Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 06 April, 2012, 10:26:31 AM
I have to go to work today, when Jesus is out there dying. He needs me.

You just want first dibs on those sweet hipster sandals.

A.Cow

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 06 April, 2012, 10:26:31 AM
I have to go to work today, when Jesus is out there dying. He needs me.

Take no notice -- he does the same thing every year.  He's just an attention seeker.

Emperor

if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Roger Godpleton

Why isn't there any gum-based easter eggs? People like gum and they like chocolate. I know I would buy an Orbit easter egg and I think other people would appreciate getting 40 or so sticks of Doublemint in April.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

JayzusB.Christ

It's bitching time!

Last night while using a pub's wifi to check my e-mails, some drunken arsewipe approached me and told me I was a machinehead, obsessed with technology, and should interact with real people.  I told him he was making a ridiculous judgement about someone he didn't even know, he then told me he was joking and left.

I then listened to him not three feet away telling another guy at length how my generation, unlike his, has grown up without any sense of reality, and technology has made us 'too nervous to talk to real people in bars'.  This went on for some time till I left my e-mails and questioned him about it, he turned out to be 42, all of 5 years older than me.

The guy he was talking was 57 and very pleasant, and also very appreciative of technology and how it has made his life easier.  We let the other man rant on, and on, and on, and finally both left him to it.  I put the laptop away first though, telling him I knew it was upsetting him (oh, the guilty joy of petty digs).

Later on the first Harry Potter film (very popular here in Thailand) came on the telly and his rant turned to how this was 'propogating the idea that Eton-type public schools are superior to normal schools'.  I tried to tell him that it was a fun movie aimed at kids, but it didn't register with this master of real-life conversation, who came from Oxford and therefore 'has seen what it's like'. 

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Rog69

I have this week booked off work and we had planned on having a few fun days out with the kids because for once we're not completely broke thanks to my recent tax rebate.

My boiler has gone kaput and because of the bank holiday weekend I'm having trouble getting anyone out to look at it, so aside from the inconvenience of having no hot water and heating I also can't justify spending money going out on day trips because I have no idea how much I am going to have to pay out to get the boiler running again.

Bollocks.

The Enigmatic Dr X

My missus has utterly, utterly, knackered her back. By which I mean, she is unable to walk more than two or three steps without needing to rest for 10-15 minutes. She's spent the last three weeks on a sun lounger in our living room (the angle slightly reduces the pain) off her face on severadol (tablet morphine) and a variety of other pain-killers.

This after being in hospital for a week in March, where the consultant said (and I paraphrase): "no idea what's wrong with you, please bog off."

So. She's not working, I'm burning up a week of holidays looking after our three kids and I'm very, very grumpy about having to do everything in the house - from cleaning bogs to making food to ironing - plus doing the day job.

And there's no diagnosis, never mind prognosis.
Lock up your spoons!

von Boom

Backs are tricky. When I put my back out the doctor (I use the term loosely) told be essentially the same thing, although he showed me one thing that worked for me and eventually helped me recover.

When your wife lies down she should put rolled up blankets/towels under her knees. Her legs should make a 45 degree angle and her full weight should rest on the roll. This kept me from turning in bed and relieved the pressure on my back allowing me to sleep and heal.

I don't know if this will work for your missus, but it's worth a try. Hope things get better for you both soon.

JvB

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Memory foam mattress can make a huge difference to back pain.
You may quote me on that.

SmallBlueThing

Yes, christ yes, hope she's better soon. I suffer from my back too, after being lamped by a gentleman having a psychotic episode eight years ago, ging me whiplash. It recurs each year, necessitating volterol and/or diazepam and co-codamol and three days off work in agony. All the best to her, and you!

SBT

Roger Godpleton

Emperor

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 10 April, 2012, 07:29:06 PMThis after being in hospital for a week in March, where the consultant said (and I paraphrase): "no idea what's wrong with you, please bog off."

Sorry to hear that - my brother has just been hammered by sciatica and, despite not being quite as bad as your wife sounds, the hospital did all sorts to try and fix it: they had him strapped up, gave him pain killers, sent him off for nearly daily physio and took an X-ray of his spine. It sounds to me it might be an idea to go back to the doctors and strongly insist something more be done.

On the bog cleaning - I gave up using those foaming cludgie cleaners as squirting a bit of bleach around has the same effect unless you are heavily soiling the pan. Just do it before going to bed and remember to flush in the morning especially if you are planning number twos, as a free anal bleaching can occur.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

The Legendary Shark

There's no such thing as a free anal bleaching. There is always a price to be paid.

Always.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Roger Godpleton

According to Ricky Santorum, anal bleaching is MURDER.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]