarebit.

How do you do that, then? Had the guy who grates the cheese and mixes it with beer or mustard gone home already? We were offered "just cheese on toast" as a substitute at the same cost. "What about cheese on toast plus some of that stilton and spring onion sauce for us to try?" I suggested. "I'll ask," he replied. I had to ask a second time when they brought the food.

Bloody good job too they brought us some warmed up stilton sauce: their idea of cheese on toast involved a cheese single on a slice of bread under a grill until the bread blackens - not quite a substitute for a named vintage cheddar mixed with some fancy real ale.
STRIKE !!!

radiator

My Xbox Live Gold Account has lapsed because my bank card expired. I'm fine with this, because I never use it and had been meaning to downgrade to silver. But logging on today I realised that rather than allow the account to revert back to silver - as it used to - Microsoft have suspended my entire account, blocking me from even logging in. The only way I can sort it is by calling their (US-based) 'support centre' at international rates, when of course they could just put a simple button on the Xbox dash, or the Xbox website, to do this.

I hate it when companies are so nakedly greedy and grasping, clinging on to you cash or details like that. I know I shouldn't expect any better of Microsoft but there you go.

I had a rather unpleasant exchange the other day with some call-centre type. I phoned to activate my new credit card, and suddenly found myself being sold insurance for it. I very firmly but politely told the guy on the other end that I wasn't interested and was calling to activate my card, not to buy anything. He kept asking me why I didn't want the insurance. I got increasingly frustrated with this, and in the end had to resort to being pretty harsh and rude to get him to shut up and end the call - I felt a little ashamed that I had lost my cool, but he was so damn persistent I was left with little choice. Things like that really sour me against companies who treat their customers in this way.

DrJomster

Radiator: lovefilm's ok for hacking through tv series.

The evidence. We own Oz up to season 5 but have stalled on 3. Whereas we're working our way through season 4 of the Wire quite nicely. Both are good tv.

But yeah, the "free" stuff... Well, that tells you why it's free! ;-)
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

radiator

The thing is, I know that i could never be arsed with posting DVDs back and forth. I'd rather just buy or download films. I'm pretty sure that lovefilm's business model is dependent on a percentage of customers who join but then let their usage lapse through laziness and never get round to cancelling their direct debit, and I don't want to be one of those people!

Online streaming really does appeal, and is surely the future, although it would seem that there is not a decent option for people in the uk as yet. The selection of streaming content that lovefilm offer (which is the same for all subscribers regardless of the free trial period) is laughably poor.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: House of Usher on 19 June, 2011, 08:57:15 PM
Wetherspoons had "run out of" Welsh rarebit.

How do you do that, then? Had the guy who grates the cheese and mixes it with beer or mustard gone home already? We were offered "just cheese on toast" as a substitute at the same cost. "What about cheese on toast plus some of that stilton and spring onion sauce for us to try?" I suggested. "I'll ask," he replied. I had to ask a second time when they brought the food.

Bloody good job too they brought us some warmed up stilton sauce: their idea of cheese on toast involved a cheese single on a slice of bread under a grill until the bread blackens - not quite a substitute for a named vintage cheddar mixed with some fancy real ale.

For years and years and years i thought it was called Welsh Rabbit.

Anyway let that unfortunate episode be a lesson to you as i am shocked and saddened that someone of your taste and refinement would even set foot inside a Wetherspoons.

There is a depression going on but things cant be that bad can they ?
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

TordelBack

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 20 June, 2011, 05:27:02 PM

You're not alone there, squire - particularly as it's still often spelled that way.  When (as a vegetarian stoodent) I finally discovered the happy truth, I started mainlining it, embarked on a long and fruitful project of perfecting my own recipe.  At one time most of my bedsit kitchen was given over to tabasco, paprika, mustards, beer, sometimes eggs and various cheeses as budget allowed. 

At some point I realised I was basically living on cheese on toast, but they were happy days.

Tiplodocus

tHANKS vzz, EVERYTHING IS ok NOW and has been for several days so fingers crossed.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Banners

Why do people who have sent emails from their iPhone feel the need to tell me about their chosen means of communication with the little "Sent from my iPhone" signature at the bottom of their messages? Do I put "sent from my crappy old laptop" at the foot of my emails...?

Michaelvk

Annoyingly smug as it is, I don't think they can do anything about it.. I think it's nailed into the iPhone's email app..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

House of Usher

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 20 June, 2011, 05:27:02 PM

You're not wrong there, Squire!

I found out last night (yes, via wikipedia!) that it was indeed called 'Welsh rabbit' from its first appearance c.1724 up until the nineteenth century when the 'rarebit' variation was invented. Whichever way you look at it, it's a slur on the Welsh: it either means that rabbit is the poor Englishman's meat and the poor Welshman's rabbit is cheese, or it means Welshman are inept hunters; if a Welshman goes out hunting rabbit, he's going to end up with cheese on toast for dinner.

At its most benign, 'Welsh rabbit' is gentle mockery of the Welsh having a renowned fondness for cheese, going back many hundreds of years, at least as far as Tudor times. The implication would be that the Welsh would just as happily eat cheese as freely available meat.
STRIKE !!!

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]